"I've never had acupuncture, and I'm not sure I'd want to." 

"I wonder, has Lin ever relaxed, ever?"

"Huh. So that's how she got that scar."

"How many people did they just kill?"

"Aww. Bolin wants to metalbend so much."

"So much for taking it easy."

"...It looks better when it's all bent and twisted?"

"Poor Mako's been having a lot of trouble with doors."

"Nothing beats throwing giant rocks at each other and then talking afterwards, I guess."

"Now how did Zaheer figure that out all of a sudden?"

Kura Reads: Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard

Spoiler

I was so excited about book 2, I read it in a few hours. It did not disappoint. 

Alex, as it turns out, is trans and gender-fluid, and Magnus is attracted to him-her regardless of pronouns. Speaking of pronouns, Alex and Magnus have a discussion about that, and Alex says that he-she prefers being able to change, that sticking to just one, or using they/them makes him-her feel trapped and stagnant. His-her and Magnus' budding romance is one of the best parts, but, honestly, there's a lot of really good parts in this book.

For starters, there's Magnus and Hearth going on a sidequest to save Blitz, which involves going to Alfheim and meeting Hearth's father, who is so...I'm not even sure how to describe him, but the fact that he's now on the tiny list of characters I feel next to no sympathy for, kind of sums it up. [There's only seven other characters on the list, if you're wondering.] Unfortunately, I've been in a similar situation to Hearth before--hoping that some miracle will happen, that your parent will change, that they will, for lack of a better term, get better and that everything will go back to 'normal'. But, Hearth had it even worse. To be forced to pay your parent back, an impossible amount of money, to 'pay' for not being able to prevent his brother's death, and being always treated a 'lesser' for being deaf, for not being his brother, all the while never giving up hope that his father might change. Gods. Hearth's joined Nico in needing a hug and a kitten. 

Also, I apologize in advance for the mood whiplash, but Legolas and Gimli have got nothing on Hearth and Blitz when it comes to chemistry, romantic or otherwise. I also forgot to mention yesterday that I totally figured out that Blitz and Hearth were unwillingly working for Mimir, and that Blitz was carrying Mimir's head around in a bag for awhile [long story].

So, the running joke continues--I knew Sif was Sif when she showed up, and also knew exactly how the big climactic scene with the fake wedding would go, right up until I didn't, when Alex pulled her shapeshifting trick, and then Loki escaped and is preparing to [presumably] bring about Ragnarok. 

So, yeah, things aren't looking too good for the heroes. But, Annabeth's arrived to bring Magnus up to speed in what happened in Heroes of Olympus, and to introduce him to Percy. Hopefully Percy won't steal Magnus' thunder, as it were. 

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

Kura Watches: Legend of Korra

Spoiler

On to episode 7 of season 3

"Tenzin, you're great at airbeinding, but not so great at lectures."

"...His name is Otaku? ...Uh..."

"If only Tenzin had listened to Aang when it came to having fun."

"No, no, you kids get back right now, this is going to lead to terrible trouble, I just know it."

"Awwwwwwww! Baby sky bison! Ahh, they're too cute!!!!!"

"Kai, didn't anyone ever teach you that a mother animal is one of the most dangerous creatures?"

"...Tenzin, he's just messing with you, or thinks that he knows what he's doing. Bumi #2 is the last person to be taken seriously."

"Don't fall off the mountain."

"Maybe they could concentrate more easily if you'd stop telling them to concentrate. Though the lemurs definitely aren't helping."

"Don't start quoting Wash! You'll make me sad."

"You tell him, Jinora!"

"...I never even considered the idea that there were poacher types in the Avatar world." 

"Alright. Korra, take down the Earth Queen. Eating her father's pet, eating baby sky bison...How dare she." 

"Time to rally together and beat up the poachers. But it just occurred to me. The leader's pelt...that's way too small to be from an adult..."

"I'm definitely not shaving my head. I like my hair how it is, thanks."

"Daww. The babies look so confused."

" 'I guess everyone's growing up.' ...Yeah...That's actually one of the things I like about Avatar. Unlike in most series, the characters are allowed to grow older, and it really gives them a great depth." 

