CBR — Steven Universe: A Crystal Gem Is Confirmed As Asexual

Homer

A few days after the premiere of the Steven Universe Future episode "In Dreams," the last Peridot-focused episode of the series, storyboard artist Maya Petersen revealed that the character is asexual and aromantic. While Peridot expresses interest in shipping romantic relationships between the characters in Camp Pining Hearts, this interest is purely anthropological.

March 14, 2020 — https://www.cbr.com/steven-universe-crystal-gem-confirmed-asexual-peridot/

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

Meh, it's not real representation. I've come to agree with bad reviews of SU and do think the show never actually even says the words gender or sexuality. Too many metaphors, the wedding is the only thing which would appear overtly LGBT+ to someone not familiar with LGBT+ issues. (And like they don't even say the word wife)

2 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

Meh, it's not real representation. I've come to agree with bad reviews of SU and do think the show never actually even says the words gender or sexuality. Too many metaphors, the wedding is the only thing which would appear overtly LGBT+ to someone not familiar with LGBT+ issues. (And like they don't even say the word wife)

Seems like a good step. Especially for a kids' show. If it was for adults and didn't mention that stuff, then I could see it being kinda cop-out-y, but I think it sounds fine like this.

the great acescape

I mean, considering the state of ace representation in media at this point, I'll take what I can get.

• 2 months later...

Okay but Steven could be the real rep himself. He doesn't get any dirty jokes, super innocent in his 14th and in his 16th too, and takes things quite slowly with Connie. Also in no way confused when he fuses into Stevonnie and finds out he, as a part of a fusion, has tits now. AND I PRACTICALLY CANNOT STAND LIVING IN THE WORLD WHERE LITERALLY NOBODY SHARES THIS HEADCANON AA.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:13 PM, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

they don't say the word wife, BUT i'd like you to notice how ruby was wearing a wedding dress. listen, i live in russia and i never watch su in the official dub, because it's heavily censored and overall voiced like shit. and obviously ruby is described with male pronouns. SO RUBY WEARING A DRESS TO THE WEDDING GOT THE OFFICIAL DUBBERS FREAKED OUT AND THEY'VE JUST

SKIPPED THE EPISODE

LEAVING EVERYBODY WONDERING ABOUT THE PLOT

i love that

the crewniverse made the homophobes lose their shit and i'm honestly so proud to be a fan of this show hghcbkygskj

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
4 hours ago, Chu-tyan said:

they don't say the word wife, BUT i'd like you to notice how ruby was wearing a wedding dress. listen, i live in russia and i never watch su in the official dub, because it's heavily censored and overall voiced like shit. and obviously ruby is described with male pronouns. SO RUBY WEARING A DRESS TO THE WEDDING GOT THE OFFICIAL DUBBERS FREAKED OUT AND THEY'VE JUST

SKIPPED THE EPISODE

LEAVING EVERYBODY WONDERING ABOUT THE PLOT

i love that

the crewniverse made the homophobes lose their shit and i'm honestly so proud to be a fan of this show hghcbkygskj

Fair ^_^ my opinions on things are very subject to influence and I'd just watched too much critique of SU. I hope you have fun if you watch she-ra too!

Also, since another one of these games was released and I love them I'm just gonna drop in some rpg game wlw/non binary rep here ^_^https://nomnomnami.itch.io/

1 hour ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

Fair ^_^ my opinions on things are very subject to influence and I'd just watched too much critique of SU. I hope you have fun if you watch she-ra too!

Also, since another one of these games was released and I love them I'm just gonna drop in some rpg game wlw/non binary rep here ^_^https://nomnomnami.itch.io/

omfg she-ra,,,, i've just got a message from my friend with a catradora kiss screenshot. I HAVEN'T WATCHED THE SHOW SINCE SEASON 2 and i never believed catradora would be canon, cause my previous fandom was voltron legendary defender... i was shOOK

now i kinda wish i've watched it all with my own eyes, in the context of their relationship progressing and all

thanks for the link, even tho i dont play rpg xD i hope someone will find it useful

Honestly, this was my headcanon all along about her.

Straight people hardly ever use the words "straight" or "heterosexual" in describing their relationships. And the exact same symbols and idioms used for Ruby/Sapphire and Greg/Rose/Pearl have been used for about a century of cinema to signify romantic relationships. (Speaking of references, Pearl's torch song feels very much like a homage to Blake Edwards/Julie Andrews "Crazy World" from Victor Victoria, which is also pretty damn queer.)

Archived