Overly sexual female protagonists

All of these female superheroes on these comics have very little clothes on. That's the most impractical armor I've ever seen. Who the hell let you out on the battlefield in that? You're gonna get an arrow in your titty, girl.

They're not bad; they're just drawn that way.

Probably because the target audience is teenage boys 

• 2 weeks later...
lilyofthevalley

What irritates me is when (like in the fantastic four films) the male and female characters have the same costume but the female characters’ costumes are unzipped to show cleavage.

Something, something, fan-service.

The target audience of comics tend to be teen boys who are still going through puberty (although there could be adult people who still find themselves to enjoy them because they grew up with them).

So, similarly to anime/manga and the Waifu and Husbano phenomenon, if they show fan-service to their readers, this way the reader would be more invested with the characters, so to speak.

Objectification strikes pretty fast in a lot of media. Well, that and it's a lot more fun to draw/wear/write about absurd things than realistic things. But mostly the objectifying bodies thing tickles a lot more fancies than gushing over the genius of their pauldron. I like to think of it like a castle- the Disney park castles looks cute and fantastical and are icons because that's all they are. A real castle had a purpose, and let me tell you, murder holes aren't nearly as fun to think about if you came for Sleeping Beauty.

I'm not too mad about it when I think of it that way.

WrenIsNotMyRealName!!

I saw a joke on tik tok that said "What if super heroes where capes to cover up the zipper?"

Yep. It's not just impractical costumes - the poses that female superheroes are drawn in are often overly sexualised too. Like, a male superhero will be portrayed in a practical fighting stance, while his female counterpart will be sticking her arse out or even have her legs spread. There's some pretty funny gender-flipped fan art, for example: https://www.wired.com/2012/12/comics-gender-swapped/ 

Archived