Should I complete my sex-ed?

Spicy_Mochi

Spicy_Mochi

I never got “the talk” so I learned about sex through a dictionary, a child’s human anatomy book, and a birds & bees video on YouTube. (I know that’s for elementary school kids but I was too scared to look up any more) I know the very basics of sex but nothing about sex-transmitted diseases or anything that a sex-ed class would teach (I forgot to mention that I’m homeschooled) so now I’m debating whether I should learn more. As an ace person, I really don’t want to and I don’t think I’ll need it anytime soon, but that knowledge is kinda necessary isnit?

RoseGoesToYale

Knowledge is never a bad idea, even if you don't use it in daily life. Plus, certain diseases that happen to be STIs can be contracted non-sexually as well, and you wanna keep everything down there healthy even if you never have sex, so it's good to know about all that.

Planned Parenthood has a lot of really good sexual health info if you want to dive in. It's all very clinical, no gory details or pictures, just basic facts about reproductive health, how STIs spread, etc. They do use technical terms an explain them thoroughly, which can be really useful to learn because if something goes wrong down there, you want to be able to describe to a doctor what's going on as clearly as possible.

I learned a lot of what I know through a program called OWLS.  No, it is not Harry Potter themed.  :)  It is run by the Unitarian Church.  Oddly enough, they do a pretty good job with teaching about sex.

Lord Jade Cross

I learned what I know from the most reliable source ever: the internet XD

In all honesty now, there isn't any obligation to know about sex if it doesn't bother you but if you want to keep it in mind just in case, it never hurts to know. Knowledge is something no one can take away from you

Yes, you should definitely learn more sex ed content. There are topics that relate more to general anatomy or health instead of sexual activity, and those are important things to know. Plus, it doesn't hurt to know things, even about activities you don't intend to do. You can help friends with this knowledge. You can be prepared in the event that you ever do find yourself in a sexual situation, for whatever reason. You can develop well-informed opinions about topics that get turned into ideologically skewed debates and propaganda campaigns. Plus, there are some interesting topics. :D

cosmiclatte_97
1 hour ago, Spicy_Mochi said:

I never got “the talk” so I learned about sex through a dictionary, a child’s human anatomy book, and a birds & bees video on YouTube. (I know that’s for elementary school kids but I was too scared to look up any more) I know the very basics of sex but nothing about sex-transmitted diseases or anything that a sex-ed class would teach (I forgot to mention that I’m homeschooled) so now I’m debating whether I should learn more. As an ace person, I really don’t want to and I don’t think I’ll need it anytime soon, but that knowledge is kinda necessary isnit?

Hey love, learning is always good. As I've done it (being that one friend who actually ends up explaining things to my other friends regarding this issue), is viewing it simply as human nature, and thus as objectively as possible. Not much as me being in that situation, but rather understanding how my body (and others for that matter) work. What can happen in any given situation, what risks could possibly be there.  A lot of the information out there has more to do with health, hygiene, biology and safety than actual sex. I actually ended up learning more about myself and better understanding my (a)sexuality, how my experience as an asexual person is different from other sexualities, and gender identity in general through sex-ed. It might be a bit tantalizing, and you can take your time. You don't need to fully dive-down the rabbit whole of sex-ed. but learning and knowing is always worth it.

14 hours ago, Spicy_Mochi said:

Learning about your own sexual health is good. That doesnt mean being sexually active - it means how to spot an infection down there, or an ingrown hair, how to avoid STIs (which means more than just not having sex), how to do proper hygiene of the area, what happens with it as you age and complications you may run into, etc. All of that is part of a good sex ed class. 

I would recommend learning more, though of course you're entitled to your boundaries when it comes to graphic content.

You never know when knowledge is going to come in handy. For example, I've never needed contraception for actual contraceptive purposes, but I ended up on the contraceptive implant for years because it stopped my periods. And as several people have already pointed out, it's always good to know about your body, hygiene, etc.

Absolutely yes. Unfortunately due to the way schools systems are structured, "sex education" includes not just sexual activity, but reproductive health as well. And knowing how to do self-examinations and how to talk to a doctor when things change can possibly save your life. 

(Says the person who procrastinated on following up on a self-exam until it was kidney-stone level pain. Fortunately, it cleared up with antibiotics.)

everywhere and nowhere
On 3/29/2020 at 7:01 AM, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

Personally I don't think it's necessary if you know you're never going to have sex.

Knowledge is good in itself. It's always beneficial to learn new things.

Most of sex ed was/is useless to me, and I can definitely say there's a lot I'd rather I didn't know.  Ignorance is bliss, sometimes.

Spicy_Mochi
On 3/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

Knowledge is never a bad idea, even if you don't use it in daily life. Plus, certain diseases that happen to be STIs can be contracted non-sexually as well, and you wanna keep everything down there healthy even if you never have sex, so it's good to know about all that.

Planned Parenthood has a lot of really good sexual health info if you want to dive in. It's all very clinical, no gory details or pictures, just basic facts about reproductive health, how STIs spread, etc. They do use technical terms an explain them thoroughly, which can be really useful to learn because if something goes wrong down there, you want to be able to describe to a doctor what's going on as clearly as possible.

This looks great. 😅 thank you!

Spicy_Mochi
11 hours ago, KiraS said:

Absolutely yes. Unfortunately due to the way schools systems are structured, "sex education" includes not just sexual activity, but reproductive health as well. And knowing how to do self-examinations and how to talk to a doctor when things change can possibly save your life. 

(Says the person who procrastinated on following up on a self-exam until it was kidney-stone level pain. Fortunately, it cleared up with antibiotics.)

Oof I hope youre feeling ok now ❤

Oh, yeah. It was back at the beginning of the year. 

Archived