Andropause

Howard

I'm 44 and over the past 5 years, I gained lots of fat weight - I always been a hearty eater. I tried twice working out for a few weeks and results don't come as easy at it used to. I no longer get morning erections. I wake up often during the night. I can't say that I get hot flashes though not that I get moody though. I think I'm young though to have andropause though but the symptoms are awefuly similar to it. I hesitate to see my physician about it for various reasons : I may get testosterone quicker from a health food store and I don't think it is covered by my insurances.

I spoke about it to a friend and he told me he had the same changes in his late 40s, early 50s. He didn't do anything about it and just accepted it as part of getting old. What are your experiences with andropause? Did you seek out help or did you accept it as part of getting old? If you did get help, was it worthwhile?

Lord Jade Cross

I'm not quite there yet but it be wrong to say that it's a long ways away, years go by so quickly after all.

I don't think there's a cookie cutter response to this, some men might get it earlier than others but from what I gather, there isn't much to be done about. It's going to happen one way or the other so why worry?

Well, my drugstore suggests a few things : limit cardio exercise, eat plenty of veggies and proteins, get 8 hours of continuous sleep a day, avoid fat and try tribulus extract, a natural testosterone stimulant. Doctors can also prescibe testosterone. What I really find annoying is waking up every 2 hours.

Lord Jade Cross

I can understand a bit. I usually just sleep some 3 hours a day and I'm usually fine with that but if I'm beyond exhausted and need to stay in bed, it be a pain to wake up repeatedly

RoseGoesToYale

Not a dude here, but I still think you should go to your doctor to rule out anything else first. Weight gain, getting up in the night etc. could be caused by a number of things at any age.

And if it is andropause, hormones are a delicate thing. You shouldn't to go messing around with them without medical guidance if you can help it. There are also "health supplement" products out there that make dubious claims about their abilities to "Restore manhood! Boost testosterone!" when their product does no such thing.

The supplement is 20$ while the cost of the medicine and perhaps even the doctor are not covered. You may be right, Rose, but it's darn tempting.

Princess KittenSparkles

Hmm, I think you're better off asking this question in a medical forum. Also maybe you can be seen at a Minute Clinic? They are usually lower cost than going to a physician's office.

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/19982-the-aven-terms-of-service-tos/2.9

Just a quick reminder about clause 2.9 in ToS. Asking if others have experienced something medical is fine, asking if people have had side-effects from a given medication is fine, but if in any doubt consult a medical practitioner 

3 hours of exercise a day does not appeal to me. I walk briskly for 30 minutes everyday. Though I am concerned about my weight, I'm more worried about my sleep.

I tried tribulus for 3 days and there was an improvement in my sleep. I sleep deeper and can sleep for 3 hours in a row instead of 2 hours. I've also shoveled today, a task that I need to break down in 2 or 3 parts because my back muscles start to warm and I don't want to push it to prevent injuries. Today, I shoveled in 2 parts but my break inbetween was much shorter. I seem to recuperate faster.

I'm wondering if testosterone will be even better, so I'm ceasing tribulus in order to pass a blood test to see if my suspicion is correct, that is I have low testosterone. If my blood test comes up normal I plan to go back on tribulus since it helps, though there is room for improvement.

Princess KittenSparkles
3 hours ago, Howard said:

3 hours of exercise a day does not appeal to me. I walk briskly for 30 minutes everyday. Though I am concerned about my weight, I'm more worried about my sleep.

I tried tribulus for 3 days and there was an improvement in my sleep. I sleep deeper and can sleep for 3 hours in a row instead of 2 hours. I've also shoveled today, a task that I need to break down in 2 or 3 parts because my back muscles start to warm and I don't want to push it to prevent injuries. Today, I shoveled in 2 parts but my break inbetween was much shorter. I seem to recuperate faster.

I'm wondering if testosterone will be even better, so I'm ceasing tribulus in order to pass a blood test to see if my suspicion is correct, that is I have low testosterone. If my blood test comes up normal I plan to go back on tribulus since it helps, though there is room for improvement.

You have similar symptoms to low testosterone in my opinion so getting a blood test is ideal! Sleeping for 3 hours each night is terrible for your body and can be a cause to your fatigue and weight gain also. Talk to your doctor. 

I sleep 6-9 hours a night, just not all at once. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just spoke to my doctor. In medical jargon he said there could be other causes to my problems but will nonetheless need bloodwork once the whole corrona thing blows over.

Archived