what was your favorite cartoon show?

Yeast

What was your favorite cartoon show when you were a kid? This forum spans a very broad age spectrum and is multinational. There may be some interesting comments. As for myself I'm old enough to remember the golden age of television. Jay Ward and Hanna/Barbara were the pioneers of this new medium. Ward was the creator of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Like Shakespeare, the series played to a double audience. Kids liked the silly humor and adults enjoyed the fact the cartoon was actually political satire.  Hanna/Barbara must have created dozens of shows. Yogi Bear and the Flintstones were their most popular, at least when I watched Saturday morning cartoon shows. Scooby Doo became popular as I began high school. I never enjoyed it much because perhaps Hanna/Barbara seemed to deliberately make the story line awful. The monster is always revealed to be just some money hungry crook who at the end invariably says : and I could have gotten away with it if it weren't for those darn kids!  The internet and cable TV were born about the time I became a young adult. I enjoyed a lot of things on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. All of it tended to be independent cartoon studios which had a delightfully refreshing style. Dexter's Lab and the Powerpuff Girls looked nothing like the cartoons I watched as a child. MTV featured Liquid Television with an even broader range of material. I eventually came to like Beavis and Butthead. It seems we had the same musical tastes. They often had clips of my favorite music videos at the time. We both seemed to like weird stuff. Google The art of Noise - close to the edit to see what I mean.  This was about the end of my cartoon watching. I never saw any of the Simpsons or South Park.  I suppose cartoons have been replaced with what Dreamworks and Pixar produce.

I hesitate between Captain Harlock and Transformers.

When i was a child i’ve watched almost everything you just said. But i especially loved the Winnie the pooh series. Disney movies/series in general was my biggest favorite until i became teenager where i actually hated cartoons, but deep down inside i knew that i loved cartoons and still do. But as i got older i began loving the disney animated 20’s cartoons. And i absolutely loved and still do love the studio ghibli movies.

Even Stevens, Doug, Hey Arnold, Recess, Pepper Ann, Scooby Doo, Fairly OddParents, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Rugrats, Yu-Gi-Oh, the 90's Batman animated series, 90's X-Men.. And a ton more that I'm forgetting.

blunose2772

Anamanics, Pinky and The Brain, and Freakazoid 

There are far too many - I don't think I could pick one favourite. The Jetsons and The Real Ghostbusters were great, for example.

Grey-Ace Ventura

Total Drama seasons 1-3

Grumpy Alien

I didn’t like cartoons very much and still don’t, usually. But my favourite show as a kid happened to be The Rugrats.

Moved from Asexual Musings and Rantings to Off-A

Ben8884 Moderator for Asexual Musings and Rantings

I think my favourite would have been Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

Ad a child for me, I loved both Warner brothers and hanna Barbara cartoons.

My favourite cartoons were being animaniacs, pinky & the brain, bugs bunny, tweety & sylvester, roadrunner & wiley coyote, flintstones, jetsons, wacky races, captain planet, Tom & Jerry. 

2 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

I think my favourite would have been Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

Oh, I really liked those. 

Oh, yeah, SAILOR MOON! That's my bae, ya'll

and here's Pluto with her bangin' DEAD. SCREAM.

OblongJubilantDeer-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, Siguy said:

Bojack Horseman

As a kid? lol

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go (SRMTHFG!) and Gargoyles were probably my top two faves. Also loved Dexter's Lab, Recess, and Courage the Cowardly Dog

I liked all kinds of cartoons as a kid. Although I was a kid in the 90's I still watched stuff like the old school Scooby Doo and Rocky and Bullwinkle when it came on Cartoon Network, plus the typical 90's kid cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life, The Rugrats, Dexter's Laboratory. Also I've been watching The Simpsons for like as long as I can remember since my parents sometimes let me watch adult cartoons like that. I saw a few episodes of Beavis and Butthead and when I watched the movie when I was like 6 and I remember thinking that Beavis wanted a teepee, like an Indian teepee, during the part where he kept saying he wanted TP. My parents didn't let me watch South Park but I did end up seeing the episode where Ike gets circumcised because my mom's 21 year old cousin was living with us and had it on our living room TV one time when my parents weren't home. She was like "Don't tell your mom!" xD.