Spoiler

There's so much going on in book 3, and I'm a little more than half way through [because I want to savour it, for one thing]. First of all, Percy trying to teach Magnus how boats work, and the lessons on diving into the ocean and not dying = hilarious. Also, who knew that Percy's sword, Rpitide, was female? I certainly didn't. Granted, I never thought about whether weapons have genders until Magnus' sword, Jack [did I mention he has a talking sword named Jack?] brought it up as a topic of discussion. So, the important thing is that Magnus likes the Sandman comics, and Alex likes anime, anime music, and The Left Hand of Darkness, which I haven't read in ages, and now really want to read again. [I think I should add a master list to the first post of the thread of books I've covered and books to read.]

Also, Alex gets an award for making what is pretty much a non-binary golem out of potter's clay, and using it to win a fight. [It totally makes sense in context.] Plus he-she joins Nico and Hearth in the 'appallingly sad backstory club'. I'm going to run out of kittens at this rate. 

On to ridiculous chapter titles, which I forgot to mention in my musings on book 2. So here's my favourites from book 2:

"Your Standard Rooftop Chase Scene with Talking Swords and Ninjas", "I Am Saved From Certain Death By Being Killed", "In Case of Demonic Possession, Please Follow Illuminated Signs To The Nearest Exit", "I'm Pretty Sure Hearth's Dad is A Cow-Abducting Alien", "You Keep Using The Word 'Help'--I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means", and "Squirrels in The Mirror May Be Closer Than They Appear".

and my favourites from book 3: "Falafal Sandwiches With A Side Order of Ragnarok", "Stupid Exploding Grandfathers", "We Are Ambushed By A Pile of Rocks", "Things Get Wyrd", and "I Become As Poetic As...A Poetic Person". 

[Yes, they all make perfect sense in context.] 

Speaking of Hearth, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I only know a few signs, and I haven't used most of them since I was very small [I didn't speak until I was around three or so, not that it matters]. So, yeah, the only signs I can remember are: 'milk', 'cat', 'dog', 'monkey', 'yes', 'no', 'stop', 'thank you', 'think', 'I love you', 'c', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 't', and 'cookie'. 

Speaking of sign language, I stopped right at the scene where Magnus, Blitz, and Hearth are having to confront Hearth's father, who's lost his mind and turned into a dragon, and although I saw it coming miles away thanks to knowing Sigurd's myth, the suspense is getting to me. 

On a final note, whomever did the cover art needs to make lessons from the lady who did the cover art for Heroes. If the guy in the background of book 2 and 3 didn't have scars on his face, I never would have figured out that he's supposed to be Loki. 

Spoiler

On to episode 8 of season 3.

"Asami, aren't you going to cheer for Korra? She's doing great at metalbending. ...Poor Bolin."

"Never take relationship advice from Mako or Varrick."

"Oh, no, oh, no, oh, no!"

"No! Don't hurt Naga!"

"Bolin, listen to Pabu! Ugh. I'm so sick of this cliche, where something dangerous is happening or about to happen, someone [usually a kid or pet] is trying to get someone else's attention, and they just get ignored or brushed off."

"Lavabending! Wow! So I guess each element kind of has two extra 'spin-off' elements, for lack of a better term. Fire has lightning and lava, then, and Water has ice and blood, and Earth has metal and sand. I guess Air doesn't really have anything else."

"Katara sure would be helpful right now. Speaking of Team Aang, what happened to Zuko and Korra's dad?"

"This kidnapping attempt was scarily well planned. But what does Zaheer want Korra for? If he wanted to kill her, he would have tried already."

"...Did Zaheer's group just vanish? Even with a smokescreen, they couldn't have flown away that fast."

"...........Ew......"

"Oh, look, a convenient secret passageway." 

"Woah, woah, woah. What? I'm totally lost. What's going on now? Su's adviser was the inside man? I...really didn't see that coming."

"Enough with the cliffhangers!" 

Spoiler

Boo woke me up early this morning, so I figured I might as well finish book 3. 

I thought I knew where the big showdown against Hearth's dragon-transformed father was going, but it was way worse than I assumed. Gods. 

Also, I claim the title 'Mythic Ace'. Sure, I didn't know that Frigg was Frigg, but only because she was disguised as mysterious old lady, and mysterious old lady + knitting needles = makes me think of Fates/Norns. So that doesn't count! 

Also also, if you saw an bright flashing lights, it was just me setting off celebratory silent fireworks, because Alex kisses Magnus twice, the first while female, and the second while male. They were both surprise kisses, unfortunately, but I'll give the first one a pass because both Alex and Magnus thought they were going to die, and their emotions were kind of all over the place. 

