Kura Reads, Kura Watches, Kura Plays

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

Massive spoilers ahead for Legend of Korra and Percy Jackson and The Olympians. 

For this thread, I was inspired by Mark Reads. I like how he reviews things, [aside from his tendency to swear a lot], so I thought, this might be a fun thing to do, too. My posts will be way shorter, but hopefully still entertaining. 

Kura Watches: Legend of Korra

Spoiler

Yesterday I just finished Legend of Korra season 1, and now I've watched the first two episodes of season 2. I probably should have started this ages ago. I'm going into it almost completely un-spoliered except for that Korra and Asami get together at the end. 

My reactions to season 1 can be summed up as follows:

"Korra can already bend water, fire, AND earth?! That's awesome! Lots of people don't like it, but I think it's awesome."

"Sokka's gone. I haven't got my head around the idea of Toph having kids, and now this?"

"Wow, this show is just a beautiful as Avatar, maybe even more so. Korra's so beautiful, too..."

"Amon wins the 'Creepiest Animated Villain' award, and it's only the first couple episodes. What's he planning next?"

"Wait, Mako and Bolin AREN'T Zuko's grandsons? I was so certain that they were. That's too bad, really. It would have connected the current Team Avatar to the old one even more."

"Enough of the pro-bending matches!" *Amon attacks the stadium* "Not like that!" 

"Seeing most of original Team Avatar together in these flashbacks, it's so...I don't know, heartwarming's not quite the right word. Familial? Familiar-al? Is that a word?" 

"Iroh #2, why do you sound like Zuko?" *checks the cast list* "Oh. Okay, then. But that must mean that Zuko, if he is still alive, will be voiced by someone else. I'm not sure how I feel about that."

"What?! Tarlok's not Amon?! What's going on?! Wait, then he must be Mr. Sato-- Nope, they're attacking the city together. Well, I'm out of suspects." 

"As if Bloodbending wasn't terrifying enough..."

"This is a really brutal fight. I feel sorry for all the kids who might have watched Korra too early just because their parents assumed that animation = kid-friendly."

"Amon...he almost won, and he had multiple back-up plans. That's Toffee from SVSFOE level of villainy. Wow." 

"Greatest Change is such an amazing theme. I'm going to find piano sheet music for it."

Now that we're caught up, here's my reactions to episode 1 and 2 of season 2.

"It's really nice that Korra's dad is a fairly important character. Far too many stories have the parents of the protagonist dead, or evil, or conveniently out of the way, or just plain oblivious to what's really going on." 

'Sorry, Korra, I get the feeling that your uncle might not be as well meaning as you think he is." 

"...Korra has creepy twins for cousins. ...Uh..."

*sigh* "Meelo, why do you exist?" 

"Yeah, that's not the smirk of a well-intended person." 

"An invasion?! What?! Why?!" 

Kura Reads: Percy Jackson and The Olympians

Spoiler

This section won't be as in-depth, and will mostly provide general observations. 

I've already read this series several times, and I read book 1-2 already this week, and I read book 3 today. 

For some reason I always pictured Annabeth as brown haired, and it wasn't until this re-read that I realized she's blonde. Whoops. 

Tantalus is the worst camp councilor ever. Though I will admit his attempts at getting food, and the food continually evading him, did make me laugh. 

While I'm happy that Artemis' Huntresses are a big part of book 3, I'm definitely not happy with 'swearing off romantic love' and 'despising men/boys for no reason' is part of their initiation oath, especially since in the myths Artemis had many of her followers as lovers, and a close friendship with Orion. 

Apollo is mistaken. In the versions of the myths I read, Artemis was born first, then helped her mother with Apollo. Though I suppose that would be a super embarrassing thing to admit to in front of a bunch of kids. Also, for someone who's supposed to be the god of poetry [and a whole grab bag of other things], his poems are terrible. 

The portrayal of Dionysus as a big jerk guy who despises heroes clashes so much with how I know him from Overly Sarcastic Productions' videos, it's creating a lot of weird dissonance. Hades, too, for that matter. 

Luke works so well as an antagonistic foil to Percy, plus his past connections to Annabeth and Thalia, and with his childhood past involving oracles, AND his [mostly] sympathetic motivations, make him a very interesting character.

I've got a special surprise planned for once I'm done watching Korra, at the end of the month--two surprises, technically. One will be just done by me and then posted here, and the other will have 'audience participation' [though if no one participates, I'll just go ahead without it].

It just dawned on me that anyone reading this who hasn't watched/read what I'm focusing on won't have a clue what I'm talking about. Oh, well.

That's all 'til tomorrow! 

Edit in: I forgot I was going to comment on this, but I brought it up with my mum and step-father, and we got a big discussion out of it, so that's neat. 

Korra using the Avatar State to win a race. This is probably the most controversial thing she's done so far, and I can see how people who don't like her would relentlessly mock and ridicule her for it, while those who do like her would try to defend it by pointing out how reckless and head-strong and sometimes selfish she is. 

For me, it's a silly thing to do, especially since Aang was nice enough to unlock the Avatar State in her, and then the next time she uses it, she's...cheating at a race. I was all conflicted over who's side to take, and ultimately I'm mostly on Tenzin's side, that the Avatar State is for life and death situations only, not mundane things. However, as my step-father pointed out, it's important not to judge anyone for their actions, in a show or otherwise. 

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer
2 hours ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

I've got a special surprise planned for once I'm done watching Korra, at the end of the month--two surprises, technically. One will be just done by me and then posted here, and the other will have 'audience participation' [though if no one participates, I'll just go ahead without it].

I'm intrigued!

I'm now starting to wonder if I was being biased when I decided I liked The Last Airbender more than Legend of Korra. I guess there's only one way to find out. 😉

Spoiler

On to episodes 3 and 4 of season 2.

