Cooking and baking!

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

On 3/22/2020 at 3:08 PM, kiaroskuro said:

Thank you! Just bookmarked it. I might indeed try it out some time, for a special occasion or when I feel adventurous. (I think I will get expelled from this thread when I reveal that I don't like spending too much time in the kitchen ...? :P)

There is no expelling! Only encouragement to find recipes you can cook with the challenge of spending less time in the kitchen ;) for example, I cooked a nice pasta dish where I removed most of the liquid at the end, and then added chopped onion, butter, walnut pieces, spinach leaves and a few anchovies to cook for a bit, with oregano basil and garlic as the spices ^_^

20 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

There is no expelling! Only encouragement to find recipes you can cook with the challenge of spending less time in the kitchen ;) for example, I cooked a nice pasta dish where I removed most of the liquid at the end, and then added chopped onion, butter, walnut pieces, spinach leaves and a few anchovies to cook for a bit, with oregano basil and garlic as the spices ^_^

Thanks for the encouragement and for keeping me here ;) What you described sounds delish; I wish I had your improvisation skills. But I guess I'd have to develop basic cooking skills first ...

1 hour ago, kiaroskuro said:

Thanks for the encouragement and for keeping me here ;) What you described sounds delish; I wish I had your improvisation skills. But I guess I'd have to develop basic cooking skills first ...

Indeed! And be aware that I have developed an intense interest in cooking very quickly in order to push myself through the layers of anxiety and sensory overwhelm which usually keep me out of the kitchen ^_^ on bad days I still drop, forget, mix up etc a lot of things!

Oh and I told you about that dish because I did the pasta all in one pan, thereby saving me from having to wash up too many things, which as a consequence made it a faster meal ;) other meals which are good for hanging around the kitchen would be if you could space them out well and just wait for things to cook in the oven.

Moved to Off-A where other cooking topics are happening.

DaveB

Celebrations Mod

• 2 months later...

I found an interesting recipe for Mennonite Funny Cake Pie. What so funny about it, you ask? The filling layers magically reverse while baking.

In the video she mentioned a recipe for Pork Cake. A pork cake?!? Why would they call it a cake? Well, I found the recipe if anyone interested in making it.

• 1 month later...

I'm an okay cook, but I don't like cooking actual meals for other people. After having to cook for both my sisters, two of my brothers, & two other people, I've been sort of put off by cooking for anybody that isn't me since everyone's tastes vary & cooking for multiple people is draining. I still cook to this day, but only for myself & I mainly seem to make fish/shrimp...but I still like to eat a variety of different dishes.

As for baking, well...let's just say I have a sweet tooth. 🤩🤩

I used to rely on boxed recipes in order to make sweets, but learning to make them from scratch made me so happy ! I can make cookies & brownies without a problem, but I wanna learn to make gluten-free treats for my friends since they mentioned this sort of thing before the pandemic hit. I tried to make macarons, but wasn't happy with how they turned out & plan to try again during the weekend. I've made a cake with layers & it was apparently really good according to the people who had it, I bake to help with stress.

My co-workers at my old job & current job like the stuff I make, but the preferences are pretty different between them. With my former co-workers, they said they loved the brownies I made & that includes the simplistic recipes & the go-to recipe I rely on whenever I make them. As for my current co-workers (who I haven't worked with since March), they love the cookies I make & said I did a good job at making red velvet ones. I have a close friend from my old job that loves the cookies I make, I always try to make some for her & her daughter whenever I meet up with her since she's a close friend of mine.

During quarantine, I made cookies for my brother & for myself as well. I made lava cakes that came out fairly well, I also remember making souffles...but I was the only one who ate them since my brother declined at the time. I'm gonna give macarons a second chance, they didn't come out how I wanted them to during the recent weekend that passed & I'm pretty sure I can make them just right if I start them at a much earlier time.

I hope I can bake for my friends, I'm gonna ask if they want my macarons depending on how they come out. Wish me luck~ 🤞🏾🤞🏾

• 2 months later...
Blue eyes white dragon

I love to cook and bake!! One of my favorites is a potato and bacon chowder. Baking it's hard for me to choose since I love them all lol, but if I had to or would be my peanut butter cookies that I modified to fit my preference. I also like to make a lot of dishes that are traditional to my family: Italian from my mom's side and New Mexican from my dad. I find that with most things I use the recipe as a guide and follow my heart lol, but some (especially family recipes) I follow to the letter. 

I used to be VERY into pie baking. I was gifted a massive book of only pie recipes (I think it's over 400 pages long) and I did a ton of baking for a couple of years. I think I got a little pied-out eventually and haven't done much baking in quite a while. However, I recently baked my first ever coconut cream pie from scratch and it turned out AMAZING. My family loved it and it's a keeper for sure. I'll be baking this pie for many years to come!

• 5 months later...

I knew there was a baking thread somewhere.....

