Kura Reads, Kura Watches, Kura Plays

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

Kura Re-Watches: Steven Universe

Spoiler

Episode 113: Adventures in Light Distortion

Ah, yes, the episode that I skipped half of the first time round to avoid the flashing and, well, distorted, lights. This time I'd forgotten about it, but oh well. Steven hastily assembles the Gems and takes off into space via the Ruby ship. Pearl once again forgets that humans have limited lifespans, so cue the reality warping faster than light travel! ...and Steven, as usual, blames himself for everything, but the Gems are quick to reassure him, and they managed to arrive at the human Zoo safely. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 🙂 [Very Important]

Episode 114: Gem Heist

In just one episode we get Sapphire's plan to find Greg [which, admittedly, doesn't quite go as planned], meet the super snobbish Holly Blue Agate and some Amethyst guards, get a whole bunch of lore about the Zoo and the Diamonds, and Steven gets sent off to the Zoo and finds his dad! Cliffhanger!

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 😁 [Very Important]

Spoiler

Episode 115: The Zoo

Continuing off from the previous episode, Steven gets introduced to the 'Zoomans' and their seemingly idyllic lives [darn utopias!], showing how they have no choices, and no agency, as everything is decided for them, even partners. Since the Zoo is all they know, they don't have any way to know anything differently. Good thing Steven and Greg arrived! Greg promptly tears it all to pieces once he gives his speech about how important choices are, resulting in the Zoomans feeling 'hurt' for the first time, resulting in the Amethyst guards trying unsuccessfully to restore order. Just as Steven and Greg make their escape, they get caught! Cliffhanger! 

Episode 116: That Will Be All

I'm very tempted, as I was with Rose's Scabbard, We Need To Talk and Crack the Whip, to give this episode a Perfect rating. From Amethyst's interactions with the other Amethysts, to learning a bit more about the Diamonds [such as that Pink Diamond was in charge of all the Rose Quartzes], to Yellow Diamond's song, What's The Use of Feeling, Blue, to the other Amethysts coming to the rescue, there's just so much good stuff. Yellow and Blue's differing approaches to grieving, taken to extremes, is very interesting; Yellow wants to destroy all the Rose Quartzes and Earth, and everything else that could remind her of Pink, whereas Blue wants to hold onto the past and has been in mourning for thousands of years. 

I will admit, seeing Holly Blue Agate getting taken care of and lectured by Pearl was very satisfying to watch. 

[retroactively changed to  [Perfect] because I can!]

Spoiler

Episode 117: The New Crystal Gems

The episode where Connie, Lapis, and Peridot [and Pumpkin] try to take care of things while Steven and the Gems are away, and...nothing goes as planned. Things start out alright, but then Peridot lets her tenuous position of power go to her...gem, and tries to boss everyone else around, and gets into a fight with Lapis, and they nearly wrecks the car wash! So much for being epic heroes. It would've been fun for the trio [and Pumpkin] to go on an actual mission, though. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 🙂 [Optional]

Episode 118: Storm in the Room

I really, really liked this episode [I keep saying that, and will continue to say that!] Steven explores his emotional issues through making a 'holo' version of Rose in Rose's Room, and getting to see the two of them interact, even though that could never actually happen, was so...nice, as Steven himself says. Once he starts venting his frustrations at her, the titular storm in the room occurs [pathetic fallacy, am I right], and in retrospect of A Single Pale Rose, the entire episode becomes so much more heartfelt, and so much more sad, particularly when Steven asks if Rose created him just to run away from her mistakes. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 😁 [Recommended]

Episode 119: Rocknaldo

*sigh* Ronaldo is at his worst selfish jerk-ness here, moving into Steven's house unannounced, declaring himself an honourary Gem, and generally taking over Steven's life. The way he acts as if he's the 'real' Crystal Gem and that Steven is a 'fake' Crystal Gem, as if he knows everything there is to know about being a Gem [which reminded me a bit too much of how certain people act as if they know more about other, usually marginalized, peoples' lives and experiences], as if Steven's experiences don't matter, is what really, really made me wish Steven would stop being so nice and kick him out. He doesn't even really apologize, and his 'apology' is instead, yet again, all about him. 