"Uniting the world by force isn't going to help anyone, you know. The Fire Nation tried that, and look where it got them."

"Bumi #2's one of the best things about this season already."

"Don't worry, Bolin. Mako's arrived to save you from the creepy twins...and give you terrible relationship advice."

"Yeah, this is going to escalate quickly... It's so absurd--they're all waterbenders, they're all people who live in cold climates, they're all basically one tribe just in different places, but it's so easy to look at someone and label them as the 'Other'."

"So did Aang give favouritism to Tenzin, but neglected Bumi #2 and Kya? That's...really rough. As much as I'd rather not admit it, Kya's got a point here. Being the Avatar doesn't excuse parental issues. Or is it more that's what they remember of him? Wait, is Bumi #2 jealous of his siblings, because he's not a bender? Huh. I sure didn't see that coming."

"Wait, what? What's going on now? I'm lost again. Korra's dad and mom are getting arrested?! Is this part of her uncle's plan somehow?" 

"Baby sky bisons!!!!!!!!! They're adorable!!!!!"

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. Is that a shock collar she just put on Bolin?! With a skull on it?! And she's forcing him to marry her?! Korra, your cousin's just crossed the creepy event horizon." 

"A father-daughter bonding moment, surrounded by baby sky bisons. Awww. 'Being part of a family is hard'. Dear Iki, you have no idea."

"Ha! I knew it. I knew it. But it was really obvious. Those darn evil uncles." 

"...What kind of plan is this? Varrick, you're so weird, which is saying something, since I eat weirdness for breakfast. [Not really--I usually have oatmeal, or waffles if it's the weekend.] It's not going to work, it's too easy. Or maybe I'm too genre savvy." 

"A family picture! How cute! But, Tenzin, why are you agreeing with Iki saying that families are always there for you? See, there's this thing called estrangement...nevermind." 

"Where's Lin, anyway? Oh, right, back at the city. Well, hopefully she'll show up soon." 

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! TERRIFYING ESKA! She looks like she's ready to murder Bolin, or lost her mind, or both! She's a total Yandere! Wait, the episode's over? I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow? Grr." 

Kura Reads: Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Spoiler

Book 4 might be my favourite of the series. Everything kind of all comes together before the final battle in the next book, and the twist about Daedalus was very well done. Plus, Percy gets a hellhound as a pet. 

The labyrinth, too, is so great at how it can twist and turn and warp space and time, and very unsettling how it can sort of read the minds of the people wandering around lost. 

When I read the line about Morpheus joining Kronos' forces, I was thinking of Neil Gaiman Morpheus, and got very confused for a moment. 

It just struck me that the wacky humour kind of distracts from what's really going on--these are kids, who are being forced to fight or lose the only home they've ever known, and some of them die. That's pretty bleak, and it gets worse in the next book. 

Though he's kind of in the background, Nico does get a few chances to shine. I think he might just be my favourite character of the series, especially once it's revealed in the sequel series that he's gay, and had a crush on Percy. Speaking of the sequel series, The Heroes of Olympus, I'll be reading that next, and I'm mostly un-spoilered, and although I did read the first two books, it was years ago. 

That's all 'til tomorrow!

Spoiler

On to episodes 5 and 6 of season 2.

"Creepy twin alert! Creepy twin alert! Help!"

"Eska, you may be a Yandere, but trying to kill your cousin is not a good idea. Just a bit of advice."

"Oh, hey, Lin, there you are. 'Thanks for starting a war.' Ha ha ha. Classic Lin."

"Awwwwwwww! A baby flying lemur. Cuteness overload! Hey, I wonder if he's Momo's distant descendant?"

"Go on, Korra, tell Asami how important she is to you! Come on. ...Any moment now."

*Korra mentions Iroh #2* "Yes, bring Iroh #2 back! He's awesome!"

"Aaaah! Creepy twin jump scare!"

"Huh. Meelo's growing up a little bit. And he has...a flying lemur army? Who knew."

"Poor Mako. He suffers from a bad case of Generic Love Interest Syndrome. Considering who he's named after, he deserves so much more."

"Creepy twins! On jetskis! Trying to capture Korra! And a giant eldritch abomination sea monster dark spirit thing! And it swallowed Korra whole! What is happening?!"

"You know, I get the feeling that Bolin's dip into the propaganda movie industry won't end well."

"'Your girlfriend's about to die and instead of untying her, you kiss her?' That's Hollywood in a nutshell, Varrick. Wait, what're you saying? It's not genius! It's stupid." 

"Wow. Asami can drive a car, and now a boat! What next, a train? Also, Asami, no. First Aang, then Korra, now you. Enough with main characters surprise kissing their love interests! That's neither helpful nor healthy." 

"WHAT?!?!?! VARRICK IS A BAD GUY AND MANIPULATED EVENTS TO BUY ASAMI'S COMPANY?! I...really should have seen that coming. That's brilliant."

"Great, Korra's lost her memory. Wonder how long that'll last. Who're these people in funny hats? ...And the episode's over." *sigh* 

"Compared to how the first season focuses on larger things like corruption and fascist-esque cults, and how good intentions can get twisted over time, it's nice how this season brings things much closer to home for Korra, in more ways than one. Lots of people don't seem to like this season especially, but so far I'm enjoying it just as much as the first one." 

Kura Reads: Percy Jackson and The Olympians

Spoiler

Book 5 might be the most epic feeling of the series. The entire final battle is just plotted out so well. 

