Which is worse. Covid-19 or the Panic?

But don't forget that for the media this is a dream-trip, they just mention coronavirus once and that's guaranteed hits, which is all they want. There's a nasty surprise coming for them when everyone slashes advertising spend and their budgets are cut

^ That actually leads right into what I was going to add:

I think the time has come where we need to differentiate by country (more). Over here (Germany) the panic is fizzling out, which is 50% thanks to the media, 50% thanks to competent government. E.g. we have a daily podcast with the country's leading expert on coronaviruses keeping everyone up to date on what is being researched and what they know and where they're at and what to make of which part of the situation. And, as I mentioned before, I'm not Mutti Merkel's biggest fan, but having a friggen quantum scientist as head of country does help in a crisis like this one.

This one is, but coronaviruses as such aren't. SARS was a coronavirus. IIRC there are currently seven coronaviruses making the rounds, six of which cause the well-known, not-dangerous-but-annoying colds we all know.

That's one reason why antibody testing isn't working yet, as I learned the other day: The test needs to be very precisely targeted to avoid false positives from a common cold.

The false negative on PCR tests (testing for the actual virus, not antibodies) is due not to faulty or imprecise tests but to faulty sampling. From day 4 post-infection a throat sample will come out negative even if the patient is infected, because the virus will have moved on to the bronchia and / or sinuses by that point.

DuranDuranfan
11 hours ago, weird elf said:

This one is, but coronaviruses as such aren't. SARS was a coronavirus. IIRC there are currently seven coronaviruses making the rounds, six of which cause the well-known, not-dangerous-but-annoying colds we all know.

That's one reason why antibody testing isn't working yet, as I learned the other day: The test needs to be very precisely targeted to avoid false positives from a common cold.

Exactly because some coronaviruses can cause a common cold.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there is a 3rd thing that will end up being worse then both. The effect on the health/wealth of the vast majority (not the rich they always land on their feet and have probs made money out of this). The people that have been struggling since the 2008 financial crash and probs not or only just recovered. They will end up again loosing jobs or in jobs they hate -effecting their mental and physical health. The effect on the mental and physical health of the front line people and the people who are listed in the at risk group. The effect on the school kids. Just generally the effect that will yet again get swept aside because when this is all over we will all be too busy just trying to get back on our feet.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, AmberUK said:

The effect on the mental and physical health of the front line people

I've already seen a couple suicides from front line workers such as nurses and surgeons. Many of which across the globe, are documenting their struggles. I remember seeing one surgeon in tears, after he lost a handful of souls, sitting there beating himself up about what he could've done differently.

They are expected to forget about the bad day, and get back to work like you can switch that level of weight off of your shoulders.

Its also not documented enough, but the trauma and stresses associated with being a police officer, forcing some in the force to commit suicide.

There is nowhere for a nurse or surgeon to go to for help. They're supposed to be the help.

There's a stigma attached with one seeking help. I mean, isolation is the worst possible thing you can do for someone already feeling alone.

Also, one can't forget the women who are stuck in abusive relationships. Isolation is the best thing that could happen for their abusers.

The mass panic inadvertently harbors an "everyone for themselves" mentality among some.

weird elf

Also, kids in tricky home situations (abusive, neglective, the low-level stuff that isn't "bad enough" for a kid to be taken away from their family but bad enough for them to need the extra support they can get outside their home). As teachers we are acutely aware that where we usually keep an eye on those kids especially and support them as much as possible, there is no one doing that now, they're stuck in that situation and there is nothing we can do about it.

3 hours ago, Arodash said:

But how can we address it????

Some shelters for women have had to allow some women to sleep in hotels, due to social distancing measures. However, due to the 24/7 lock down, its very easy for an abusive partner to keep you under their thumb and totally isolated. Nobody will question anything.

If working, a lot of the times there are signs to look out for, to where you could get support. Your partner can blacken your eyes and just order you to stay home. What are you going to do about it? Plus the added financial strain, giving them more ammunition.

This virus is truly making many high needs individuals feel like they're on their own.

Its hard enough for such people to want to reach out for help.

I think Boots have started a safe space thing? But I feel more places should have a system in place where people can go in and say some phrase/codeword to alert the staff

23 hours ago, Arodash said:

The cities that implemented snitching hotlines

That's pretty sad.

I mean, you're wasting tax payer dollars on this, too which makes it sadder. Also, how are you going to prove they were violating the rules? I.E In my city, you can do exercise, groceries and the like, as long as you practice social distancing.

So someone seeing me outside snitching, has nothing better to do with their lives.

To me, that's a lack of leaderships. Strong leadership, has everyone or the vast majority buying in.

weird elf

Knowing what the leadership in question is talking about helps, too. Education (or lack thereof) is another huge factor in this.

1 minute ago, Perspektiv said:

That's pretty sad.

I mean, you're wasting tax payer dollars on this, too which makes it sadder. Also, how are you going to prove they were violating the rules? I.E In my city, you can do exercise, groceries and the like, as long as you practice social distancing.

So someone seeing me outside snitching, has nothing better to do with their lives.

To me, that's a lack of leaderships. Strong leadership, has everyone or the vast majority buying in.

I just find it silly! Lol and the idea you'd snitch on your neighbor for... being in their yard? Lol yeah waste of tax payer money especially when trolls flooded it.

I remember the KGB had a similar system in place.... lol

My governor said she wouldnt try and force us but asked that we please maintain social distancing and to go out only for essentials. Shes been up front and honest with us the whole time. And as Ive said before normally im very critical of her policies but dang she may have just earned my vote if she goes for for another election.

Archived