Now I wish 'Bloodstone' was an actual Gem and not Ronaldo's made up name. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: ☹️ [Optional]

Episode 120: Tiger Philanthropist 

This is a sequel to Tiger Millionaire, and is an okay episode, with a bit of character development for Amethyst. Mr. Smiley's cringe-y puns yet again made me, well, cringe. Lars saying that it's 'the sequel no one asked for' is also kind of unintentionally funny. 

Spoiler

Episode 121: Room For Ruby

The episode where Navy crash lands on the beach and gleefully proclaims her love for everything, and Steven attempts to let her move in with Lapis and Peridot, only for Navy to reveal that she just wanted the Ruby ship, and blasts off to Homeworld, which...will have consequences later. I will admit, I was actually taken in during my first watching. Maybe I'm more like Steven than I want to admit. 

Episode 122: Lion 4: Alternate Ending

The episode where Steven becomes obsessed about his 'magical destiny', convinced that Rose has left secret clues for him to lead to...something. Once Lion throws up a giant pink key that would fit right in to a Kingdom Hearts game, Steven begs Lion to take him to whatever the key unlocks. Much to my annoyance, I was reminded that the mystery of the treasure chest's contents has never been resolved, and that made it a bit difficult to concentrate on the rest of the episode. Steven discovers a tape marked 'For Nora', leading to Greg to reveal that Nora would've been Steven's name if he'd been a girl. Greg points out that he and Rose didn't want to have Steven for some grand 'magical destiny'--they wanted Steven to exist just to live and experience new things, and I'm glad that he comforts Steven the way he does. 

Kura Plays: Animal Crossing New Horizons

Spoiler

Day 120: May 1, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

Hello, everyone, and welcome!

I keep forgetting to visit Redd whenever he's around. 

Turnip Pattern: Random

Items Received:

Labelle Pumps [it took me a second to realize that they're shoes]

Black Ninja Outfit [bought]

Red Embroidered Skirt [bought]

Saharah Items:

Dark Chocolate Wallpaper [this is what I thought the Chocolate Hallway Wallpaper was supposed to be]

Sumo Ring [no thanks]

Yellow Small Round Mat [I already have this!]

DIY Recipes Received:

Peach Rug [from Bea]

Wooden Plank Sign [from Avery]

Hedge Standee [Message Bottle; from Stella]

Bamboo Hat [from Avery]

Closing Thoughts:

It took me five tries to complete the May Day maze, but it was still fun. 

That's all for today! See you next week!

Spoiler

Episode 123: Doug Out

Yet again episode I didn't see because copyright. 

The episode where Steven joins Connie and her dad on a stakeout to find out who's been sneaking around Funland, with Connie doing a Carmen Sandiego cosplay and Steven...doing a Mario cosplay? There's lots of fun interactions, and it turns out that Connie's dad is a pretty cool guy who somehow withstands getting flashlight-ed in the face multiple times in a row. Somehow. Anyway, it seems like the culprit is Onion as usual but...cue the ominous shadows and a cliffhanger! 

Also, I somehow missed that Connie's dad's name is Doug until this episode. Oops. 

Episode 124: The Good Lars

The episode where Lars' passion for baking is revealed, and Buck invites him to a party with the other 'Cool Kids'. Thanks to encouragement from Steven and Sadie, Lars decides to go, and makes a delicious looking ube roll. Steven and Sadie devour it in seconds, so he has to make another one. But then he ends up throwing it in the trash and not going to the party after all. I do get that feeling, of putting so much effort into something, and then bailing out at the last minute, so I can sympathize with Lars here, at least. But...cue the ominous shadows and cliffhanger! 

Episode 125: Are You My Dad?

The episode where Jamie, Sadie, Lars, and Onion are all missing, and it's up to Steven and Connie to figure out what's going on. While looking for Onion in the woods, Steven and Connie get ambushed by Aquamarine and Topaz, who have captured all the missing people! Connie gets stuck in Topaz, and Steven is helpless to rescue her! Cue cliffhanger! 

Also, Aquamarine repeating 'Are you my Dad?', coupled with her British accent, reminded me of that one Doctor Who episode I never want to see again. *shudder* 

Also also, the possibility of other half human half Gem hybrids is brought up, but never explored again, which is really too bad. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 😁 [Very Important]

Episode 126: I Am My Mom

Steven brings the Gems up to date, and they rush to Funland to confront Topaz and Aquamarine and save the missing people! ...Nothing goes as planned. 