Also also also, the ending. It was close to perfect. Magnus used the power of friendship [literally] to win a duel of words against Loki. Magnus and Alex turned Magnus' uncle's old mansion into a shelter of sorts for homeless kids, Blitz opened up a clothing store, Hearth got to teach sign language, Sam is ready to get married, and everybody lived! I was actually worried that someone might die, but, [Luke notwithstanding] usually only minor characters tend to die in Rick Riordan's books. Usually. 

Anyway, here's the first first surprise: character art of all of Rick Riordan's series. Pretty much all of the characters look exactly like I imagine them, so much that I almost feel like trying to contact the artist to ask her to do artwork for me.

http://rickriordan.com/characters/

Tomorrow I'll reveal what I'll be reading next, so stay tuned. 

Spoiler

On to episode 9 of season 3

"Bolin, how do you not know what a wanted poster is?"

"You forgot polar bear dog treats? Korra, how could you? Ha ha. Tail in the face."

"Disguises? ...Oh, Bolin. Why did you make the ponchos banana yellow? Actually, I don't want to know."

"Oooh, another Korra--Asami bonding moment, figuring out stuff together!"

"That spirit reminds me too much of Noh-Face."

"No one's considered the fact that Su's ex-adviser might be leading them to Zaheer on purpose. ...I'm just too genre savvy, alright!"

"Worst movie poster ever."

"A Pai Sho-down. Sheesh."

"The rulebook makes it sound like a multi-cultural board game version of Calvinball."

"Even Pabu's getting tired of it."

"Oh, so he wasn't leading them there on purpose. Nevermind, then."

Zaheer just....gods. That's horrible."

"Is there a Black Lotus order, too?"

"Well, that's a really creepy thing to find out about Korra's uncle in retrospect."

" 'Water-arm lady and lava guy'. I approve of these new nicknames."

"I get the feeling that Zaheer's version of balance and Korra's version of balance are two completely different things."

"Wait, what?"

"Why isn't that super-hot water boiling him?"

"Korra should just stay as far away from Bah Sing Se as possible at this point. It's been nothing but trouble."

Kura Reads: Twilight

Spoiler

Surprise! Did I fool you? 😛😛😛

[It was the only joke I could think of. Tomorrow I'll reveal what I'm actually reading next.] 

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Korra spoilers:

Spoiler

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to wear bright yellow ponchos as part of their "disguises"? That's just going to make them stand out and look more suspicious. Plus, it didn't even work to hide their identity, because two people were able to recognize Bolin quite easily.

I wonder what the spirits think of humans using the Fog of Lost Souls as a kind of spiritual trashcan.

Twilight spoilers:

Spoiler

I admit, I actually fell for it, even if it was just for a second before realizing it was a joke. 😅 But during that small time, I was thinking 'What?? Kura, are you trying to punish yourself?'

Spoiler

On to episode 10 of season 3

"Bolin casually chatting up the villains. Oh, so do they like each other? Hehe."

"Good going, Asami. Would the guard have gone through with her request if she was male, though... Why am I wondering that?"

"Smooth talking, Zaheer. He could give Amon a run for his money. ...Where did that expression come from, anyway?"

"Well, the Earth Queen certainly knows how to talk like a villain."

"Hopefully Asami knows how to fly an airship she's never been on before."

"...So now they're stuck in the middle of the desert. Hmm, seems like this has happened before."

"Yes, fixing the ship, very good idea."

"Time for Bolin to be a hero. ...Or not."

"Oh, yeah, Lin's still here. I forgot about her. Ahh! Naga jump scare! Aww. Naga's happy to see Lin. Pabu, too!"

"What the flippity flip was that?!"

"Smart thinking, making a raft."

"Yeah, not a good idea to antagonize the lady who can shoot fire out of her forehead."

"Oh, gods. I was expecting Zaheer to assassinate her, but not like that."

"Well, that's ominous as heck."

"That was too close."

"Oh, hey, Zuko's dragon. Since you survived after all, you get to be nicknamed Fang #2. Where've you been?" 

"...So...now what?"

