Old/crazy laws

Arodash

1 minute ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

Well... Yes. I assume “base” means military? Which is its own kind of weird snobbery. But Cape May is just a lot of old wealthy people.

And if you like pumping your own gas, you’re a shoob. Embrace it. Facts.

US Coast Guard training site is there in Cape May, its where all new recruits go for their basic training, Thats where I lived and yes. Very old wealthy people and pffft I'm not letting someone else put gas in my Jeep! Not like theres anyone who will in Maine we dont have full service stations

Grumpy Alien
2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

US Coast Guard training site is there in Cape May, its where all new recruits go for their basic training, Thats where I lived and yes. Very old wealthy people and pffft I'm not letting someone else put gas in my Jeep! Not like theres anyone who will in Maine we dont have full service stations

500% Shoobie.

To not “derail” the thread, I’ll throw in the fantastic “crazy” law of New Jersey gas stations. Can’t pump your own gas.

3 minutes ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

500% Shoobie.

To not “derail” the thread, I’ll throw in the fantastic “crazy” law of New Jersey gas stations. Can’t pump your own gas.

I challenge you to a duel at dawn, we shall fight with toasters!

In DC its illegal to "pretend your parents are rich" I guess congress doesnt want you making people think one of them is your parent Heyo!

So this one is some crazy, not really laws, but, a ban that exists in EU countries and in the US and its that.... gay men cant donate blood. Most EU countries and in the US its not a permenant ban like some other countries. But I still think its uh, pretty ridiculous since donated blood goes through very rigorous testing and STDs are not exclusive to homosexuals

56 minutes ago, Arodash said:

So this one is some crazy, not really laws, but, a ban that exists in EU countries and in the US and its that.... gay men cant donate blood. Most EU countries and in the US its not a permenant ban like some other countries. But I still think its uh, pretty ridiculous since donated blood goes through very rigorous testing and STDs are not exclusive to homosexuals

They still pose a higher risk than hetros and lesibens have the lowest risk. It can take six months for hiv to show up in a blood test. They also defer people with new piercings and tattoos. The restrictions are there to limit risk to patients who are already sick or dying.

11 minutes ago, Jethro said:

They still pose a higher risk than hetros and lesibens have the lowest risk. It can take six months for hiv to show up in a blood test. They also defer people with new piercings and tattoos. The restrictions are there to limit risk to patients who are already sick or dying.

Finally! Someone apart from google who has an answer for me as to why this is, thank you very much

5 hours ago, Arodash said:

Then again Jersey is a state where you arent allowed to pump your own gas

Who doesn't pump their own fuel? That is sorta weird.

15 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Who doesn't pump their own fuel? That is sorta weird.

It's not allowed in Oregon either. I'm not sure why, but it comes in handy on our not infrequent rainy days. On the other hand it can take longer, if you have to wait for an attendant.

4 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

New Jersey

Do you know Somers Point?

Grumpy Alien
4 hours ago, daveb said:

Do you know Somers Point?

I do! That’s closer to my hometown than Cape May.

8 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

I do! That’s closer to my hometown than Cape May.

I've never been there, but had family there in the past.

In Portland Maine it is illegal to tickle a woman under the chin with a feather duster

SorryNotSorry

The CA law that says your vehicle's headlights must be on whenever the windshield wipers  are on too. I don't understand the reason for that at all.

4 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

The CA law that says your vehicle's headlights must be on whenever the windshield wipers  are on too. I don't understand the reason for that at all.

Most states have that one because if its raining you should have them on

6 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Because when you need windshield wipers you and all the other drivers have reduced visibility. By having your headlights on other drivers can see you.

Blaiddmelyn

In the UK, you can't handle salmon suspiciously.

Someone once told me that ice cream trucks can't play their jingle in the City of London (not to be confused with the city of London) - I don't know how true that is but it is true that I only ever heard one ice cream truck play its jingle in the years I worked there...

7 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

That's one of the best laws in the world. Wipers on, lights on, then your fellow road users can see you. 

1 hour ago, Blaiddmelyn said:

In the UK, you can't handle salmon suspiciously.

Taken out of context that sounds crazy. But I've just googled the Salmon Act 1986 and I can't quite see what's so bad about protecting wild salmon? If anything the Scottish authorities seem not to be concerned enough about wild salmon, in particular (at least recently) sea lice coming from intensive salmon farming. The Norwegian authorities are much stricter and do threaten salmon farms with closure if they have a sea lice problem and don't get it under control.

Blaiddmelyn
52 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Taken out of context that sounds crazy. But I've just googled the Salmon Act 1986 and I can't quite see what's so bad about protecting wild salmon? If anything the Scottish authorities seem not to be concerned enough about wild salmon, in particular (at least recently) sea lice coming from intensive salmon farming. The Norwegian authorities are much stricter and do threaten salmon farms with closure if they have a sea lice problem and don't get it under control.

It's the width of the law more than anything. That's where most bizarre quirks come from - not the intention but what it actually catches.

To take two examples close to my heart:

- In England and Wales, the grant of share options to employees under an organised set of rules that only permits participation by employees is usually legal. The grant of share options to employees under an organised set of rules that permits theoretical participation by a non-employee director is a potential criminal offence, notwithstanding that there may be no practical distinction between the two scenarios. The law that causes this aims to prevent people advertising financial products outside a regulated environment. It's very widely drafted and the exception that the first sentence falls into is narrowly drafted, probably unintentionally. But there you go, you end up with this technical but rather critical distinction simply because of how the legislation is drafted.

- In England and Wales, if your employer grants you a share option, and then gives a friendly shareholder some cash to set aside some shares for you when you come to exercise the option, you might be taxed the moment the shareholder sets aside those shares, rather than when you acquire them - and even if you never acquire them. This is because there's an anti-avoidance tax law that tries to stop people claiming that money etc paid by a third party for services can't be employment income/tries to stop people using trusts to pay salaries via loans that will never be repaid but it's so widely drafted, it catches a lot of innocent transactions such as asking someone to warehouse shares for your employee with the full intention that if the employee gets the shares, he'll pay tax on them.

Law is full of things like that. The context is lovely but it's usually only half the story.

32 minutes ago, bobbypin said:

In Seattle, supposedly if a woman sits on a man's lap on a bus or train without putting a pillow between them, they risk a six-month jail term.

Hahahhahahahahah

2 hours ago, bobbypin said:

Wait, it didn't even occur to me that the pillow might be to prevent anything sexual from happening....Is that why? Heh. 😶

Thats kinda what im thinking! 

20 minutes ago, Zyph said:

Apparently, here in Florida, you're not allowed to sing in a public place while you're wearing a swimsuit.

Well darn. There goes my plans to acapella in a speedo

Archived