I especially love how, near the end, when all hope seems lost [almost literally], Nico, Hades, Demeter, Persephone AND Poseidon show up for a Big Damn Heroes moment. [Also, Hades wins the 'Worst Dad Ever' award. The fact that Nico only ever wanted his approval and trust and, well, just a second glance, it still doesn't excuse how Hades treated him one bit.]

But it is the last duel against Kronos that the rest of the book hinges on. Luke struggling to maintain his identity while Kronos tries to force him to kill his former friends, then Luke killing himself to save everyone, and his final conversation with Percy and Annabeth...it's just...crushing. Thalia never got to say goodbye to him, either. 

Even worse than that, however, is the fact that Luke's mother will continually lose her mind over and over and over and over again, and spend the rest of her life, like she spent most of her life already, making sandwiches and baking cookies for a son who will never, ever come home. That by far is the most disturbing, horrifying, and sad part of the entire series, and possibly of any book I have ever read. 

On a somewhat mood whiplash-y kind of side note, I'm glad the Percy--Annabeth--Rachel love triangle is done with. It dragged both Book 4 and this book down a bit. Also, the descriptions of some of the things that are going on before the final battle starts are quite funny. Who knew that a giant badger monster once chased a bunch of satyrs through Toronto? Also also, it's easy for me to forget that gun laws are different down south, so when Percy's mom takes out a monster with a shotgun, all I was thinking was, 'I hope she has her licence, or she'll get arrested." 

Tomorrow I'll start the first book of the Heroes of Olympus, though given how long each of them are, I might read them in two parts.  

I personally don't understand why season 2 of Korra is as disliked as it is.

Spoiler

On to episode 7 of season 2

"Oh, I've been so looking forward to the next two episodes. It's so exciting!"

"Oh, hey, Avatar Roku. It's been awhile. ...Did they really just bring back his voice actor to say one line? Sheesh."

"Wait, what, the first Avatar, from 10,000 years ago? Avatar Wan. I've been looking forward to meeting you, too. What's with your hair? You look like an shonen anime protagonist. But your personality...it's...certainly unusual. When I think 'Avatar', I don't think mischievous sneak. He reminds me a bit of Sokka, if Sokka had a lot of energy and was as energetic as a...I don't know, a flying lemur?" 

"Wow, this art style is like paintings combined with animation."

"Oh, look, it's the Lion Turtle ex Machina from Avatar season 3."

"So the first Avatar was also the first firebender. Interesting. What, is he like the Avatar version of Prometheus?"

"A giant frog spirit? What the heck? And even the grass is after him now. Poor Wan."

"Wan more or less single-handedly made friends with all the spirits in the forest. That's pretty awesome."

"More eldritch abominations? Oh, Wan, what are you getting into? No, don't go near them! ...Raava and Vatuu. Huh. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 'dark' Avatar spirit. It just...I don't know, rubs me the wrong way. Granted, I'm not a big fan of stories where all the 'evil' in the world is caused by one being, or one thing. ...And I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to see how Wan becomes the first Avatar, though given Raava's [admittedly kind of creepy] design, I can already make a good guess."

Kura Reads; The Heroes of Olympus

Spoiler

I actually managed to read almost the whole of book 1 in one day, despite everything else going on. I actually like the third-person narration split among Jason, Piper, and Leo. It really gives them much more personality, which was one of the downsides to Percy's first-person narration in his series--the other characters didn't get a chance to grow or develop much. 

As fun as it is, this book feels a lot more like a prelude to the rest of the series, sort of moving the pieces into place. That being said, there are some nice moments, like Leo bonding with his mechanical dragon. 

It's become a bit of a running joke for me, when the heroes meet some Greek mythic creature or person in disguise, and I'm going 'I know who it is already', and it takes them pages and pages to figure it out. 

Spoiler

I really, really liked the art style of these episodes.

I totally get what you mean about Vatuu, and the whole thing about one entity being the cause/source of all 'evil'. I'm not a fan of it either.

At the rate I'm going, I should be caught up on Korra with you by tomorrow. 😄

Spoiler

On to episode 8 of season 2

"Uh...this doesn't seem like such a good idea...launching yourself out of a tree over a massive cliff. Yep, only Wan would think of doing something like that."

"Here comes Vatuu. His voice sounds familiar for some reason." 

"Only a year for Wan to master all the elements. Well, Aang managed it in only a few months, if I recall correctly. Except that hasn't happened yet..."

"I can see why people wouldn't like the idea that instead of reincarnating to keep peace and help the world because they want to, the Avatar is actually reincarnating to subdue Vatuu forever, to atone for what Wan accidentally did. Though I suppose they are technically doing both at once. I just kind of figured, after watching Aang change so many people throughout three seasons, that eventually there wouldn't be a need for the Avatar anymore."

"Aww. Raava actually cares about Wan, even when she's so tiny he can carry her in a teapot. For a spirit of light, she kind of started out as a jerk, though not an intentional one. I guess fighting Vatuu all the time wouldn't let her help anyone. Time for a terrible joke. Does this mean that Raava was the first Polteageist? Sorry. I couldn't resist." 😅

"speaking of trying to subdue Vatuu for ever, I'm kind of surprised that so far none of the Avatars seem to have had any existential crises over it."

"Woah! Giant freaking dark laser beams! How's Wan going to manage this?"

"So...what would happen if everyone was able to stop fighting, to live in peace, to respect and love each other equally? Would that mean the end of Vatuu? If what he's saying about how hatred and fighting make his stronger, would the opposite be true?"

"...And thus the Avatar was born, together as one, to the tune of the Avatar State theme. Beautiful."

"Wan, I decree that your first duty as the first Avatar is to shave off your little beard thing. It's very distracting."