Aquamarine reveals that she got her information from Peridot, and so that list of people that Steven recited way back in season 1 has finally come back to bite him. Thanks to Alexandrite, everyone escapes, but then Aquamarine traps them all in her beam wand. Steven decides that his only choice is to give himself up, claiming once again to be Rose Quartz, despite the pleads of his family and friends. Cue cliffhanger and the end of season 4! 

Spoiler

Episode 127: Stuck Together

The episode where Steven and Lars have an emotional heart-to-heart while stuck in Topaz, and Topaz tries to help them escape, but Aquamarine puts a stop to it and all hope seems lost once they arrive at Homeworld! Cue cliffhanger! ...That's a pretty short summary. I do like Topaz being honest about her feelings, and that she really wanted to help out until Aquamarine gave her a verbal beat down. Get the feeling that I really don't like Aquamarine yet? 

Episode 128: The Trial 

The episode where Steven gets put on trial for Rose Quartz' shattering of Pink Diamond, but nothing goes as expected. Blue Zircon successfully points out all the holes in the story, especially the question of how Rose Quartz could actually shatter Pink Diamond in the first place. Steven and Lars escape, but the Diamonds are out to get them! Cue cliffhanger! 

Episode 129: Off-Colours

This episode has joined the list of episodes I wanted to give a Perfect rating. ...I'm the one doing this thing. I should just go with what I actually want. Anyway. I love the Off-Colours; they're so adorable and cute and fun. Lars goes through such good character development in this episode, admitting how scared he feels all the time, and finally gets to take action and save the Off-Colours from the Scanning Eye thingies. But then he dies! *gasp* Onscreen! Steven's healing tears bringing him back to life, and Lars turns pink! Cue cliffhanger!

Also, Lars attempts to use Jurassic Park logic to evade the Scanning Eye thingies, which wouldn't work on an actual T-Rex anyway, so it's doubly funny. 

Episode 130; Lars' Head

Continuing on from the previous episode, Lars has to adjust to being dead and then being alive and pink. Steven discovers that Lars' head is how a portal to Lion's mane dimension, and that he can get back to Earth by going through to Lion's mane. The Off-Colours are so supportive, refusing to go to Earth without him, so Steven reluctantly jumps through Lars' head back to his house. The Gems, Greg, and Connie arrive back right at that moment, and joyful reunions ensue! I must admit, Pearl absently saying 'hi, Steven' while pacing back and forth worrying about how to find Steven when he's standing right near her made me laugh out loud for a long time. 

Spoiler

Episode 131: Dewey Wins

Yet another episode I only saw bits of because copyright. The episode where Steven casually brushes off all of his recent experiences like it's no big deal and hurts Connie's feelings, but Connie won't talk to him, and tries to help Mayor Dewey win the next election, but Mayor Dewey gives up once he realizes that Pizza Nana actually has a good point about responsibility, and Steven realizes how much he hurt Connie. Phew. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 😁 [Recommended]

Episode 132: Gemcation

The episode where Greg and the Gems take a vacation with Steven to try to get him to open up about his feelings and what's bothering him, but Steven spends most of the time obsessively looking at his phone hoping for a reply from Connie. Eventually Steven opens up, and explains how upset he's really feeling, and even though he still didn't get any replies from Connie, he's happy to finally spend time with his family. 

Spoiler

Episode 133: Raising the Barn

The episode where Lapis finds out that the Diamonds are searching for Steven, and decides to leave. Peridot, showing off her character development over the previous seasons, wants to stay, because, as she says, 'Earth is our home now'. I like that both of them have genuinely good points to make, and it's so sad seeing the two of them at odds when they have such a great relationship. In the end, Lapis takes the barn into space, leaving Peridot a complete mess. 

Episode 134: Back To The Kindergarten

Firstly, depressed Peridot's face is terrifying. That aside, this is a heartfelt little episode where Steven and Amethyst try to cheer Peridot up by planting sunflowers in the Kindergarten. The sunflowers die, probably because they need, you know, lots of sunlight, and then Smokey Quartz has to poof a Whack-A-Mole corrupted Gem that was masquerading as a flower. Yep, this show is awesomely weird. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 😁 [Optional]

Episode 135: Sadie Killer

The episode where Steven and the 'Cool Kids' are forming a band, sort of, while Sadie's having to work all of Lars' shifts at the Big Donut. Sadie, as was alluded to in previous episodes, has quite the musical talent, and ends up quitting to do music full time by the end. 