Kura Reads: Eight Days of Luke

Spoiler

This is one of my favourite Diana Wynne Jones' books. Since I have Norse myths on the mind, I thought it would be perfect. But, it is very short, so I'm going to do things a little differently. I'm going to read two chapters a day, for a week, since the story takes place over one week. The days won't sync up at all, but that's okay. 

In chapter 1, we get to meet protagonist David, and his awful, awful family. Well, Astrid's not awful, but she takes awhile to get rid of her snobbishness, half the book, in fact. What makes them so awful is that they constantly are after David to be grateful to them, they either never listen to what he has to say, or simply assume that his opinions don't matter and then proceed to twist whatever he says into sounding like he's insulting them. All three traits work well, but what really makes them excellent antagonists is the fact that other than that, they are, more or less, ordinary people. 

Chapter 2 continues in the vein of establishing how jerk-ish they are and how thoroughly miserable David is. Then, just when the readers might get a bit tired of it, David unintentionally makes the wall in the back garden fall down while trying to curse [that is, cause magical harm, not swearing] and things get very weird indeed.

According to an interview, Diana [I never know what to call authors by their first names or last names or full names or what] once lived with a family that was near identical, so she wrote the whole experience into this book. Minus the accidental summoning of Loki, that is, but more on that tomorrow.

Spoiler

On to episode 11 of season 3.

"Great attempt at optimism, Bolin."

"A blunt yes. Good for you, Mako."

"Even with all that's going on, their grandmother still grabs the portrait of the queen. That's...really sad."

"Airships would make perfect rescue vessels."

"Don't land on Fang #2! Sheesh. Asami should've given you guys some lessons."

"Poor Pabu looks so confused."

"Yay! The team's back together again!"

"Zuko's the master of being comically stoic."

" 'You're very muscular, for a woman.' Ouch."

"Don't be too confident, Su."

"Iroh's back! Hooray! Now tell him all about meeting Zuko. ...'a little rocky'? Understatement of the century, Iroh."

"Wait, daughter? Oh, right, Iroh #2's mother, maybe."

"I like how Zuko treats Korra as her own person." 

"...Meelo, just go away already." 

"Oh, no. Oh, no. Oh, no."

"You can't take them all on at once!"

"Tenzin VS Zaheer definitely wins the 'most epic fight of season 3' award."

"Pulling on his hair and biting him. Yep, that's a Bumi #2 strategy."

"How are they not dead? Or at least have severely broken bones? ...I should have stopped wondering that while watching Avatar."

"What a convenient tree."

Spoiler

In chapter 3, we get to meet Loki, alias Luke, released from imprisonment by David's summoning. He helps David fend off the [slightly terrifying] snakes that come with him, and then rebuild the damaged wall. Luke is definitely the most interesting depiction of Loki I've ever seen. [Read?] It's never quite clear whether he really is as cheerful and carefree as he seems, or whether it's all just a mask. Though I suppose anyone would be happy at being released from a prison of sorts after who knows how many years. David doesn't believe a word of what Luke says, but knowing what I know about Loki, there arises some changes from the original myths. For instance, Loki's wife, Sigyn, is nowhere to be found [although a Sigyn-like girl shows up near the end of the book], meaning that Luke/Loki would have been completely alone. He makes joking references to being chained, and having to hold up a bowl to keep snake venom out of his eyes, so the gruesome bindings of the myths are now chains, thank goodness. 

In chapter 4, David is ranted at by his relatives for messing things up, but Then Luke apparently decided to help out by burning the lunch that the [terrible] cook, Mrs. Thrisk, made. Later on, David and Luke have a bonding moment in the safety of David's room, chitchatting/complaining about David's relatives while Luke continues to make comments about his imprisonment. I guess smacking supernatural snakes around and rebuilding walls is perfect for forging friendship. 

Spoiler

On to episode 12 of season 3.

"...Brilliant plan, Bolin."

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one?"

"It's good that Zaheer's being smart about all this, but not so good for Korra."

"Daww. Pabu and Naga playing tug of war! 'Bad dog and rat thingy!' You're no fun."

"Somehow, I doubt that this plan will work."

"Kissy kissy."

"Nothing like a father-daughter bonding moment when the fate of a whole new nation is at stake."

"Poor Tenzin."

"I knew it was a trick. But, it was pretty obvious."

"Go Lin! Be epic!"

"Well, that's one way to escape. Just bust the wall down."

"It just dawned on me that this isn't just some temple being destroyed. This is Aang's home."