Kura Reads: The Heroes of Olympus

Spoiler

I finished the last 150 odd pages of Book 1 today, and of course that happens to be when Thalia shows up again. Then I started on Book 2. It takes a while to get used to Percy narrating in third-person, but it's balanced by his new friends, Hazel, and Frank, having their own chapters. Percy's made it to the Roman camp, and is about to head out on his quest to free Death and stop Gaia, with Hazel and Frank in tow. But none of that matters because Nico's back!!!!!!! And Hazel's his old-new sister [it's complicated]. 

Spoiler

On to episode 9 of season 2

"So Jinora can see spirits...huh. Wonder how this'll work out."

"...Yeah, Bumi #2, I don't believe for a second that you once beat an earthbending in a rock-throwing contest."

"That's a lot of exposition to say in one go, Korra. Good job."

"Bolin needs a stunt-double. Or, even better, to get out of the industry entirely."

"Now's your chance to run away from your father, Eska. He clearly doesn't care about anyone." 

"Manipulative bad guy he may be, but Varrick is still as weird as ever.--Wait, he just threatened Asami and Bolin like it was no big deal. Yikes."

"Time for Jinora to be a hero." 

Spoiler

I managed to read the rest of book 2 today. Things are finally coming together, and the team get a new pet: a harpy named Ella who has memorized so many books that she can randomly quote just about anything, and make naturally cryptic prophecies on the side. 

Also, I have to mention the joke that started back in book 2 of Percy's series, where the heroes encounter northern cannibal giants, and Percy asks what they're called, and Annabeth says 'Canadians'. In book 2 of Heroes, Percy once again encounters the giants, and yells 'Canadians!' without thinking, causing Frank, who happens to be Canadian, to say, 'Excuse me?' That'd probably be my reaction, too.

So, Death [Thanatos, to be precise, although his Roman name is listed as Lestus, I always thought it was Mors. Granted, my Latin is pretty rusty] is free, but when I think 'Thanatos', I don't think, as Percy says, of a 'muscular Cupid'. 

Nico, who's appearance in this book was unfortunately brief, is missing, but on the plus side, Percy's been reunited with his brother Tyson, and his pet hellhound, and the Greek and Roman Demigod camps are about to combine forces. What I want to know is, where'd Grover go? He appeared in a dream sequence [those happen a LOT in these series] in book 1, but other than that, he wasn't with Tyson, which is kind of strange. Hopefully he'll show up soon. 

This is where things get really interesting, as I haven't read any of the other three books in the series, and am 99% unspoilered aside from a major thing that happens at the end of book 3. Speaking of which, I will start reading book 3, The Mark of Athena, tomorrow.

Spoiler

On to episode 10 of season 2

"Wait, no bending in the Spirit World? Oh, dear."

"Jerk prairie dog-meerkat spirits. Now I've seen everything." 

"Who knew that giant whale spirits' stomachs lead to mysterious foggy forests? infested with corrupted spirits?"

"What the heck? Why is Korra kid all of a sudden? Well...she's very cute, at least."

"IROH'S HERE OH MY GODDESSES! HOORAY HOORAY! I was not expecting that at all! Hehe. Making tea out the same pot that Raava was in. *happy sigh* He hasn't changed. He's still silly awesome Iroh. Wow, that cake looks delicious."

"Oh, look, it's the creepy owl librarian. Wait, wait, wait...so that researcher really did die when the library sank into the desert in Avatar season 2. Yikes." 

"He...thinks that radios have tiny people in them. From horror to comedy in just a few seconds." 

"Pai Sho reminds me of Pente. Funny how two different cultures could come up with two very similar games."

"...'In the Spirit World, your emotions become your reality.' that sounds absolutely terrifying."

"Is Korra's uncle a nihilist? That's the only explanation I can think of that would make him want to destroy everything. Unless Vatuu's possessing him or something."

"Sheesh, that's a lot of teeth. Korra, why are you laughing? They're still creepy even when purified!"

"Wow! A phoenix dragon thing!" 

"Vatuu looks like the Eye of Sauron, stuck in the tree like that."

"I'd rather not be the one to point this out but...is Jinora really worth the world? I mean, from a storytelling standpoint, it's obvious that Korra will save the day because, well, she's the hero, but I see this all the time in stories where the world is at stake--the heroes will willingly trade the world for their friends/family members' lives simply because, as Red pointed out in her Trope Talk video on Saving The World, it's what the audience can comprehend." 

"Korra's uncle was seriously going to destroy, not just her, but all the avatars? Why?! And I'm not buying the 'oh, it's because he's evil' cliche. There's got to be some motivation, but I haven't got a clue." 

"I just realized who Vatuu's voice reminds me of, and now I'll never be able to take him seriously again." 

Spoiler

Well, barely a hundred pages into Mark of Athena, and a bunch of my predictions are already disproved. I expected the two camps to unite, but now there's hints that either Leo isn't who he says he is, or is being controlled by someone, or both, and now an alliance with the Roman camp seems very slim.  I only just started it, so there's not really much to say today, aside from the fact that Ella's new prophecy makes no sense, and Piper's dagger visions are very, very creepy. Oh, and Nico's still missing. 

Spoiler

When Korra asks "How can you marry each other? Aren't you..." I don't get why she would ask that. Does she think that spirits can't get married? Or frogs?

It's stated that human emotions can affect spirits, but no one points out that the opposite is also true.

9 minutes ago, Omega the Shadow said:
  Hide contents

When Korra asks "How can you marry each other? Aren't you..." I don't get why she would ask that. Does she think that spirits can't get married? Or frogs?

It's stated that human emotions can affect spirits, but no one points out that the opposite is also true.

Maybe it's the fact that they're a two-headed frog spirit that confused her?

I was just thinking the exact same thing! 😁

8 minutes ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

Maybe it's the fact that they're a two-headed frog spirit that confused her?