Also, I want donuts, and I don't even like donuts! 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 😁 [Optional] 

Episode 136: Kevin Party

Yet another episode I only saw bits of because copyright. This is such an important episode, because it taught me that people can use the correct pronouns and still be entitled, self-absorbed jerks. Steven is so desperate to talk to Connie that he agrees to come to Kevin's party, and then listens to Kevin's terrible relationship advice. But, he and Connie ultimately reconcile by talking out their feelings, and pointedly don't fuse, to avoid giving Kevin what he wants: attention. 

Also, Kevin falling into the pool is probably the funniest thing I've seen all day. 

Also also, several 'Crewiverse' members are guests at the party. 

Spoiler

Episode 137: Lars of the Stars

The episode where Steven and Connie go back to visit Lars in space through Lion's mane and discover that Lars is now a space pirate [no, not the Metroid kind], with the Off-Colours as his crew, in a stolen spaceship, and has an arch-nemesis in the form of Emerald! Things quickly go full Star Trek, as Stevonnie joins the fun to try to snap Lars out of his Sadie-induced funk, and then Stevonnie gets to pilot a suspiciously Star Wars-like ship to damage Emerald's ship. But Stevonnie's ship is hit and is about to crash-land on a convenient nearby moon! Cue cliffhanger! 

Episode 138: Jungle Moon

The episode where Stevonnie gets stuck on a moon for at least several days, using Connie's 'wilderness survival' training to good effect, and has a very surreal dream involving seeing Yellow Diamond as Connie's mom while Stevonnie is in the role of Pink Diamond. Yellow Diamond speaks casually about planetary genocide, while Pink Diamond acts like a spoiled little sister wanting her big sister's toys [in this case, her own colony]. The dream ends with Pink Diamond smashing a mirror, and Stevonnie gets rescued by Lars, but the dream will be very important later. 

Spoiler

Day 127: May 8, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

I'm kind of waiting for Bea or Tasha or Benedict to decide to leave so I can go on an Islander hunt.

Items Received:

Carnations [4; bought]

Thank You Mom Mug [bought] 

Strawberry Hat [bought]

DIY Recipes Received:

Garden Rock [Bob]

Purple Hyacinth Crown [Message Bottle; from Mint]

Cherry Umbrella [from Rosie]

Bamboo Noodle Slide [Balloon Present]

Mermaid Chair [from Pascal]

Bugs Donated:

Queen Alexandra's Birdwing

Great Purple Emperor

Banded Dragonfly

Pondskater

Rosalia Batsi Beetle

Violin Beetle

Fish Donated:

Betta

Frog [not a fish!]

Diving Creatures Donated:

Sea Urchin

Spotted Garden Eel

Lobster

Closing Thoughts:

Tonight I'm finally going to get the K.K. song I've been wanting to get for weeks but kept forgetting about, and go on a bug hunt, 

Spoiler

Episode 139: Your Mother and Mine

What can I really say about this amazing episode aside from the obvious, that it's amazing? Garnet and Steven visit Lars and the Off-Colours, and Garnet tells them the story of how Rose Quartz started the rebellion, and how she shattered Pink Diamond, and how the other Diamonds blasted the Earth with a shattering beam in retaliation. Steven still has mixed feelings over Rose Quartz' actions, but Garnet reassures him again that 'she did what had to be done'. This will be important a few episodes later.

Also, Revolutionary Girl Utena full art style homage is so, so good.

Episode 140: The Big Show

This is the last episode I didn't see because of copyright. All the others from here on out I've seen before.

The whole episode is Steven recording Sadie and the Cool Kids as they go from preparing songs in Sadie's basement to their first, well, big show at Empire City, with a little help from Greg, and it's all done in an old style camcorder, which I presume must be really difficult to do with hand-drawn animation.

Spoiler

Episode 141: Pool Hopping

I like this episode way more than I probably should, but I don't care. We get some great character development for Garnet, and KITTENS! Also the introduction to Cat Steven and Vidalia's painting that ends up in Steven's bedroom for the rest of the series. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]:  [Perfect] 

Episode 142: Letters to Lars

The episode where Steven sends a letter to Lars through Lars' head, letting him know all the changes going on in Beach City, like how former Mayor Dewey is all looking for a purpose and ends up working at the Big Donut. Steven's line of 'Nothing lasts forever' really stuck with me, and gave me a lot to think about.

