2. 2. Do you shave your legs?

• I present as feminine and shave my legs
    • I present as masculine and shave my legs
    • I present as nonbinary and shave my legs
    • I present as feminine and do NOT shave my legs
    • I present as masculine and do NOT shave my legs
    • I present as nonbinary and do NOT shave my legs

This poll is closed to new votes

It seems more people shave their armpits and not their legs, while for me it is the reverse. I stopped shaving my armpits about 5 months ago, but I shave my legs maybe once a month.

Female here. I shave my armpits because it's no trouble at all and it  takes less than 2 minutes to do it, but I only shave my legs if I'm thinking about wearing shorts or something.

Personally, as someone who has PCOS and is very hairy (almost like a capybara), I would love if there was no societal pressure for women to shave. It's too much work, my legs get itchy as fuck, and the obligation to do it makes me wish I was a man. Tbh, I would prefer not having much body hair to begin with.

Grumpy Alien
22 minutes ago, Visenya said:

Female here. I shave my armpits because it's no trouble at all and it  takes less than 2 minutes to do it, but I only shave my legs if I'm thinking about wearing shorts or something.

Personally, as someone who has PCOS and is very hairy (almost like a capybara), I would love if there was no societal pressure for women to shave. It's too much work, my legs get itchy as fuck, and the obligation to do it makes me wish I was a man. Tbh, I would prefer not having much body hair to begin with.

EXACTLY THE SAME. Though I actually really hate the feeling of hair. I shave my legs if I wear shorts/dresses not just because of societal expectations but also because I can’t stand the feeling of having hairy legs. I also hate having armpit hair but that’s super easy and quick to fix. My legs can take an hour if I haven’t shaved in a while. Thanks, malfunctioning ovaries... 😒

11 minutes ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

EXACTLY THE SAME. Though I actually really hate the feeling of hair. I shave my legs if I wear shorts/dresses not just because of societal expectations but also because I can’t stand the feeling of having hairy legs. I also hate having armpit hair but that’s super easy and quick to fix. My legs can take an hour if I haven’t shaved in a while. Thanks, malfunctioning ovaries... 😒

I thought that you had the same issue when you said that you shave your face. Once or twice a month I use hair removal cream on my neck. 😳 It sucks having hair in places where I shouldn't have them.

I do like not having body hair and how smooth my legs feel after I shave them. I just wish that not shaving wasn't considered unhygienic, especially because men can be as hairy as they want without being shamed, stared at and/or considered dirty and gross.

6 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

... I epilate ...

Teehee :3

Same here. Shave and it's back almost immediately; epilate and it's rather slow to come back and is eventually gone for keeps. It smarts, especially at first, but no pain no gain in this case.

AceMissBehaving
On 3/16/2020 at 10:10 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

I present as Feminine, i shave both legs and armpits, when i feel like it, usually when hair starts to irritate, so months and months generally.

Same here

I present as female when i am alone and here and i shave both, My legs once a week maybe and armpirts once a month. I shave because i like how it feels and looks.

WanderingKate

I identify as female, definitely present as feminine. 

I shave both my legs and my underarms. 

I shave my underarms because I absolutely hate the feeling of hair there, and I shave my legs because I prefer the look of smooth legs on myself. Although it's hard to tell if the reason I truly prefer that is because society has shoved images of completely hairless women at me my entire life, because my mom made me start shaving at a fairly young age and I'm just used to it, or because I simply enjoy the look and feel. 

The amount I shave is definitely dependent on the season though. 

In the summer I shave probably every 3 days or so, but all other seasons it's more like every week or two. At least on my legs I don't mind a bit of leg stubble if I won't be wearing shorts, but once it gets long I always feel the need to get rid of it ASAP. 

DarkStormyKnight

I present as female and shave NOTHING yo fuck that shit suck it up and deal with my armpits/legs.

HonoraryJedi

I shave my armpits occasionally. When I want to look extra feminine I guess, but I can't be arsed for day-to-day. I don't shave my legs at all. Though I told my friend this and she laughed at me. Apparently my body hair is not visible enough for it to be obvious if I do or don't.

I am a little bit skeptical about how much of shaving body hair is really about hygiene though. My impression is that it is almost entirely an aesthetic preference of the culture and the hygiene argument is mostly an excuse. That hair is supposed to be there, so its perfectly fine to leave it.

I "present as feminine" (I'm a cis woman) and I epilate my armpits, though not as often as some people do I suppose. With epilation the hair grows back so fine it doesn't bother me for a few weeks, unlike when I shaved and had to do it every day due to itchy regrowth. I only shave/epilate my legs when I am wearing a skirt to a party, day to day I don't bother even though I show my legs a lot. I used to shave regularly, starting aged 12 I think, but gave up when I was around 25. I've only ever had someone comment on my legs once, a random dude at the sauna who thought it was a good idea to tell me my legs looked "revolting", which I found pretty funny since he looked like he had a rug glued to his back.