Oh, I completely missed that. Silly me.

Spoiler

On to episode 11 of season 2

"This makes me wonder what movies could be like in the future of Avatar world. I kind of wish there were more series after Korra now."

"The ridiculousness of the script and special effects reminds me of one of the old Doctor Who episodes, if the acting was 100 times worse than usual."

"Yay, Bolin gets a chance to actually be a hero."

"As complicated as Varrick's plan was, it was still well executed. If Bolin hadn't been wandering around where he wasn't supposed to, it would have gone off perfectly." 

"Oh, come on! Enough with the surprise kisses! Ugh."

"Team Korra is back together! Oh, Korra, not you, too. That's two surprise kisses you've given to Mako. Bolin's expression as he looks back and forth at Korra and Asami is priceless. Poor Asami." 

"Mako, now you're just being a jerk for no reason by not telling Korra about dating Asami. Has the love triangle effect hurt you that badly?" 

"...Varrick was so super prepared that he made his own prison cell into a luxury room. What."

"'I'm sure he's fine.' Cut to Korra's dad being overwhelmed by an army of corrupted spirits, the creepy twins, and Korra's uncle one after the other. No, don't attack by yourself! You can't win without Korra! If only characters had my genre savvyness." 

Spoiler

I managed to read all the rest of Mark of Athena today. 

First off, Leo, shaming and taunting someone for their own suicide...that's just twisted. My opinion of Leo has gone down quite a bit from that. Speaking of Leo, I sure wasn't expecting him to be the great-grandson of Hazel's first boyfriend. 

I had to laugh at Dionysus/Bacchus extending the series-wide trend of getting Percy's name wrong on purpose to Jason. 

One thing I'm confused about is why Grover still hasn't been mentioned. It just seems so wrong, since the hero trio has always been made of Percy, Annabeth, and Grover. It's almost like everyone else forgot he exists. I guess he could be back at the Greek Camp, but it seems really out of character for him to not be at least looking for Percy. *shrug*

Also, I might as well mention it here: I like how Frank is a son of Ares/Mars who doesn't like fighting, and tries to be gentle around people. The irony of it is too good. 

So now that Percy and Annabeth are together again, and Jason and Piper are together again, and Frank and Hazel are now a couple, that leaves Leo all by himself.

This really feels like Annabeth's book. Her method of spur-of-the-moment planning being enough to trap Arachne, it was brilliant. 

There's a somewhat amusing story regarding this book and me. So way back when I was just newly in high school, my karate friend came up to me one time, all excited about the Mark of Athena, as it had just released. He said, 'Percy and Annabeth fall into Tartarus!'. So I've been spoilered about that for eight years. 

But at least the rest of the heroes managed to rescue Nico! 

Spoiler

On to episode 12 of season 2

"You're waiting for the right moment, huh, Mako. Yeah...no. I can certainly understand being reluctant to tell people things, so maybe I shouldn't be telling him off."

"Uh...about your plan, Tenzin. I'm really not thinking it'll work." 

"You know the situations' bad when Bumi #2 is actually making sense for once. Strategy, yes, good plan. Nice earmuffs. 'We managed to capture them [the pirates] with a feather, two eggs, and a barrel of molasses'. Er...Did Bumi #2 transform into the Doctor when I wasn't looking?"

"It's really hard to take any of Jinora's situation seriously when Bumi #2's still wearing pink earmuffs." 

"That's...actually a good plan. Well done, Asami."

"The creepy twins are back!" 

"The whole team, all working together. *happy sigh* It's just like old times."

"That was quite a crash landing. How is no one dead? I guess the people of the Avatar world would have to be super resistant, just to be able to bend."

"WHAT???? Korra's uncle's plan still makes no sense. Why, exactly, would he think that becoming a 'Dark Avatar' would actually help anything? I don't get it." 

"Well, Bumi #2, the fate of the world is all up to you. Purifying a bunch of corrupted spirits with just a flute. Good job." 

"You won't be able to reason with a Yandere, Korra."

"Bumi #2 just managed to ruin the camp by complete accident and rescue everyone, by complete accident, Wow. He certainly lives up to his namesake now." 

"Don't worry, you two, it'll be just like a pro-bending match, except you're facing only one person and he very much wants to kill you. So...not really much like pro-bending after all."

"Now all Vatuu needs is a magic ring that turns people invisible and slowly corrupts them. Who needs an army of orcs when you've got glowy purple stuff. Why is purple often used as an 'evil' colour, anyway? It makes no sense."

"Well, Vatuu's free, and only two more episodes to go. Ooh, the suspense!"

Spoiler

I only got to read the first couple chapters of The House of Hades today, since I was busy with other stuff. So instead I'm going to talk about what an appallingly brutal life Nico has lived, and he's still very young, only a couple years younger than Percy. He needs a hug and a kitten, and someone to love him not necessarily in that order.

Spoiler

On to episode 13 of season 2

"...Kya's five second meditation actually worked? Okay, then." 

"Tenzin, you don't have to airbend. You could just stand up." 

" 'That's not the same mushroom!' 'Yes, I am!' Talking mushrooms? Sure, why not."

"Iroh's back! To give a rather ominously cryptic statement." 

"Bwah! Creepy twin jump scare! Bolin's expression! I went from fear to laughing. That would probably be my reaction, too. Sheesh."

"What's with the red eyes = evil thing? It's a bit tiring."

"WHAT?!?!?!? Commander Zhao?! Oh, gods. Oh, gods." 

"This might just be one of the most epic fights in the entire series, even though Korra's currently losing."

*Avatar State Theme* "Heck yeah!"

"...Eska, you need serious help. ...You probably need some, too, Bolin, with acting that terrible."