Also, the reveal that Steven's been reading the letter aloud while halfway in and out of Lars' head is hilarious. 

Spoiler

Episode 143: Can't Go Back

The episode where Ronaldo discovers Lapis and Peridot's barn on the moon and Steven goes to have a heartfelt chat with Lapis. We get one of the best songs of the show, That Distant Shore, and get to see Lapis' feelings. I really like that at first Lapis seems like she wants to come back and live on the beach, but once Steven has his dream about the Diamonds [and Pearl approaching Pink Diamond with Rose's sword...], everything that Lapis went through is simply too much, and she leaves, flying off into deep space. It would've been easy from a meta perspective to be courageous and rejoin Steven and co, but the fact that she becomes overwhelmed and leaves, is unsatisfying narratively, but so important emotionally. Hopefully I'm making some sort of sense here. 

Also, that one frame of Pink Diamond in silhouette, looking so child-like and diminutive and helpless...I look at it in the third artbook every so often, because it's so haunting somehow. It makes me wonder what Pink Diamond really felt, and thought, about everything.   

Also also, every episode from here on out will be ranked either Very Important or Perfect. 

Episode 144: A Single Pale Rose

This is it. This is the episode that changed the series. Steven wants to talk to Pearl about his Diamond dream, which leads to Steven going into Pearl's pearl in search of Pearl's phone. This leads to 

Spoiler

Steven discovering that Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond were one and the same, and that Pearl was Pink's Pearl, and that Pink faked her own shattering with Pearl's help, and fled to Earth together.

Then Steven says the truth right when Garnet and Amethyst walk in. Awkward! 

This episode gets two Perfect stars, not because I like it more or less than the other Perfect ranked episodes, but just because of how important it is. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]:   [Perfect] 

Spoiler

Episode 145: Now We're Only Falling Apart

Following up from the revelations of the previous episode, Garnet splits apart, literally, with Sapphire being the one to have a complete freak out over it, wondering if everything Rose told her was a lie, even wondering if that made her and Ruby's relationship a lie. At Rose's fountain, now covered in a Sapphire induced blizzard, Pearl gets to clarify some things with a flashback of her running off to Earth with Rose, and almost fusing into Rainbow Quartz for the first time, right before meeting Garnet for the second time. Pearl also explains that Pink had no idea that making gem colonies involved draining the life out of planets. This does little to comfort Sapphire, and the group return to Steven's house, only to find that Ruby has run away! Cue cliffhanger!

Episode 146: What's Your Problem

This is a more relaxed episode following the previous two very emotional episodes. Pearl tries to comfort the distraught Sapphire but that totally backfires. Amethyst tries to process everything that's been happening, while also trying to cheer up Steven, who is focused on searching for Ruby. Amethyst and Steven get to talk out their feelings over a giant mountain of pizza, and later on the beach. The search for Ruby continues! 

Spoiler

Episode 147: The Question

Steven and Amethyst find Greg consoling Ruby, and Ruby declares that she's going to be an independent Gem and goes on a whacky cowboy [cowgirl?] adventure montage. After having a heartfelt chat with Steven, Ruby realizes that she really still loves Sapphire. I will admit, when Ruby proposed to Sapphire, I got a little teary-eyed, but in a good way. 

Also, Amethyst as a horse is hilarious, particularly casually walking up to Pearl and going 'hey, it's me, I'm a horse' during the emotional reunion. 

Episode 148: Made of Honour

The episode where Steven is getting everything ready for Ruby and Sapphire's wedding, and invites Bismuth! Things...don't go as planned. Even after Steven tells her the truth about Rose, she's still anxious about how the other Gems will react to her coming back. But, in the end, Steven convinces her, and everyone's so happy to see her, and she made wedding rings! It's all so adorable.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Re-Watching Steven Universe:

Spoiler

Overly flashy horse transformation scene is overly flashy.

Do I always tear up over every confession of love or marriage proposal? ...No. Just when I like the characters, and relationship between said characters. 😅

Oh. I forgot Bismuth actually mentions Tiger's Eye in this episode. We still never get to see what she looks like, though.

Also, in What's Your Problem, as ridiculous as that pizza looks, the thing I was focusing on the most was the fact that it appeared to have shrimp on it, which I’m allergic to. If it wasn’t for that, I might’ve actually been willing to try a piece of it.

Also, also, I'd like to mention that I consider Pool Hopping one of my favourites now. And Off-Colours, too. I forgot how good that episode was.