58 minutes ago, HonoraryJedi said:

I am a little bit skeptical about how much of shaving body hair is really about hygiene though. My impression is that it is almost entirely an aesthetic preference of the culture and the hygiene argument is mostly an excuse. That hair is supposed to be there, so its perfectly fine to leave it

No idea how legs shaving is supposed to have anything to do with hygiene... at least with armpit hair there is some logic to it as the hair can create a large surface area to hold sweat and bacteria, but you know, that's what showers and antiperspirant are for. I suppose it varies by area but I only ever hear the "it's for hygiene" argument used for why women should shave, apparently it's not even remotely unhygienic for men to be hairy... I wonder why 🙄

I shave both because I don't like body hair (on myself), but I generally shave my armpits more than my legs because it's more noticeable, and also, the hair is darker. I'm fair-haired and I sometimes forget about shaving my legs because the hair on them is so light, I don't even see it. 😂

On 3/17/2020 at 7:10 PM, Kimchi Peanut said:

Wanna trade? Mine function and I hate it.

Grumpy Alien
49 minutes ago, KrysLost said:

Wanna trade? Mine function and I hate it.

Deal

tenor.gif

I shave because I felt societal pressure to do so when I was younger. Now I just prefer it and wish it was as easy to shave my arms. I wish I was born hairless except for the stuff on top of my head and my eyebrows. 

But all the same...

Image result for raccoon gif

Ms. Carolynne

I'm in the closet about being trans, so I still present as male, albeit slightly gender non-conforming I guess.

I shave, and sometimes wax. I keep my face clean shaven, and prioritize my arms. I also hit everything else, but not to the same extent. I don't expose a lot of skin so I don't think about it as much, though it still bothers me. I feel like a wookie otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
SpaceDustbin

Female, and I shave occasionally (as in, when my legs or arms are out). Thank you societal pressure and dark body hair

• 4 weeks later...

I think the "hygenic reasons" to shave are probably more significant if you live somewhere where it's hot and/or dusty.  The ancient cultures of the Mediterranean were heavily into shaving for all genders.

Personally, I'm pretty fuzzy all over, but I don't shave, since I can't stand the way stubble feels in between shaves.

fooledbysecrecy
On 3/17/2020 at 6:29 PM, kiaroskuro said:

I'm usually read as female, and I usually don't mind. But ticking the boxes with 'presenting as feminine' didn't feel quite right. I also don't go out of my way to express any gender, or the absence of gender.

ha i feel the same

anyway to answer the shaving question, armpits yes bc of sweating issues, haven't shaved my legs for ages, ever since i freed myself from societal pressures. i actually like the feeling of my fuzzy legs.

The Barefoot Backpacker

I have a beard trimmer. Occasionally I beard trim the hair on my legs, especially if I'm going running and it might be muddy. This makes me look quite 'unbalanced' as my arms etc are still hairy, but, for practical reasons, less hair on the legs is very useful as it makes them easier to wash afterwards. Also easier to clean in case I get a nick from a thorn bush or whatever. Mostly though I'm lazy and don't.

I do shave my feet and toes though. Because I have hobbit feet. :D

Masculine presenting. In warmer weather and when I'm going out, I do shave my armpits. Otherwise, I don't. I don't shave my legs ever though, I don't bother.

Due to quarantining, I'm growing a beard and giving it a try. I used to shave it regularly because I didn't think I could pull it off. I can't stop playing with it. :lol: But I can't seem to grow hair on my upper chin and the hair on my upper lip is taking forever to grow out. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the beard or not.

MerePeasant

Feminine, and I do shave my armpits, but I only shave my legs for the warmer months when I start wearing shorts, etc.  

Interference

i forgot to write up an answer here so i'll do it now,

agender, female-presenting [begrudgingly], and i do wax off my armpits every now and then. i prefer it to razors because i get mad rashes using them, unfortunately.

i would like to shave my limbs as well, but i'll need to get more wax for it, and mine's running low. my country and culture doesn't emphasize shaving the limbs anyway, so that's a plus.

I just can't be bothered. Sometimes I trim the armpit hair when it gets ridiculously long AND I remember. During quarantine, I don't even shave my facial hair (I think I would look great with a stubble or a beard, but unfortunately it grows quite patchy and gives the illusion of a... quadruple chin :)

I gotta say, I was trying clothes on yesterday that left me in a tank top between each one, and the lighting in the room at the time really highlighted my armpit hair. I'm glad I chose to stop shaving it 6 months ago.

On 3/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, Kimmie. said:

I present as female when i am alone and here and i shave both, My legs once a week and my chest 2 times a week and maybe and armpirts once a month. I shave because i like how it feels and looks. 

I have to ask is this okay for me to feel or is it just enforcing stereotypes?

1 hour ago, Kimmie. said:

I have to ask is this okay for me to feel or is it just enforcing stereotypes?

It's your body. You do what makes you feel good. If conforming to gender stereotypes is part of that (in that doing feminine things will help you feel feminine) then that's what's best for you. 

50 minutes ago, Snao Cone (me) said:

It's your body. You do what makes you feel good. If conforming to gender stereotypes is part of that (in that doing feminine things will help you feel feminine) then that's what's best for you. 

Okay thanks.

GingerRose

I don't shave, but it's not for any strong empowering reason.

Archived