Do you think testosterone will affect my demisexuality?

I'm not gonna be on testosterone for a few years (money) but I'm wondering if it will affect my demisexuality? I mean there are thing sexuality/mentally I'd love it to change and I imagine those certain things with be affected in the way I want. I just don't want my demisexuality to be touched... 

anisotrophic

Why? I mean... yeah, why, I guess. I could describe what I’ve personally experienced, but I’m not sure what people mean when they call themselves demisexual, so I’m not sure what’s relevant.

You can never tell what hormones are going to do, but a lot of people tend to feel pretty  major changes in their sex drive., I don't know what to expect, but change seems likely.

Janus the Fox

I’ve seen the same question a few times, it can feel like a ‘probably not’.  Though reading plenty of HRT Sexuality changes with the Libido, it could or even may not change the sexuality at all.

I think the idea behind it is that it introduces the right hormone the mind and body becomes harmonious.

Of course though there’s many cases that the sexuality does not change or even experience Asexuality once the body and mind does become harmonious.

Every experience is different and an individual thing.  Perhaps with my own Transition it could awakening a sense of Heterosexuality as a Female or the harmony of the body and mind further removes a Libido or experience a more harmonious Asexuality, provided that my Agender stage of Transition to strip away my male sex isn’t the most harmonious stage to stay at. 

I plan to be tested to see if I need testosterone due to non-sexual related health problems. My research shows that testosterone stimulates libido. Also, testosterone in ointment is much cheaper than shots or gel capsule.

Minty greens

It will affect your libido for sure, but I don't know if it will affect your sexuality. Some people see a shift in that once starting hormones, but many don't

It can. If sex hormones influence anything, sexual preferences and libido are the thing they have the most impact on. Let’s also be honest: they have impact on personality, mood, how your emotions work internally. A curious thing is that a lot of transgender people discover that they are gay once they take hormones (trans man attracted to men, a trans woman who is a lesbian), when they previously identified as straight or asexual. 

anisotrophic

If they were previously straight, then their orientation didn’t change??

But yes orientation changes do sometimes happen. So far I’m just higher libido, more aggressive — standard fare really. All in all, less feeling needy of my partner's interest/desire.

Since I don’t understand what @KrysLost meant by demi it's hard to say whether it (what is "it"??) might be "touched".

15 minutes ago, Emery. said:

A curious thing is that a lot of transgender people discover that they are gay once they take hormones (trans man attracted to men, a trans woman who is a lesbian), when they previously identified as straight or asexual. 

Interesting. I know a trans man who identified as asexual until they transitioned socially and took testosterone in their mid 20s, and are now a gay man. 

4 minutes ago, anisotrophic said:

Um, I meant straight in the aspect of who the are internally, not outwardly. So a trans man who is attracted to women, a trans woman attracted to men. 

Demisexuality is when someone needs to establish a friendship before they feel sexually attracted to someone. No offence to the OP, but it’s very typical for women. 

anisotrophic
1 hour ago, Emery. said:

Demisexuality is when someone needs to establish a friendship before they feel sexually attracted to someone. No offence to the OP, but it’s very typical for women.

I've been around AVEN a while and it's clear that people use "demisexual" to mean a variety of things. From "if I like someone, maybe I'm ok with giving them sex" to "I have a strong desire for sex with someone I'm in love with, but I want no one else in the entire world & no one else can fill that need".

The latter is a hilariously poor & heartbreaking combo with an ace partner, and yet people walk in all the time thinking demi/ace is somehow a good idea, smh.

1 minute ago, anisotrophic said:

I've been around AVEN a while and it's clear that people use "demisexual" to mean a variety of things. From "if I like someone, maybe I'm ok with giving them sex" to "I have a strong desire for sex with someone I'm in love with, but I want no one else in the entire world & no one else can fill that need".

The latter is a hilariously poor & heartbreaking combo with an ace partner, and yet people walk in all the time thinking demi/ace is somehow a good idea, smh.

Oh. Right. I get it. 

It will affect your libido for sure

Not necessarily.  It might be a common sort of result, but it definitely isn't a sure thing.

I had people telling me this before I went on T shots, to the point where I (as a nonlibidoist) was getting genuinely concerned.  Nothing ended up changing in that regard.

My trans male spouse (who is therefore getting a lot more T than I was, and a lot more regularly too) doesn't report feeling any different either.

Yep.  This is why I don't agree with the concept of an ace "spectrum/umbrella" and I definitely don't think demis should be considered aces.

Being able to sometimes relate to ace experiences is still not the same as actually being ace.

anisotrophic

I'd say it became much easier for me to get aroused -- and this become more noticeable when I went to a dose targeting cismale range. Maybe that’s what I meant with “libido” but maybe it’s different.

Expression of desire changed some too, hard to put a finger on it, more spontaneous, less hesitant. I haven’t started wanting to screw random people. 😛

41 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

I had people telling me this before I went on T shots

Um, can I ask out of curiousity how this affected you as an AMAB person? Physically, psychologically? 

For me, um, I think my starting level of libido is hard to beat :P

5 hours ago, anisotrophic said:

But yes orientation changes do sometimes happen. So far I’m just higher libido, more aggressive — standard fare really. All in all, less feeling needy of my partner's interest/desire.

Since I don’t understand what @KrysLost meant by demi it's hard to say whether it (what is "it"??) might be "touched".

Now, despite my dysphoria, I know I'm demisexual/demiromantic. I'm worried about this changing and feeling sexual attraction like other people do because I'd rather not deal with that burden. Actually it sounds horrifying to be attracted to someone you're deeply familiar with. Though in my case, it sounds horrifying to be attracted to real people. 

5 hours ago, Emery. said:

Um, I meant straight in the aspect of who the are internally, not outwardly. So a trans man who is attracted to women, a trans woman attracted to men. 

That friendship has to do or die for me. It takes years to build up. 

1 hour ago, Emery. said:

Um, can I ask out of curiousity how this affected you as an AMAB person? Physically, psychologically?

Pretty much not in any perceivable way, other than temporarily showing as having a "normal" testosterone level on blood tests taken during the time I was receiving monthly T shots.  But because I felt no difference, I didn't continue with the treatment past a year.

I wasn't transitioning or anything, but my blood tests were originally showing lower than normal T levels, hence I went on monthly shots for a while to see if they would improve my overall mood/energy levels.  I apparently wasn't receiving nearly as much T as someone who's transitioning would be (at least if I do a comparison of what I was getting to what my spouse is now getting) so if you're someone looking to transition, I wouldn't necessarily use my experience as a basis of what to expect.

anisotrophic

40 minutes ago, KrysLost said:

Actually it sounds horrifying to be attracted to someone you're deeply familiar with.

Isn't this always true with demisexuality??

I guess yeah it remains super unclear to me what you mean by "demisexual".

30 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

to see if they would improve my overall mood/energy levels. 

Yeah, I hear stories about that and health issues. Thanks for replying. 

Transitioning, nah, I was just curious how it works for people who take hormones of their own sex, not to transition.

Birth control, on the other hand, gets rather negative reviews, and I hear about it a lot more. So many women take it not only for birth control, but to improve acne and manage heavy menstruation... birth control itself isn’t a too good reason to take hormones either (there are alternative measures). 

Archived