Spoiler

Episode 149: Reunited

GARNET'S WEDDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

I love this episode so much. From a fantastic opening song [Let's Only Think About Love], to the actual wedding, to the Diamonds interrupting the festivities, to the Cluster emerging and...forming into a disgustingly human-like hand to...arm-wrestle with Yellow's ship [?!] everyone banding together as a team, to Blue using her emotional powers against the Gems, to her breaking Rose's sword, to Lapis dropping the barn on Blue's head and shaking off Blue's emotional barrage, to Greg saving Cat Steven when the house is hit, to Steven using his dream powers to go through some sort of mental 'don't give up!' thing to everyone, to finally showing Yellow and Blue the truth....it's just so wow. 

Also, Bismuth catching the bouquet and looking up at the sky in bemusement made me laugh so much. 

Episode 150: Legs From Here To The Homeworld

The episode where Yellow and Blue try to heal Centipeedle at Steven's insistence, leading to finding Pink's ship in the desert, leading to a quest to Homeworld with Steven, the Gem trio, and Connie tagging along, leading to meeting White Pearl [which in Future retrospect is just...aaagggh] and White Diamond, who is just as terrifying as she was when I first watched the show. *shudder* The way she treats Steven...it's just...ugh. I'm so eloquent today. 🙄

Spoiler

Day 134: May 15, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

Fang was at the Campsite this week, and I decided to let him move in! He picked Benedict to move out, which also means that Fang and Freya are now neighbours! 

Weekly Visitors:

Monday: Saharah

Tuesday: Leif

Wednesday: CJ

Thursday: Redd

Friday: ???

DIY Recipes Received:

Money Flooring [from Tasha]

Shell Fountain [Message Bottle; from Puck]

Stone Lion Dog [from Julian]

Leaf [Message Bottle; ???]

Purple Hyacinth Wreath [from Bob]

Pond Stone [Message Bottle; from Ankha]

Gold Helmet [from Julian]

Cardboard Sofa [from Peanut]

Closing Thoughts:

I've been too busy with Trio of Towns to do much New Horizons stuff. Too many games, too little time. 

That's all for today! See you next time!

Spoiler

Episode 151: Familiar

The episode where Steven is uncertain about his identity, not helped by Yellow and Blue insistence that he is Pink, and that he'll remember being her eventually. We get the great song, Familiar, and a Cinderella type situation where the adorable Pebbles make a Pink outfit for Steven. 

Come to think of it, as explained in the 3rd artbook, the whole story is almost a Sleeping Beauty basic fairy tale type situation, with Steven [the princess] being hidden away by his three 'fairy godmothers' [the Gem trio], away from his 'evil stepsisters' [Yellow and Blue] and 'evil stepmother' [White]. 

Also, even the architecture in Homeworld is alive, and that's just horrifying. 

Episode 152: Together Alone

Starting off on a 'yikes!' moment, Steven has a nightmare, revealing that White Pearl used to be Pink Pearl. The Diamonds hold a big party, and Yellow and Blue keep trying to pressure him into their own huge expectations and prejudices, and then White Pearl stands in for White Diamond instead, and Steven and Connie fuse and Ruby and Sapphire fuse and Pearl and Amethyst fuse and two bystander gems fuse and everyone gets poofed and Blue throws Srevonnie in a tower cell. Cue cliffhanger! 

Episode 153: Escapism

I actually forgot most of this episode, so my thing about 'all episodes from here on out will be either Very Important or Perfect'...doesn't apply anymore. While certain parts of this episode are important, others...not so much. Why couldn't we have got Stevonnie actually singing Escapism, instead of kind of pointless watermelon Steven stuff? I did like actual watermelon Steven's attempts to communicate to Bismuth and Greg, at least. 

Kura's Crystalline Official Rating [R.O.C.K.]: 🙂 [Semi-Optional] 

Spoiler

Episode 154: Change Your Mind

What can I really say, other than that this is a perfect episode, and a fantastic finale? Steven points out to Blue how not-normal the whole dynamic the Diamonds have with Pink, and eventually get Yellow to join them. Then White's ship [which has the most uncanny valley frightening face since Nyx] takes control of Pink's ship, only for Yellow and Blue's newly repaired ships to arrive, bearing Bismuth, Lapis, and Peridot. Thus begins the epic battle to reach White, with Steven fusing with Amethyst to make Smokey Quartz once more, then with Pearl to make Rainbow Quartz 2.0, then with Garnet to make Sunstone. THEN WITH ALL THREE GEMS TO MAKE OBSIDIAN AND IT IS AWESOME!!!! 

