Perspektiv

Which is worse. Covid-19 or the Panic?

Arodash

This article came up in my news feed and it kinda speaks to all this

"Armed vigilantes in Maine chop down tree, block driveway to force neighbor to self-quarantine amid coronavirus pandemic"

Pangea1430

neither! Because we now have viruses larger than some bacteria!

Pithovirus_sibericum_sketch.jpg

this is about the size of a small bacterium. it is even larger than the Smallest eukaryotic organism identified Ostreococcus tauri which is only .8 μm compared to the ~1.5 μm this thing possesses. Now compare this....THING.... to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, then you'll realize that COVID-19 is insignificant compared to what could be lurking in uninhabited places. It's Name is Pithovirus!

Edited by Pangea1430
Added virus name

E

Like I said to a friend. Sick people don't riot and loot. Death from disease isn't a pretty picture, but in the long run there'll be more death from human action or inaction taken.

• Like 2

Perspektiv

I think the news is largely responsible for the panic. Many failed to inform accurately, and preferred to fan the flames of panic. 

Also not helping, was the many insanely slow thinking governments who could not adapt to the rapidly unfolding situations.

Very few governments were quick acting, even with information on their side, adding to the mass panic. 

Many stores were ill equipped to adapt to the situation. Those that did which were rare, were quick to calm the storm. 

This is a wake up call to many, in how you need to be prepared for these types of events. 

How highly unprepared that we are. 

The only benefit some are seeing, is that this disease doesn't pick via social class. Life no longer is about money, and trivial things in times like these. 

This broke down what is important for many quite bluntly. 

• Like 1

Perspektiv

This type of setting also has brought about some ironic situations. 

IE the many ordering take out food as it is too unsafe to venture outside too often. 

Skycaptain

@Perspektiv, I agree about governments being slow to react. Its one thing for somewhere like China, the index nation, or Italy, the first in Europe, but why, say here in Britain, our government hadn't started getting the logistics for the health service in place earlier I've no idea. 

Same with closure orders. Rather than instant closure, just two or three days notice would have saved a lot of wastage in the leisure industry.