"Don't worry, Korra. It's common knowledge that characters in stories who fall off of cliffs have a 90% survival rate."

"Huh, so he really does care."

"What the heck? How did he learn to fly?"

"...Since when could Bolin lavabend? Where are all these deus ex machina abilities coming from?"

"Oh, hey, Kai. I wondered where you went."

"...It's...all gone..."

"Oh, for Raava's sake, listen to Kai already!"

"Aww. Oogi's back."

"Wait. Kuvira? Isn't she the villain of season 4?"

"What is it with earthly desires being seen as wrong?"

"Wait, she's dead? ...I sure wasn't expecting that."

"Hello. My name is Avatar Korra. You killed my father! Prepare to die! ...Sorry, I couldn't resist."

"So Zaheer didn't seem to want to kill Korra, but now he's going to poison her? I don't get it."

Spoiler

In chapter 5, Astrid takes David out shopping, and Luke tags along, using flattery and subtle persuasions to get Astrid to buy the clothes that David actually wants. Luke deflects any and all of Astrid's questions in a joking manner, and, perhaps in a nod to one infamous myth, shows off his voracious appetite. Afterwards, David makes a rash wish for something exciting to happen, and Luke magically causes a fire in an office building nearby. The intriguing thing is that neither David nor the readers 'see' Luke do anything--one moment the building is fine, the next, flames are billowing out of every window. Luke's expression and the way he acts during that scene, the way he smiles and describes it as 'beautiful', as if he truly wants to see the whole world burn, is incredibly disturbing. The fact that he started the fire simply because he thought David wanted him to, and thought it would make David happy, is also rather 'eyebrow-raising'. It's also only when David reminds Luke that 'the dead can't come back' that Luke stops, and the two ladies who nearly died are rescued. 

In chapter 6, David gets to meet Mr. Chew, and despite reading this book many, many times, I've never been sure who he's supposed to be. The only Norse deity I can think of who could qualify is Tyr, but while Mr. Chew certainly fits in the physical strength category, he has both hands, so I don't know. I also find it hard to imagine Tyr as a gardener, but that's beside the point. Despite Mr. Chew clearly being sent to intimidate David, the latter displays considerable bravery in refusing to tell him where Luke is. David and Luke reconvene and Luke, as usual, deflects any personal questions with forceful cheerfulness, and David never does get an answer as to how long Luke was imprisoned, nor how old he actually is. 

Spoiler

On to episode 13 of season 3.

"...Zaheer wants to end the Avatar cycle completely? I really didn't guess that."

"I get his ideas, but that's not how to go about bringing equality or balance to anything."

"Gods, that's horrifying." 

"How are you so confident, Su?"

"Poison-driven hallucinations, then cut to Meelo complaining about needing to pee. Mood whiplash much?"

"Bolin! Don't just shove Su off to the side! Sheesh." 

"I feel like I should be cheering, but this is terrifying. Even Aang speaking with the voices of all the Avatars during the final battle against Ozai wasn't as scary."

"How can you ask if he's okay when he's clearly not? Or is it just one of those things that people say, like 'how are you?' or 'nice weather'."

"Oh, so I guess lavabending is a variant of earthbending, not fire like I assumed."

"It just dawned on me--Korra's in the Avatar State, but it's not all the Avatars working together in one body like it usually is. Right now, it's just her [and Raava], alone. Somehow, that might just be the most heartbreaking thing about this season."

"Wow, water-arm lady is almost as scary as Eska with all these jump scares."

"...Did...Mako...just...kill her...with...lightningbending...?"

"How is Korra not dead just from the fall? ...I really need to stop wondering that."

"Don't just splatter the poison on the ground! Someone could step in it!"

"She looks so empty..."

"Aww, Lin's concerned about Korra."

"Oh, hey, Zuko."

"She nearly died, and now you're effectively blaming her for not healing in a few weeks? Gods."

"Oh, Jinora. Your grandpa would be so proud. Plus you look good with no hair." 

Spoiler

Not too much of note happens in chapter 7, aside from David and Luke playing cricket with some of the neighbourhood boys, and Luke being completely...for lack of a better term, fixated on David, to the point where he, Luke, barely seems aware of the other boys' existence. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, and maybe that's the point? I don't know. Then Astrid starts to take David's side for once, and all the others turn on her, but she remains David's ally despite this, Later on David does some trickery of sorts to try to get past Mr. Chew, but it doesn't end up working. 