Here’s my effort today. My first attempt at a Victoria sponge. 

the filling is raspberry jam and whipped cream. 

it’s not for me, ofc. Somebody asked me to make it for them. They can have the calories!! 🤣

spacer.png

Yeah, it’s a bit messy, but idc, I’m not eating it lol. 

3 hours ago, Samsquanch said:

Have you got enough cream in there Per!?!?!!!?  Blimey!

Looks delicious though.  

lol yeah. It’s the angle of the pic. When it was cut it was fine actually. The Jam was the stuff tht oozed out, not  the cream. 

i had a real battle with the person who asked for it. She insisted i had a slice. Errrr. No thanks. I can’t. ‘Why not?’  

i knocked a glass of water over. 

everywhere and nowhere

Is there any topic at the forum for sharing recips? Because I have some of my own, created entirely by myself or modified from a source, and I'd be happy to share them.

jellyfish_cake

@Nowhere Girl

what kind of recipes? I'm interested. I can cook almost nothing, but I intend to learn how to make meals. If it's vegetarian or vegan, even better, but if it has meat I don't mind either. 

everywhere and nowhere
53 minutes ago, Morgana Nordestina said:

If it's vegetarian or vegan, even better, but if it has meat I don't mind either. 

I happen to be vegetarian, so none of my recipes include any meat.

But caution, I'm usually not good at quantities. I can't estimate them, I just make how much seems suitable, sometimes it turns out too littl or too much...

Recipe 1 - Carrot and lentil spread (vegan)

Cut carrot into pieces. Put in a casserole, sprinkle with olive oil and mix. Bake until soft (ca. 40 minutes). Cook some red lentils, add some salt, pepper, ginger and curry mix. When ingredients have cooled, blend together and transfer into jars. Store in a refrigrator.

Recipe 2 + 3 + 4 - Bean spreads

Transfer the contents of on can of white beans (preferably canelloni beans, they have a more buttery flavour), cook a little more, add salt, pepper and herbs (marjoram, oregano, thyme...).

Additives, variant 1: baked garlic (ca. 4 cloves per one can of beans).

Variant 2: chanterelles fried on butter.

Variant 3: pickled cucumbers (about 2-3 per one can of beans - I find that smaller pickles are better), peeled, cut into small pieces and drained of excesss brine.

Blend with garlic, in case of other additives - blend the beans only and mix with chanterelles or pickles afterwards.

Recipe 5 - Barlotto with cabbage (vegan)

("Barlotto", "millotto" etc. - Polish: pęczotto, jaglotto, gryczotto etc. - are counterparts to risotto made with other cereals or pseudocereals. The Slavs are big eaters of groats (kasza), I always remind that "rice is technically a groat too" - and so people have come up with these counterparts to risotto.)

Half small early white cabbage or Savoy cabbage, a little less than one cup of wholegrain barley, water, half a cube of vegetable stock (I use Rapunzel brand vegan vegetable stock with herbs), garlic, spices, yeast flakes to sprinkle.

Cook chopped cabbage until it starts getting soft (better use a larger pot - cabbage loses a lot of its effective volume once the leaves soften), add barley and garlic. Add vegetable stock and spices, cook about 20 minutes, sprinkle with yeast flakes before serving.

Recipe 6 - Risotto with orange tomatoes and carrot

A little more than half a cup of arborio or other shortgrain rice, one smallish carrot, two orange tomatoes, butter, herbal salt, pepper, sugar, dill, cheese

Chop carrots and fry them on butter until golden. Add rice and, after a short while, water. Peel tomatoes and add to the pot. Add some herbal salt, pepper, a bit of sugar and - at the end - a lot of dill. Spinkle with grated cheese.

(100% own idea.)

(I have also made a yellow version, but was rather disappointed. I'd love to make a red version, but so far I have never been able to find red carrots.)

Recipe 7 - Risotto with zucchini and mushrooms

A little more than half a cup of arborio or other shortgrain rice, mushrooms*, half a zucchini or a mini one, water, half cube of vegetable stock, rosemary, thyme, cheese

*Variant 1: pored mushrooms such as Boletus or Xerocomus (if dried, they need to soak overnight); variant 2: chanterelles, fried on butter; variant 3: saffron milk caps, fried on butter.

(Note 1: I'm known to consume certain other mushrooms as well ;), but contrary to urban legends about people who have unwittingly eaten pizza or casserole with magic mushrooms - I have never eaten them in a dish, in fact I always fast for a day before psychedelic experiences.)

(Note 2: saffron milk caps are considered a bit of a delicacy, but are less expensive than one would expect - in the autumn, on markets, they are cheaper than fresh pored mushrooms.)

Start cooking rice with mushrooms, water (2 parts per 1 part rice), vegetable stock and herbs (dried rosemary and thyme are very hard and need to soak well). Fry chopped zucchini on olive oil and add to rice and mushrooms. Cook for ca. 15 minutes, sprinkle with cheese.

Archived