"Did...did he just...did he just spirit-bend Raava out of Korra...?"

"Wait, wait, what about all the other people? You can't leave them behind! Tenzin, how could you?"

"...Excuse my language, but what the heaven? All the Avatars...even Wan...and Raava...obliterated...? That can't...it can't be Avatar without the Avatar! How?! There's still two more seasons! This can't be a permanent thing." 😨

Spoiler

I said yesterday that I was going to talk about Nico, and then I got distracted by other things. Luckily, there's lots of interesting developments in the latest section I read to talk about. 

Percy and Annabeth's journey through Taratarus. It's one of those journeys, like the majority of Firewing, that's so painful to read. 

Grover finally shows up! He was at the Greek camp all along, making sure Rachel's safe. Good for him. 

Eros/Cupid mentions how Thanatos is his counterpart, which I found really neat. I also liked how Zephyr mentions his long ago crush on Hyacinthus, which lead to Hyacinthus' death. I kind of wonder why Apollo didn't just make Hyacinthus immortal, but I guess otherwise we wouldn't have such a lovely flower? 

At long last, Nico admits his crush on Percy. I can only imagine how excruciating that must have been. 

Pluto said something really, really interesting in his speech to Hazel: "The dead see what they believe they will see. So do the living."

Korra spoilers:

Spoiler

I always thought it would've made more sense for the Dark Avatar's eyes to glow black, since Vatuu's body is primarily black, and the Light Avatar's eyes glow white, and Raava's body is primarily white. Admittedly, though, that would probably make him look very, very creepy.

One thing I've learned from all the fiction I've watched/read/etc is that black, red, and purple (and sometimes green or orange) is the definitive palette of evil. 🙄

Spoiler

On to episode 14 of season 2

'I need to know what enemy we're dealing with.' *Vatuu flies out of nowhere* "Is that close enough for you, Iroh #2?"

"No, not the Aang statue!"

"Lin gets to be awesome again, finally."

"How many back-up plans does Varrick have???"

"...a giant glowing Korra? Reminds me of the big Steven Universe fusions. All I want to do is see you turn into a Giant Woman..."

"Bolin, you don't love her! Urgh."

"Where'd Jinora learn to levitate and glow?"

"Bye, Vatuu. You certainly overstayed your visit."

"Don't worry, Korra. Now you can get together with Asami." 

"I still can't fully comprehend the idea of all the past Avatars being gone forever. Maybe there's a chance that they're all in the spirit world, and Iroh can find them and give them cake and tea."

Spoiler

I got through the rest of The House of Hades today. I think it might be my favourite of this series. The action is intense, and the plot moves along at a satisfying pace, and Nico gets some time in the spotlight. He never does confess his crush on Percy to Percy, but hopefully in the next book he can find new love. 

Speaking of Percy, I didn't think it was possible for his and Annabeth's journey to get worse, but it did. 

I also should mention that Coach Hedge is so annoying, my least favourite character by far, and he can't hold a candle to Grover. 

Leo crash-landing on Calypso's island helps her unleash her inner Tsundere, which I found very funny. But then she had to ruin it by surprise kissing him. Everywhere I look now, there's surprise kisses! I've had more than enough of it! 

Spoiler

I should have known you were going to bring up Giant Woman. But so was I. 😁

Spoiler

On to episode 1 of season 3

"Daww. Bumi #2 made a little outfit for his spirit friend. ...That tree branch is definitely going to break. It's one of those inevitable things, like streams that suddenly become waterfalls. See, I was right."

"Uh, what? Bumi #2 is...an airbender??? Was he like that all along and never knew, or is this a recent development?"

"All of Jinora's spirit friends remind me of Studio Ghibli type creatures." 

"Aww. Time for a little Korra--Asami bonding moment."

"You know it's a serious situation when Bolin is the one making sense."

"Huh. So this means that Airbending is finally making a come-back after 170 years." 

"Ouch! An airbended door to the face. Poor Mako. He still can't get over his case of Generic Love Interest Syndrome, either."

"Yay! A date! Now, Korra, make Asami's favourite food or something! ...Er. I get the feeling that Korra would try to cook by firebending...Nevermind. Ah! Korra's blushing! It's adorable! Eyes on the road, Korra!" 

"...An angry hedgehog spirit? Okay, then."

" 'I wish your grandfather was here to see this.' You and me both, Tenzin. But, then, there wouldn't be a Korra, would there..."

"Spiritbending the vines. What a great idea. ...Okay, maybe not." 

"Wait, Korra has a glider now? Where'd she get that?"

"Being famous isn't so great, huh, Korra." 

"Time to meet the villain of the season, I presume. Hey, I was right, and he wants to bring an end to the White Lotus Order. Well, it's only logical--anyone who wants to tear down something that Iroh worked so hard to keep going must be villainous."

Spoiler

I didn't get too far in the last book, The Blood of Olympus, but I'm am pleased to report that Nico finally, finally, FINALLY gets a point-of-view chapter. Hooray!

Spoiler

On to episode 2 of season 3

"Wow. That's certainly an impressive airship."

"Wait, wait, they're going to Bah Sing Se? Oh, no."

"Who's this guy? A friend of Zaheer's? That can't be good."

"Giant pepper-looking things as a main course? No thanks."

"This is a very interesting dilemma. Just because someone's an airbender doesn't mean they're automatically a part of the culture. It's like Bolin assuming that Korra's a waterbender just because she's part of one of the water tribes. Granted, that doesn't really work since...she is a waterbender, but, still." 

"Poor Tenzin. He's trying so hard. 'Your best friend will be a giant bison!' ...Maybe a little too hard."

"Ouch. Making jokes about basement dwellers. Not funny. Well, having a character conform to the stereotype doesn't help, either."

