Exercising while stuck inside

Skittles87

I'm looking for ideas about good ways to exercise while I'm stuck inside. Does anyone know of any fun online exercise classes to take? Got any hacks for exercising without gym equipment? How do you stay motivated?

I'm open to any type of exercise (strength, cardio, toning, etc) as I need it more for my mental health than physical. All tips welcome!

I have a few YouTuber suggestions! You dont need equipment well maybe a mat but one of them does even bed exercises and no jumping so if you have neighbors! 

They both have challenges and routines as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGEK5_U-kLgO6-AMDPeTUQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChloesAddiction

I was doing very well but when work and uni piled up I just couldnt get the energy but honestly do a little even if its ten minutes. It will really help cause at least you have done something!

Scottthespy

Youtube has a ton of Zumba, yoga, and dance classes, and the videos for a lot of Dance Dance Revolution songs (a video game where you stomp on the designated arrows in time to the music). You can also look up plenty of videos and written explanations for exercises that use your body weight instead of equipment, that can be done in any living room. 

Pushups, squats, lunges. If you don’t have any dumbbells you can use water bottles as makeshift ones.

Lord Jade Cross
24 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

Dance Dance Revolution songs (a video game where you stomp on the designated arrows in time to the music). 

-When you remember the last DDR machine you were able to lay your eyes on which had your records from years past still intact. All those memories, all those fun times and then.... it was taken out of commission-

Janus the Fox

Lucky to have a treadmill myself

I know just the app for you! It's called "Workout Women". It's free on the app store (I'm not sure about android) and it doesn't have an in-app purchases! (gosh do I hate those...a lot of apps claim to be good but all of the good stuff requires payment 🙄

It has daily motivations and a bunch of workout plans or quick workouts for specific areas of the body as well as yoga, all from home without any equipment! 

It's fantastic! You should check it out! 

If it's more for mental health / general fitness (rather than stringent workout / muscle building):

Definitely seconding DDR (or any similar app) - you'll just have to get a dance pad (which is about $20)

Tons of fun!

That being said - you shouldn't have to be stuck inside! :)

If you'd rather exercise outside, I'm fairly certain all the countries and states that have announced lock-downs have made exceptions for exercising (and even for those that haven't - it'd be on them to prove you're not jogging to the grocery store! ;D)

RoseGoesToYale

If you have a broom and a mop, unscrew the heads and tie socks to the bottoms of the poles and use them to nordic walk around the house?

(If your place is large enough for the full-body movements...)

MakeupJunkie4
1 hour ago, Scottthespy said:

Youtube has a ton of Zumba, yoga, and dance classes, and the videos for a lot of Dance Dance Revolution songs (a video game where you stomp on the designated arrows in time to the music). You can also look up plenty of videos and written explanations for exercises that use your body weight instead of equipment, that can be done in any living room. 

OMG DDR....those were the days! I was never any good at it, but it sure was fun!

Scottthespy

@Jade Cross The fiends! 

@Dreamer23  You don't necessarily need the mat if you're using youtube videos, you can just pretend, or make the vague movements. I do it frequently when I'm away from my setup. Also isn't it kind of socially irresponsible to be going out just for exercise if the country is in bad enough shape to be imposing martial law?

Just Dance and Wii Fit if you have them. Or gardening. You can’t go out into the streets but if you have a private garden doing some maintenance is good exercise. 

Spicy_Mochi

Just dance and Wii sports were how I kept fit before my disks got destroyed. Now I just look up area specific workout stuff to do. I like to do planks, air chairs, sit-ups, pushups, upside down sit-ups, lifting weights, lunges, squats, jumprope and jogging outside. Listen to pump up music as you exercise. I like fallout boy, eurobeat, and falling in reverse. But I’m weird XD

Dont forget to stretch! 

Spicy_Mochi
38 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

I run on a mini trampoline.

I’m sorry but how are you supposed to run on a trampoline? *confuzzled noises*

andreas1033

Get yourself, a bit of rope, and use it to skip. Skipping, is just as good as jogging, but your on the spot, and not moving.

As long as you have around 8 feet by 4 feet space, you can do it.

Put some catchy music on. Then start...

Disinfect doors, door frames, switches. Clean all windows. Clean the cupboards. Remove dust up the walls and lamps: when working on high places, straighten your core and watch your balance. Then scrub the tiles. These are great muscle building for arms and shoulders. There are some youtube 'housework fitness" routines about with some good ideas but also very unsafe or unpractical moves. Keep your back straight, be careful, warm up and stretch.

Pros: You may feel better at home afterwards and some of these exercices are effective against the virus.

