Will You Choose Immortality?

Soul Searcher

Will you choose immortality?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Simply immortality. Nothing Else. You will keep aging and all of that.

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please Specify)
  2. 2. Frozen In time. You won't age or feel any biological urges.

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please Specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

Soul Searcher

The first option is No. Just try to imagine how handsome/ beautiful you are gonna look at 5000 years old. Also, old age and diseases and all that stuffs that is not worth it in the end.

Frozen in time does sound appealing but only if there is somebody to spend that eternity with and other things that I might need. Basically, that life should be comfortable and full of happiness. I won't mind occasional hiccups but only if in the end, everything is okay.

However, I am of the belief that death is not the end, it's just a catalyst for a change. We all live because someday we might die. If there is no death, there is no meaning of life. Plus a lot of other theological stuffs that I have not actually explored.

Conclusion- I want to die. Not anytime soon. But when I am old, seen happiness and done something for people I love and I am surrounded by my family, I'd want to pass the responsibility on somebody else and then go out in peace.

Lord Jade Cross

Hell no! I can't wait for my time on this Earth to be over, so there's no way I would choose immortality

That would just break the circle of life and existence. You live, you die. What makes you becomes something else, as was what was something else becomes you. Not to mention immortality would end up as eternal suffering.

1 hour ago, Jade Cross said:

Hell no! I can't wait for my time on this Earth to be over, so there's no way I would choose immortality

+1

There's no point in me being here in the first place, so.

Do I get any extra immunity or healing from the immortality in option 2?

Can't we just be like the territopsis nuctricula and change our stages of life when we get too old, over and over until we get eaten?

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
11 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

Mood

Same

Soul Searcher
1 hour ago, Yoruka said:

Can't we just be like the territopsis nuctricula and change our stages of life when we get too old, over and over until we get eaten?

No idea what what that is.

Soul Searcher
2 hours ago, Bio 7 said:

Do I get any extra immunity or healing from the immortality in option 2?

Healing? Well, try to think it like this- no physical changes in your body whatsoever. You will just exist and do anything that you want. Just you will be frozen in the state you are right now.

Would you choose then?

39 minutes ago, Brainiac said:

Healing? Well, try to think it like this- no physical changes in your body whatsoever. You will just exist and do anything that you want. Just you will be frozen in the state you are right now.

Would you choose then?

If my wife also got it, then sure. 

Absolutely not, not if everyone I care about dies and I'm just stuck here unable to join them.

Wait, how does number one work. If I'm immortal, that'd mean telomeres are no longer shrinking and importantly my cells are safe from mutations or bad copies (which is what kills most people) -> but that'd also prevent all age related diseases.

So I don't get how 1 would work from a biological perspective 😕

Or are you saying I'll age till like 90 and then be frozen in time? At least some of that stuff would still be operable then :D

Also when we are talking immortal, does that include unnatural deaths ? (Like being run over by a car won't kill me)

No to both. Immortality sounds like it would get really boring and depressing after a while.

AceMissBehaving

The first one, absolutely fucking not.

The Second one depends on if by immortality you mean like vampires, so won’t die naturally, but can be killed them maybe. That way when I get tired of it all there is still a possible out. 

Osamu Tesuka did a manga series called Phoenix, that highlighted one horrifying downside of immortality if you can not be killed, which is even though you will live forever, the world will not.

3 hours ago, Brainiac said:

Would you choose then?

Hmm well if I’m stuck in this state forever then no. I need to get my body fixed first it’s a mess.

andreas1033

None of the above(ie options).

I hate this planet,a nd humans, i am a total misanthrope.

If people want these ideas, and obsess with this stuff, and want it, fine. I would never want it. The worst moment of my life was being born into this horrid world. I do not want to be in it a second more then i have too.

People should have a choice on such things, and i will never want these things.

For me, they are both bad choices, and i would rather just choose to die like people did before now. I want nothing to do with transhumanism.

The first one - no, absolutely

The second one - I have made the suggestion that everyone stop aging but that was when I was in my 20s. Now in my 30s and time is taking effect, it is becoming far less tempting. 

The poll itself reminds of the story of Tir na nOg  (in English, land of the youth where a person never ages) 

I don't want to stay around longer. I would go nuts, I can barely handle life now, much less sustaining it indefinitely.

Soul Searcher
10 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Wait, how does number one work. If I'm immortal, that'd mean telomeres are no longer shrinking and importantly my cells are safe from mutations or bad copies (which is what kills most people) -> but that'd also prevent all age related diseases.

So I don't get how 1 would work from a biological perspective 😕

Or are you saying I'll age till like 90 and then be frozen in time? At least some of that stuff would still be operable then :D

Also when we are talking immortal, does that include unnatural deaths ? (Like being run over by a car won't kill me)

Hahaha.

I wasn't really thinking about the biological technicalities while writing this poll. I don't even know if immortality is actually possible.

However, they being said I once saw a hypothetical documentary about Adam Savage in 1000 year old man where he kept aging until 500 or so and by then the science had developed enough to rejuvenate all of his dead cells in the body and he had nanotech implants in his body to keep all things out that might cause his body harm thus allowing him to live forever.

I never took biology above what was mandatory so I don't know anything about telomeres and all. Sorry.

Also, I think immortality does mean that you won't die in cat accident or that your consciousness can be preserved in very small parts of your body until your body can br put together again. Just like how deleted files are stored in the 0 sector in case you would want to recover them.

1- nope 

2- yep, but would have been better if it had happened a couple of decades ago 😋😋

WanderingKate

No- although I enjoy my life for the most part, I also enjoy the passing of time and going through life's stages. I imagine things would seem fairly...dull and anticlimactic, for lack of a better word, if there was no beginning or end to life. 

Alejandrogynous

1) Definitely not

2) Yes, no question. Can you imagine the amount of things you can learn and know and accomplish and create with infinite time? And it doesn't specify that you can't die so if I ever am ready, I'd just off myself. (Or if I can't, reach some sort of meditative unexistence.)

1- No

2- Yes. It's only me, so I'm used to being alone. Wouldn't bother me, at all.

If the world ended, like if the Sun went nova, and I couldn't die, then I'd start swimming through the Universe and see what's out there.🏊‍♂️

Yes, eternity with God! :wub:

Yes to 2, but only if I can still die in some way so I can kill myself when I'm done.

As for losing everyone I love, that's part of the point of saying yes. I would have no trouble taking care of every single one of them til the very end, they wouldn't die alone. It's safe to assume I would be invulnerable to the things mortals would be vulnerable to, and would, therefore, be the greatest protector imaginable. Though I'd have to be careful to isolate myself and not make more friends once I couldn't stand to go on anymore, because I'd have to hang on until they passed.

I also expect I'd have a hell of a lot of fun, being invincible.

If it came with being a vampire and being able to be in a cool vampire society, FUCK YES (to number 2, screw the first option). But I don't want to be the only immortal. That would suck. I'm not the type of person who could deal with being alone forever, doomed to watch your loved ones die...

Archived