Savage on demisexuals

Firefly8

March 17, 2020 on the Savage Love website in response to the first question from "Dirty Talker". Demisexuals specifically mentioned, but not exactly warmly.

I’m old enough to remember when people who needed to feel a strong emotional connection before they wanted to fuck someone got by without a word or a pride flag of their very own.

https://www.thestranger.com/savage-love/2020/03/17/43142460/savage-love

Such lack of empathy, it makes me want to blur out names. I feel it is normal for people with similarities to assemble and feel a sense of belonging.

... and I'm old enough to remember when it was considered normal to just run down a back alley somewhere with someone you didn't even know their freakin' name, man... sheesh!

AceMissBehaving

Dan Savage is an aphobic asshole so I’m not terribly surprised by it 

Truth be told, I see his point.

I don't disagree with the point he is making, but I think there are less savage analogies out there. The way he is saying it shows a lack of empathy and understanding for demisexuals.

3 hours ago, AceMissBehaving said:

Dan Savage is an aphobic asshole so I’m not terribly surprised by it 

I actually don't know too much about the guy. I thought he supported the LGBT community? What else has he said about asexuality?

AceMissBehaving
20 minutes ago, AceWing said:

I actually don't know too much about the guy. I thought he supported the LGBT community? What else has he said about asexuality?

I still remember him for...

[The asexual community] didn’t need to march for that right. Just stay home and do nothing,” he said, adding that he found the whole thing “hilarious.”

and...

In 2011, LGBT activist Dan Savage stated that asexuality is a choice, described it as "choosing not to have sex",

I feel like I remember something about asexual people inflicting celibacy on sexual people, but I can’t find that one.

It’s possible he’s gotten better on the subject since it’s been a while since I wrote him off.

He has recently shown some empathy for and understanding of aromantics and asexuals. It's obvious that he has learned since 2011, but I don't know how much or his full opinions.

Archived