In chapter 8, David meets Odin, alias Mr. Wedding, who invites David out for lunch and then tries to bargain with him to get information on where Luke is, but David, who is used to being mistreated and pushed around by people, manages to beat Mr. Wedding at his own game, and refuses to tell him anything. It says a lot to what his relatives are like that they don't give a thought to David being taken by a perfect stranger out to who-knows-where, especially an obviously wealthy stranger. I do like that Slepnir is a fancy limousine driven by a valkyrie; it's a nice touch. 

Spoiler
22 hours ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

"Oh, so I guess lavabending is a variant of earthbending, not fire like I assumed."

Yeah, I remember being confused by that as well at first.

Really, it's never a good idea to just throw poison on the ground so carelessly.

Spoiler

On to episode 1 of season 4.

"Nice that Korra gets her own statue now."

"Three years may have passed, but unfortunately Meelo's still the same."

"Wow, what a creep."

"WOW, WHAT A CREEP." 

"Just back away slowly, Asami."

"Mako to the rescue?"

"Aha. Classic Lin."

"I want a gliding suit, too!"

"Trains! Yes!"

"Oh, Kuvira again. Varrick, too. He hasn't changed, either."

"Kuvira, you're incredible! But why are you [eventually] the villain? Now I really want to find out."

"Wow, she's ruthless."

"They're throwing pies?! ...Wu's that pathetic of a leader that they couldn't even be bothered to get actual assassins? That's...actually hilarious."

"Team Avatar seems to have split up."

"Aww, Pabu's with the air-kids now."

"I kind of get what Kuvira's doing, but I also kind of don't."

"Wait, wait, Korra's...gone off alone? Without Naga? It must be serious."

"She can barely even bend now. Poor Korra."

Spoiler

In chapter 9, Odin proposes a contest of sorts with David, to see if David can keep Luke safe for a a few days, after which, if successful, Luke will be free forever. If not, Luke has to go back to his prison indefinitely. Soon after, Mr. Chew and Mrs. Thrisk do battle, though exactly over what I've never been entirely sure. Whatever happened, neither of them want to stay while the other is there, so Mr. Chew ends up going off, presumably to report back to Odin. The description of Mrs. Thrisk coming at him with a gardening fork never fails to make me laugh. 

In chapter 10, David manages to trick Odin's ravens in a very clever way [maybe hanging out with Luke is rubbing off on him?], and he and Luke and Astrid go out for the day and have fun, finally. In the process, David revises his opinion of Astrid, and the latter wistfully says that she wish she could just leave and never see the other awful relations again. I've certainly felt like that, though not in the same circumstances. Then we get to meet Thor, who doesn't have an alias, but the way he acts in a joking, friendly manner around Luke makes it clear who he is. Thor hints that Odin and the rest are looking for something important, and that they all think Luke has it. Even when reading this for the first time, it took me a bit to figure out that it was Thor's hammer. 

Spoiler

On to episode 2 of season 3.

"What the flip? A dark Korra? But no one else can see it..."

"Isolating herself from everyone...that's so sad."

"Nice to see Katara again, even if only in a flashback."

"So many letters."

"Bolin, trying to sound super well-read, complete with silly drawings. Yay for comic relief." 

"Yay. Naga's going to help. Go Korra! ...But...why is she all alone now? It seemed like she was getting better, so what happened?"

"Korra is so used to looking after everyone, now she can barely take care of herself."

"Oh, Aang. Still the same silly kid."

" 'You're sure she's the Avatar?' Sheesh. After all she's done, people still don't accept her."

"Travelling the whole world all by herself. Wow."

"Whatever this dark Korra is, it's creepy as heck."

"Maybe her mind is making it real...?"

"Now I'm starting to wonder what's real and what's not."

"TOPH!!!!!! Oh, Toph. I was hoping so much that you would show up, and now, here you are, just the same as ever."