"Hmm. Zaheer seems to be gathering some...friends..."

"Woah, she...can use waterbending...as a replacement for her arms...that's awesome! But...she was stuck in a volcano prison, for who knows how long, and probably deprived of water, as well. So...did the guards have to...feed her and...everything? Why am I even wondering that?"

"Where'd you get that mustache, Bolin?"

"Mako, your acting is even worse than Bolin's. I didn't think it was possible."

"Aww, Jinora's got a little crush on Kai. Hopefully this'll turn out alright."

O.O "Zuko! Where have you been all this time! ...and he has a dragon!"

Spoiler

Nico got not one, not two, but THREE chapters! He mentioned something, two things, in fact, that I found rather significant, so much so that I'm going to quote a couple passages:

"...so often he'd been called on to do the impossible. Normally, as soon as he accomplished it, he was forgotten. ...Everybody had smiled. They had invited him to sit at their table. After about a week, his welcome worse thin. ...He would emerge from the shadows beside the campfire, startle somebody, and see the discomfort in their eyes. 'Are you still here? Why are you still here?'..."

I've been there. Not in exactly the same way, but similar. Every single time I went to a camp, or some social gathering [usually arranged by my mum], I was always the odd one out, and no one would ever call me afterwards. Ever. 

"Nico had once read a story from Plato, who claimed that, in the ancient times, all humans had been a combination of male and female. Each person had two heads, four arms, four legs. Supposedly, these combo humans were so powerful, they made the gods uneasy, so Zeus split them in half, man and woman. Ever since, humans had felt incomplete. They spent their lives searching for their other halves. "And where does that leave me?" It wasn't his favourite story." 

Here's my unpopular opinion of the day: Plato had his own views, and not everyone has to agree with him. 

Spoiler
1 hour ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

"Ouch. Making jokes about basement dwellers. Not funny. Well, having a character conform to the stereotype doesn't help, either."

Ugh, I remembered that part. It was just as distasteful the first time I watched it as it is now.

Spoiler

On to episode 3 of season 3.

"Jinora and Kai are teaching Bumi #2. I get the feeling that this isn't going to end well. ...And Kai steals his wallet."

"I sure hope this won't end up devolving into a 'overprotective father forbidding a budding romance because of personal prejudice' cliche." 

"...My opinion of the Earth Queen is very low, and we haven't even met her yet."

"Hey, that's Scar's line."

"Holy Quan Yin, what a perfectionist-ic jerk."

"Here's the next unpopular opinion of the day: Team Korra seems to be getting a bit too big. As Mythcreants has pointed out several times, the more main characters there are, the less focus can be given to each of them."

"Ha ha. Bolin's being so polite instead of leaping around like Mako."

"Ooh! Trains! I love trains."

"Seriously, what're the odds of Mako and Bolin just so happening to meet their uncle and cousin in the middle of an enormous city?"

"Not the creepy twins again. Nice that they're leaders together, I guess."

"Wow, that's one huge extended family."

"...Punk gangs on motorcycles?"

"Ahahaha. Zuko, seventy years may have passed, but you're still a total dork."

"Aww, Mako, that's such a sweet gesture."

"The Dai Li?!?!?!? Oh, no. And they've got Kai. Oooh, no." 

Spoiler

I got to the end of the last book, and my reactions to the ending can be summed up as:

Nico getting a potential boyfriend, with the two of them bickering like an old married couple within seconds of meeting each other? Adorable! [Nevermind Apollo getting his own series, there needs to be a series with Nico and Will!]

The gods arriving to help the heroes defeat the giants? Epic!

Piper using charmspeak to put Gaia to sleep? Equally epic! 

Leo turning his flying ship into his mechanical dragon from the first book, and using it to incinerate Gaia? Freaking awesome!

Nico confessing his crush and making his peace with Percy? Incredibly heartwarming!

Calypso getting ready to leave her island for the first time in 3,000 years? Strangely bittersweet. 

Leo not sending a message to his friends that he's still alive? Weirdly selfish of him. I don't get it. I guess it can be presumed that he eventually got around to it, but...*shrug*

Tomorrow I'll start reading Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard. 😁

Spoiler

On to episode 4 of season 3.

"Brave words, Korra's dad. But I'm thinking you'll likely not succeed, even with Zuko and the creepy twins helping you."

"No! Not the dragon! I was going to nickname him Fang #2 and everything!"

"I'm sure some people would be all 'why couldn't Zuko stop them?' Best Firebender in the world or not, the effects of old age is not to be overlooked. It irritates me when people do that. Plus, Team Aang wasn't with him." 

"Speaking of teams, Zaheer's group is paralleling Team Aang quite a bit, actually. Both groups are made of misfits who see each other as family. Team Korra, too, to a certain extent."

"Time for another Korra + Asami bonding moment, while Korra pounds out her frustrations."

"Bah Sing Se really needs to get a new queen."

"As if the Dai Li weren't horrible enough, now they're showing signs of becoming like a...certain other group."

"Dawww. Pabu is too cute."

"Lin's here! Hooray!" 

"Tenzin asks how it's possible. Apparently he needs to watch Kung Fu Panda, and learn that going anywhere near an imprisoned enemy is just asking for them to escape."

"Time for the big breakout." 

"I actually agree with Bolin on this one."

"Raava save us from the queen."

"Phew. That was really intense."

Kura Reads: Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard

Spoiler

First off, I'm liking this book, book 1, The Sword of Summer, very, very much. 

The ridiculous chapter titles that started with Percy's series are back. My favourites include: 'Phil the Potato Meets His Doom', 'Let's Play Frisbee With Bladed Weapons!', 'We Have A Pre-Decapitation Party, With Egg Rolls', 'I Psychoanalyze A Goat', 'What The Hel?' and 'Who's Idea Was It To Make The Wolf Unkillable?' [All of them make total sense in context, just like the ones in Percy's series, I promise.] 