Also, Obsidian's theme really reminds me of the Avatar State theme.

Then things take a sharp dive into nightmare fuel when Steven and the Gem trio reach White, with White taking control of everyone, controlling them like puppets and making them speak with her voice. She then undermines Steven's whole identity, all while remaining completely calm. Then she rips out Steven's gem, leading to a surreal yet strangely beautiful sequence where Steven's gem self and human self reunite. Coming to the realization that Steven is Steven, not Pink, not Rose, and that she is not remotely as perfect and flawless as she assumed, White has a complete temper tantrum freak out and turns pink from embarrassment. 

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Sadie and the Cool Kids are putting on a concert when the Diamonds' ship arrive, and then Lars' ship arrives, and everything is adorable and awkward all at once. 

This leads to Steven singing the main theme, We Are The Crystal Gems--Change Your Mind version, which is a very awkward title, but whatever. During the montage, all the bubbled gems are healed, the Diamonds head back to Homeworld. 

Then, it's just the Gem trio and Steven on the beach, with Steven singing 'Change Your Mind', and I love it all. I just love it all. This is my favourite show, and yes, not all episodes are great, but most of them are, and somehow the Crewiverse managed to wrap everything up in just five, technically six [counting this one as a two-parter] episodes after Garnet's wedding, and for what it's worth, I think they did a very good job. 

Tomorrow I'm going to watch the movie, and then check out the bonus features. 

Re-Watching Steven Universe:

Spoiler

I know it's silly, but I had been waiting all series to see Obsidian, and hear Obsidian's theme again.

Also, I don't want hotdogs. Can I have cookie cats instead?

Steven Universe is, and always will be a very special show to me, and I really don't think anything will ever replace it as my favourite. As far as shows go, even though not every episode is great, Steven Universe as a whole is well deserving of a Perfect rating.

Spoiler

The Movie

Again, what can I say about this movie other than that it's one of my top five favourite movies of all time? It's a complete musical movie, and all the songs are incredible. It says something that of my favourite 30 Steven Universe songs, 9 of them are from the movie. Spinel is, in my not so humble opinion, one of the best villains ever written, and she's constantly teetering on the edges of amusing, entertaining, frightening, disturbing, and just plain bonkers animation. It also says something that while I usually really dislike 'easy amnesia' plots, I love how well done this one is. Yep, I just love this movie. Just like the series, it's funny, sad, heartfelt, adorable, and awesome, all at once. 

Re-Watching Steven Universe: The Movie

Spoiler

Your timing couldn't have been any more perfect. I just finished watching the movie when you posted. 😁

I don't even have anything to add. This is just an incredibly awesome movie filled with all kinds of strong emotional moments all the way through.

Spoiler

Day 141: May 22, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

I had patches of weeds all over the place, but today I got them cleaned up with a lot of help from a friend. 

Turnip Prices: 84-80/101-155/241

Turnip Pattern: Large

Weekly Visitors:

Monday: Gulliver

Tuesday: ???

Wednesday: Labelle

Thursday: Gullivarr

DIY Recipes Received:

Birdbath [Message Bottle; from Francina]

Log Extra Long Sofa [Message Bottle; from June]

Golden Dishes [from Tasha]

Taurus Bath [from Celeste]

Barbell [Message Bottle; from Tank]

Document Stack [from Julian]

Butter Churn [from Tasha]

Closing Thoughts:

I finally got my musical instruments moved to the basement, and tomorrow I'll move the food to the left side room. 

Spoiler

Day 148: May 29, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

Hello everyone, and welcome!

After so many weeks of a weed-ful island, things are looking much better.

Turnip Prices: 100/118/105-90/57-49/42-98/65-60/???-102

Turnip Pattern: Random

DIY Recipes Received:

Golden Toilet [from Freya;....why....just....why]

Tulip Wreath [Message Bottle; from Keaton]

Angled Signpost [Message Bottle; ???]

