Aromantic but not asexual and I need advice

palutunau

Hello all. I identify as an aromantic lesbian (I guess? pretty sure about the lesbian part but the aromantic part is new) and I have a lovely girlfriend who does not know. I'm in high school and generally have had really bad experiences with romance. My girlfriend and I are trying this relationship thing after being on-again-off-again for the past year and a bit; each of the breakups was because I was unsure of what I wanted. Today I skinned my knees biking and told my girlfriend so. She jokingly sends a text saying "haha wish I could kiss it better." Cue me being really uncomfortable and realizing after talking to my aro-ace friend that I'm probably aromantic as well.

How do I approach my girlfriend about this? I'm sure she doesn't want me to feel uncomfortable but a lack of romance in a romantic relationship might just be a dealbreaker. We're still young and we don't have sex, rarely even kiss, so I'm not sure how sexual attraction factors into it. But, the thing is, I'd much rather spend time with my friends than go on a "date" and romantic affection makes me super uneasy. I feel that she deserves to know, but I don't know how to bring it up.

Be honest and break up. You're only going to hurt yourself by continuing this. There's also no point in dragging it out. I'd just be straightfoward about it. There's not much else you can do. Break up and keep it as that.

If romance makes you uncomfortable, then why continue to be in that position? You know what you want kid. Go hang with your friends. 

HonoraryJedi

If you are very young, it is worth to consider this: Is romantic attraction something you just don't experience, or do you simply not have those feelings for your girlfriend anymore? Or well, maybe it isn't that worth to consider, because what matters to your current situation is this:

On 3/22/2020 at 5:38 AM, palutunau said:

But, the thing is, I'd much rather spend time with my friends than go on a "date" and romantic affection makes me super uneasy.

This makes it time to stop dating, no? Stop doing romantic things that makes you queasy. And yes, that does sound like it is synonymous with breaking up.

Archived