It also continues the joke of me figuring out who various mythic figures are within sentences of them showing up. I knew that the mysterious dark figure setting everything on fire was Surt was just by reading his description, I knew who Loki was in the same way, though admittedly, describing his scars was too obvious, and I figured out that Magnus is the son of Frey just by reading the title. See, reading about world mythology and playing the Persona games are good for something!

Speaking of Loki, he reminds me of Luke, if Luke was who knows how many hundreds of years old, and very, very persuasive. I don't trust him, and neither should Mangus, no matter how convincing his statement about wanting to prevent Ragnarok seems. 

Also, I'm convinced that Hearth and Blitz, Magnus' self appointed protectors/only friends/sort of surrogate parents, are a couple [the former's a deaf elf with peculiar fashion sense, and the latter's a dwarf who's allergic to sunlight]. I might be a bit too good at reading romantic subtext, though...

Also, also, Magnus has been joined on his quest by Samirah, Muslim ex-Valkyrie and secret daughter of Loki, and probably a Tsundere given how she acts around Magnus.

Did I mention that Magnus is also Annabeth's cousin, and has Steven Universe-level of healing powers? Fun times! 

By the way, for those of you who've read the books, you're probably wondering what godly parent I would have. Artemis is unfortunately out for obvious reasons, and I was thinking Athena for a while, but to say that war's not my type of thing would be the biggest understatement ever. So, I'm not sure. As for the Norse gods, I'm thinking Freya, especially since she's one of the only ones who's...actually halfway decent. 

Spoiler

On to episode 5 of season 3.

"Time to play fetch with Naga. What, Lin doesn't want to play? Her loss. Hey, hey, destroying Naga's toy. That's a jerk move. Don't be a jerk, Lin."

"Ooh, Lin has secrets."

"Oh, no, oh, no, oh, no, ohhhhhh no. What is Zaheer doing at the temple and what does he want?"

"Toph gets her own statue. Neat. Wait, wait, so she might still be alive? Korra, go find her! It's your duty as Avatar to reunite with old friends!"

"Bending being used as dance. Huh. That's a really great idea, since it's very dance-like already."

"She must be Lin's sister. Ha! I was right!" 

"A fast paced game with metal flying around at super speeds. No thanks."

"Aww. Opal's cute." 

"Wow. This scene of Korra teaching Opal airbending, with the setting sun in the background, and the erhu-type instrument playing...it's beautiful."

"Meelo, stop being annoying."

"Varrick?! What the flip?"

"Did all of Team Aang end up as not so great parents?" 

"Leave it to Korra to interrupt a romantic moment." 

"No, no, no, too creepy, too creepy, get away from him! Thank goodness Kya's come to the rescue." 

"How is Zaheer this good if he only got airbending recently? Something's not adding up here."

"Lin, stop being a jerk. But, really, I can empathize with her. Even the best families can be tough. ...Did I just accidentally make a really terrible pun? Sheesh."

Kura Reads: Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard

Spoiler

So, I finished book 1 today. I enjoyed it very much, especially how Magnus managed to trick Fenrir, and Hearth being awesome with his magic.

I declare that if I get through the last two books without breaking my record of already knowing who the mythic figures are, I'll add 'Mythic Ace' to my Aven title. If it does get broken, well, I'll probably add it anyway. I did slip up a bit with Utgard-Loki, though, only because I didn't know he could turn into an eagle. Granted, he is master of illusion, so it's not that I didn't know who he was, it's that I didn't know who was masquerading as an eagle. 

I also didn't figure out that X was Odin in disguise, when I really should have guessed it at the beginning. Does that count? ...Nah. 

Also, Loki's holding Magnus' uncle's family prisoner. How dare he. 

I accidentally on purpose spoiler-ed myself. See, the box sets of Percy's series and the Heroes series have relationship charts at the back for every single Rick Riordan series thus far, and I wanted to check to see if Hearth and Blitz get confirmed as a couple. They aren't, which was super disappointing. However, I also found out that Magnus gets a love interest, and here's the interesting thing--all the other characters are referred to like this: Mangus, son of Frey, or Samirah, daughter of Loki. Like that. But, Magnus' love interest, who is apparently named Alex, is referred to as child of Loki. Not son, not daughter, just gender neutral child.

Needless to say, that got me really excited for book 2. 

Spoiler

It's hard to believe that no one has thought to combine bending and dancing before.

What I want to know is why do people keep thinking that it's romantic to talk like that? It's really not, at all. Luckily it doesn't last long and Bolin and Opal have a genuinely nice moment... until Korra interrupts.

Edit in: So I've decided on a bunch of things.

Firstly, since at this rate I'll be finished Korra somewhere in the middle of April, the three surprises I have planned with have to wait until then.

Secondly, I've decided to buy the Kane Chronicles, mainly because Egyptian mythology might just be my favourite next to Hindu and Japanese, and when the Trials of Apollo box set is released sometime probably near the end of this year, or early next year, I'll likely end up buying it, too.

Thirdly, I've figured out what book to read next after Magnus, which I will read while I'm waiting for the Kane Chronicles. However, it's a very short book [by my standards], so I might end up having to pick some more books to read after that. 

Fourthly, I have yet another surprise of sorts, kind of, for when I'm done Magnus.

Lastly, I'll be buying the Avatar and Korra comics, omnibus editions, two for each month, for the next four months, and sharing my thoughts on them on here. Then, in August, I'll buy the Kyoshi novel duology. 

So many surprises! 

^Lots to look forward to!

Archived