Cute Rose Crown [from Freya]

Garden Wagon [Message Bottle; from Victoria]

Cherry Speakers [from Rosie]

Bugs Donated:

Diving Beetle

Fish Donated:

Nibble Fish

Rainbowfish

Butterfly Fish

Gigas Giant Clam

Art Donated:

Academic Painting

Weekly Visitors:

Monday: Redd

Tuesday: Flick

Wednesday: CJ

Thursday: Saharah

Friday: Leif

Closing Thoughts:

Heaven's Official Blessing is about as far removed from Animal Crossing as a persimmon is like a penguin, but I still managed to find custom design cosplays. ...Well, there's a rare sentence. 

Spoiler

Day 155: June 5, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

So, Tasha asked to move away this week, and I decided to let her, but I found Savannah the Zebra on my seventh Mystery Island! Hooray!

Turnip Prices: 77-73/69-66/62-59/56-89/166-194/156-???

Turnip Pattern: Small Spike

Items Received:

Red Impish Wings [from Kicks]

DIY Recipes Received:

Bamboo Wand

Shell Bed

Sandy Beach Floor

Cherry Lamp

Purple Pansy Crown [from Fang]

Tree Branch Wreath [Message Bottle; from Paula]

Tall Garden Rack [Message Bottle; from Monique]

Shell Wreath [from Isabelle]

Kettle Bath [from Fang]

Wooden Toolbox [from Savannah]

Stacked Wooden Wallpaper [Message Bottle; from Teddy]

Weekly Visitors:

Monday: Labelle

Tuesday: Gullivarr

Wednesday: ???

Thursday: Gulliver

Friday: Kicks

Bugs Donated:

Drone Beetle

Firefly

Fish Donated:

Catfish

Ribbon Eel

WHALE SHARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closing Thoughts:

Jitters showed up at the Campsite yesterday. I did a quick about-face upon seeing him and ran away. 

Spoiler

Day 262: June 12, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

I'm slowly catching up with critters to catch.

Turnip Prices: 135-121/83-78/73-109/83-78

Pattern: Random [I think?]

DIY Recipes Received:

Western Style Stone [from Marina; ....I don't want to know why she was working on a literal tombstone...]

Wooden Low Table [Message Bottle; from Lucha]

Bamboo Drum [Message Bottle; from Billy]

Decoy Duck [from Julian]

Iron Closet [Message Bottle; from Renee]

Mermaid Screen [from Pascal]

Tropical Vista [Balloon Present]

Log Wall-Mounted Clock [Message Bottle; Al]

Ironwood Dresser [from Freya]

BIrdcage, Mossy Garden Rock, Gemini Closet, Shellfish Pochette, Windflower Fan, Hyacinth Lamp

Weekly Visitors:

Monday: Labelle

Tuesday: Leif

Wednesday: ???

Thursday: Redd

Friday: Flick

Mussel

Sea Grapes

Fish Donated:

Hammerhead Shark

Arowana

Tilpia

GREAT WHITE SHARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paintings Donated:

Scary Painting

Closing Thoughts:

I must not get distracted and remember the K.K. Concert tonight. 

Kura Reads and Watches for Pride Month

Spoiler

I decided to celebrate Pride Month by reading and watching the few LGBTQPIA+ books and shows I have. 

So far, I've read The Telling, CLAMP's RG Veda, The Left Hand of Darkness, Magnus Chase, Eight Days of Luke, and Wish, and I watched two Star Trek Deep Space Nine episodes, the Season 1 episode Dax, and the Season 4 episode Rejoined today. I might get to reading all of Cardcaptor Sakura, omnibus vol. 1-5 of Tsubasa and the same of XXXholic, as well as the Kyoshi novels and Good Omens, but I'll see how I do this coming week. At the very least I'll watch my favourite Steen Universe and She-Ra reboot episodes. 

Spoiler

Day 269: June 19, 2021

Opening Thoughts:

This week, I returned Cherry and Rosie's lost items. Hopefully I'll get their pictures at some point.

Turnip Prices: 83-79/75-71/68-63/60-57

Pattern: Decreasing

DIY Recipes Received:

Raccoon Figurine [Message Bottle; from Limberg; ah, the old Tanuki statue's been censored, I see]

Medium Cardboard Boxes [from Bob]

Cardboard Bed [Message Bottle; ???]

Weekly Visitors:

Monday: Kicks

Tuesday: Redd

Wednesday: Saharah

Thursday: Gulliver

Closing Thoughts:

Also this week, I met Hazel the Squirrel at the Campsite. She's okay. Not my favourite. 

That's all for today! See you next week. 

Archived