Cons: You may feel physically broken for a few days

There's a website which is my go-to for workouts at home, don't ask me how to pronounce it but it's called Darebee

You can search their database for a workout based on what equipment you have, what your focus is, what body part you'd like to target, and difficulty - and I don't think I've done the same routine twice. There are also challenges that go for weeks or months!

If you have a stairs, there are step exercises a person can do (i.e. from the bottom of the stairs, stepping up and down one stair).

One athlete in France decided to jog a marathon back and forth, on his balcony; the story and video about him went viral, recently.

1 hour ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

If you have a broom and a mop, unscrew the heads and tie socks to the bottoms of the poles and use them to nordic walk around the house?...

That sounds intriguing. Do you mean on a linoleum floor, wood floor, or carpet?

Since I've slipped a few times on linoleum floors, wearing socks and just trying to walk across, I'd kind of worry that one of the poles might slip underneath and cause someone to fall.

RoseGoesToYale
1 minute ago, LeChat said:

That sounds intriguing. Do you mean on a linoleum floor, wood floor, or carpet?

Since I've slipped a few times on linoleum floors, wearing socks and just trying to walk across, I'd kind of worry that one of the poles might slip underneath and cause someone to fall.

Yeah, if the floor's too slippery, perhaps not. Unless you had something rubber/grippy to put on the bottoms?

Always try at your own risk. And wear grippy tennis shoes no matter what exercise you're doing!

1 hour ago, Scottthespy said:

@Dreamer23  You don't necessarily need the mat if you're using youtube videos, you can just pretend, or make the vague movements. I do it frequently when I'm away from my setup. Also isn't it kind of socially irresponsible to be going out just for exercise if the country is in bad enough shape to be imposing martial law?

No, no it's not, otherwise we wouldn't have that exception.

As long as you stay away from others, you're putting neither yourself nor anyone else at any risk whatsoever by going outside to exercise.

10 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Lucky to have a treadmill myself

I saw a video of someone who made a "makeshift treadmill". Basically he just put washing up liquid on the floor to make it slippery, then held on to his kitchen counter and walked. Very ingenious!

Janus the Fox
3 hours ago, Skittles87 said:

I saw a video of someone who made a "makeshift treadmill". Basically he just put washing up liquid on the floor to make it slippery, then held on to his kitchen counter and walked. Very ingenious!

Interesting if a little sounding dangerous taking that to a run pace.  This is cool and all, though I’d be to scared to wear down my shoes and floor to do this lol 😛

I've just read about this: 

(from https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article241491776.html)

Gyms may be closed, but that shouldn’t stop you from getting your fitness on.

Planet Fitness is offering live workout videos every day on Facebook. Gold’s Gym has more than 600 audio and video workouts for free until the end of May. Peloton is offering its full library of yoga, meditation, strength, cycling and running tuitorials free for 90 days...

20 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

If you have a broom and a mop, unscrew the heads and tie socks to the bottoms of the poles and use them to nordic walk around the house?

(If your place is large enough for the full-body movements...)

I'm staying at my parents' house so probably shouldn't take their broom and mop apart, but thanks for the suggestion!

19 hours ago, MakeupJunkie444 said:

OMG DDR....those were the days! I was never any good at it, but it sure was fun!

I was soooooo bad at DDR!

19 hours ago, Scottthespy said:

Also isn't it kind of socially irresponsible to be going out just for exercise if the country is in bad enough shape to be imposing martial law?

There's a field outside where I can exercise far away from anyone, but I do plan to get into the habit of exercising indoors.

19 hours ago, Saphoune said:

Put some catchy music on. Then start...

Disinfect doors, door frames, switches. Clean all windows. Clean the cupboards. Remove dust up the walls and lamps: when working on high places, straighten your core and watch your balance. Then scrub the tiles. These are great muscle building for arms and shoulders. There are some youtube 'housework fitness" routines about with some good ideas but also very unsafe or unpractical moves. Keep your back straight, be careful, warm up and stretch.

Pros: You may feel better at home afterwards and some of these exercices are effective against the virus.

Cons: You may feel physically broken for a few days

Nice try "Saphoune", I know it's you, Mum!

20 hours ago, Scottthespy said:

...Also isn't it kind of socially irresponsible to be going out just for exercise if the country is in bad enough shape to be imposing martial law?

:) Health officials have said it's okay to exercise outdoors, as long as people maintain distance from each other. Also, some people live out in rural areas, where there aren't many people.

Of course, in some cities, people have mentioned that some city parks/trails are becoming more crowded with people exercising. So, naturally, that's a different situation, where it might be a little more difficult for city people to find places to exercise outdoors, without many people around.

https://www.today.com/health/can-i-run-outside-during-coronavirus-it-ok-go-walk-t176256

Archived