The ones that immediately come to mind:

Transformers

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the original)

The Simpsons (not a kids' show, but I, like many others, watched it as a kid. Watching these episodes now, there are tons of jokes I never would've gotten as a kid, either because they were too US-specific or referenced pop culture I'd never heard of)

Batman: The Animated Series (recently got this on Blu-Ray, still a great show)

Duke Memphis

SpongeBob SquarePants. I still watch it.

I can't possibly pick a favourite. I'll just rattle a few off as they come into my head:

Tom and Jerry, Road Runner, Bugs Bunny, the Pink Panther (which also featured the Ant and the Aardvark, Crazy Legs Crane, and The Inspector cartoons), He-Man, She-Ra, Thundercats, Ulysses 31, Inspector Gadget, Batfink.

Dastardly and Muttley in their flying machines. Nobody ever seems to mention or remember this. It was a Wacky Races spin off but was way better than Wacky Races in my opinion.

The Raccoons. This was really good Saturday morning viewing. The soft rock track that accompanies the closing credits was an amazing tune.

Anybody remember Fantastic Max, or Potsworth and Company? Those were both great! 

All of the cartoons I have mentioned above are American (with the exception of the Raccoons which is Canadian), because let's face it, they are generally the best. There are a couple of French cartoons I could mention though:

The Mysterious Cities of Gold (Les Mystérieuses Cités d'Or). This was a joint Franco/Japanese production and was truly epic. The series seemed to go on and on and never end! The theme tune was incredible too. What was really good about this show is that at the end of every cartoon, each episode featured a short real life documentary where they talked about the real places that the cartoon story was based on.

The Asterix animated films. Asterix is generally more known as featuring in comics, especially in France, but I also enjoyed the cartoon films. My favourites are Asterix and Cleopatra, and the Twelve Tasks of Asterix. 

Il Était Une Fois La Vie. This was better known in English speaking countries as Once Upon a Time... Life. Not the best cartoon, but I enjoyed it at the time. It was meant to be an educational series and it all took place inside the human body.

Oh geez, I've seen so many different cartoons from different eras, it's hard to remember them all. I too watched The Raccoons but I had no idea it was a Canadian show. On school mornings I would get up a little early for Merry Melodies but wasn't able to stay awake for it. On Saturday mornings I watched Garfield and Friends, recording it on VHS a lot of the time, same with The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show. I too have seen Rocky and Bullwinkle, in syndication of course; I believe that was also broadcast early in the morning. I watched TaleSpin all the time which was part of the Disney Afternoon so no problem staying up for that, same with Goof Troop. Oh yeah, I too have seen the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; if I'm not mistaken I was wearing my TMNT fleece pants in a photo of me taken during recess (another relic) in sixth grade. I watched a lot of Inspector Gadget, and there was Astroboy (Edit: I saw the 1980 series, didn't know there was more than one) which I believe was one of the first anime series, if not THE first.

I may add more as I think of them.

The Flintsones 

Then 

Wacky Races 

The Dreamstone 

Battle of the Planets

Tom and Jerry

Bugs Bunny

Scooby Doo

Roobarb and Custard 

All the rest of the Hannah Barbera, Loony Tunes, Merrie Melodies clique 

Bugs Bunny and Road Runner. In fact Road Runner was an engineering favorite in college and the engineering department would rent reels of Road Runner films (this was the early 80’s before  VCR’s were widespread) for the end of semester parties. 

6 hours ago, Starbogen said:

Courage the Cowardly Dog

I saw what was probably the piolet on liquid TV. It was called the smart talk with raisin show.  Coward was cast as a magician who pulled a pair of kid's teacher out of a hat. Perhaps the most surreal cartoon on liquid TV was a series called Aeon Flux. It would have been a real addition to the first heavy metal movie, but the strip was never in the magazine. I watched a lot of the original jetsons as a kid. The only thing they got right about the future seemed to be large flat screen TV's. Amusing to see them living with flying cars and sentient robots but still using desk phones. 

Hm...

I'd say when I was at single digit age: Thundercats

Then at lower double-digit age: Digimon

Both awesome shows! :D

Still in my mind (and obviously objectively as well ;P) among the best shows any human could ever conceive of! xD

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (first one), Sonic the Hedgehog (Sat-AM version), Rocky & Bullwinkle, and Danger Mouse.

Preschool & Early Elementary School: Edd, Ed n Eddy

Later Part of Elementary School: Adventure Time, Total Drama

Middle School: Regular Show

High School & Now: Steven Universe

Archived