Spoiler

In chapter eleven, we get to meet Frey and Freya, alias Mr. and Ms. Fry. Through a bit of trickery from Odin and a misunderstanding from Astrid, Luke is caught, and everyone gangs up on him. The situation is so similar to David's that Astrid actually points it out. One of the most intriguing things about this chapter is what Luke says, or rather, implies, about the death of Balder. "It was a mistake, an accident! I meant it as a joke! I didn't think for a moment it would actually kill him." Considering that this is Loki talking, I'm not sure whether to believe him or not, and neither does anyone else save David, who takes Luke's side. Just when it seems like there is nothing that can be done and Luke will have to be imprisoned again, David steps in and makes a deal with Odin, that he will find the missing item, despite not knowing what it is or where it is, by the end of the week. 

In chapter 12, with a little help from Odin's raven, David, Luke, and Astrid are lead to the apartment of Alan, David's cricket friend. Things, naturally, get quite weird [wyrd?], and I don't think it's so much that the great World Tree and the three Norns just so happen to be in a broom closet in Alan's basement, rather that David was lead there, whether by fate or something else, and the closet door is more a conduit. Regardless, it's never explained, but that's one of Diana Wynne Jones' signature things--putting all the pieces in, then letting the readers work things out. What I think she excels most at, though, is foreshadowing. Every time I read one of her books, I find little details that I never noticed before, that change how I see the story and the characters. For instance, one of the Norns says to David, 'Go in peace, but don't think the rest of your life's going to be easy. You'll see a face tomorrow that you won't forget in a hurry." At first that seemed just a random prediction, but now, remembering what happens at the end, it's chilling. 

Then, at long last, Astrid [thanks to Luke] suggests that the apartment would be a nice place, and asks David to come and live with her there, to escape the awful relatives, and he happily agrees. But first, there's a few trials to overcome, in the last two chapters...

Spoiler

On to episode 3 of season 4.

"I certainly sympathize with Mako at the moment."

"Toph...has a very good point. I'm not sure that becoming a hermit is the solution to Korra's problems, though."

"Where were you two seasons ago, Toph? Oh, right. Being a hermit."

"Creepy twins! Aaaah!"

"Just...stop. Bolin, can't you see how unhealthy this whole thing is? Why is this portrayed in a humourous way? I don't understand it at all."

"Varrick, Varrick, Varrick."

"Oh, so Kuvira is going to be Su's daughter-in-law."

"Ugh. Wu, go away."

"Well, that's ominous."

" 'You're blind compared to me.' Ahahaha. Oh, Toph."

"No one looks like they want to be there."

"Kuvira's certainly ambitious..."

"Bolin's kind of making sense. This must be serious."

"I'm suddenly imagining Bah Sing Se under Kuvira's control, with the Dai Li. Yikes."

"Shopping? What are you, Wu, a stereotypical teenager? Oh, wait."

"...Lin and Su never really picked up metalbending? ...Sure, Toph."

"Nothing like running away from an angry mob to liven things up."

"Huh. I never considered that Korra was, intentionally or not, keeping the poison inside of her."

"Really, Meelo? Really?"

"Kuvira and Varrick working together? Oh, the horror."

Spoiler

In chapter 13, David, Luke, and Astrid seek out the dragon-tattooed man, who, according to the Norns, knows where the missing item is. Unfortunately for the trio, David's awful cousin Ronald insists on coming, David meets the man at the fairground, and he turns out to be, of course, Sigurd [or Siegfried, depending on which version of the myth you read]. After an ordeal where cousin Ronald complains and generally acts pathetic, Sigurd tells David where the missing item is, with some reluctance, as it clearly brings back unpleasant memories. Odin shows up and has a short chat with Sigurd, and over all, the things that Sigurd and Odin say are semi-veiled references to things that happen in Sigurd's myth, especially concerning Brunhilda. 

In the fourteenth and final chapter, Thor escorts the trio to a hospital, which may be like the door in Alan's basement--a conduit to the 'real' place, in this case, a hill with a ring of fire on top. Luke puts himself at great risk to keep David safe while the latter ventures into the fire, and it is there that David finds Brunhilda, so filled with sorrow that she chose to sleep, presumably forever, or at least until the fire burns itself up, which, as Luke hints, could take aeons. David retrieves Thor's hammer and escapes the flames, whereupon he discovers that two whole days have passed, but Luke kept him safe throughout. Odin arrives again and explains Sigurd and Brunhilda's story, and then departs with Thor. Also, it turns out that Mr. Chew is Tyr after all, which I missed on my last readings, but I'm still confused about why he isn't missing a hand. Maybe the gods haven't got around to binding Fenrir yet? *shrug*

Meanwhile, Astrid tells David the happy news--their awful relations ran away, and she is now free to adopt David and take him to live at Alan's apartment. Despite this, the story closes on a somber note--first with David finally knowing who Luke is, and that the possibility of Ragnarok is rekindled now that Thor has his hammer back; and secondly with what Astrid says at the very end, echoing what the Norn said earlier: 'Wouldn't you say it was worth it, to be really happy for awhile, even if you knew that you were going to end up sad ever after?" David does not know, and he might never know. It's somewhat implied that Luke might be living with them, or at least stay in touch, so all in all, it's a bittersweet ending to a fantastic book. 

Tomorrow i'll start reading the first book of the Kane Chronicles [which arrived days and days ago, but I forgot to mention.] I'm quite looking forward to it. 

Spoiler

On to episode four of season four.

" *grumble grumble* Meelo."

"Off they go, to hopefully find Korra in the middle of a swamp in the middle of nowhere."

"...Jinora probably could have gone by herself."

"...He actually drew that? Wow."

"Hmm...Kuvira's face on posters everywhere. Seems familiar."

"Ugh. Meelo, just go away."

" 'I threw some rocks at the Avatar, he got all whiny, and Sokka fell in a hole.' Oh, Toph!"

"MEELO, JUST GO AWAY!" 

"Iki summed my feelings up very nicely by screaming in frustration."

"Daaw. A little bush baby flying lemur thing!"

"Poor Korra."

"Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew."

"Reminds me of the Buddhist proverb, where two monks are walking along, and find a young lady at the side of a muddy road. One of the monks asks if she needs help, and he carries her across without getting her kimono dirty. Then, hours later, the younger monk asks 'why did you do that? You violated our oaths!' The older monk smiles and says, 'I set her down. You are the one who is still carrying her.' "

"Listen to Toph. Balance is key."

"I guess the swamp has other ideas."

"Anytime you want to get connect to your past lives again, Korra. ...Anytime now. No? Okay, then."

"No, Toph, don't like Meelo. He's a terror."

"Hooray for Korra!"

"Oh, I guess Toph's not going with them. Well, it was really nice seeing her again, at least."

Kura Reads: The Kane Chronicles

Spoiler

I enjoyed the first book, The Red Pyramid, so much that I read it in just a few hours. The trend of ridiculous chapter titles continues. Here's my favourites:

'Breakfast With A Crocodile', 'Muffin Plays With Knives", 'We Meet The Human Flamethrower', 'I Face The Killer Turkey', 'Aunt Kitty To the Rescue', 'We Win An All-Expenses Paid Trip To Death', and 'A Date With The God of Toilet Paper'.

Also, Bastet is epic epic epic epic and Anubis, too. 😍😍😍

I got really tired of how in the other books, the Greek, Roman, and Norse gods tended to be whittled down to just one character trait [except Hestia/Vesta, Hermes/Mercury and Loki and...that's about it], and usually an annoying character trait, at that, but luckily the Egyptian gods have escaped that fate [well, except for Thoth, but...] and are more like primordial forces of nature. None of them actually have animal heads, which is kind of disappointing, because that's one of my favourite parts, but oh, well. 

On a side note, it's nice to have a pantheon where most of the gods aren't jerks.

Carter and Sadie make great protagonists/narrators, both equally distinct from Percy, the rest of the Heroes, and Magnus. 

I'm eagerly looking forward to book 2 tomorrow. 

Spoiler

Meelo is one of those characters that I just have to ask: 'Why do you exist?'

Spoiler

On to episode 5 of season 4.

"I'd really rather not poke holes in the animation, but...those tanks look like they drove out of a playstation game. Hand-drawn animation and CGI don't mix well, unfortunately."

"So what's Kuvira's plan here? I'm confused."

".............................................................Meelo, go away."

"Hey, Julee [or Zhuli or however her name's spelled] isn't fat!"

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow! ...Funny thing about that. The Doctor only says that once or twice in the whole Classic series."

"I knew this would go horribly, horribly wrong."

"Well, that's awkward."

"Finally Varrick's talking sense. ...oh, no, we're doomed!"

"Huh, I never would have thought Varrick had a conscience."

"Oh, Asami, good to see you. YES YES YES FINALLY A CHARACTER WHO WANTS TO BREAK OFF ALL CONTACT WITH A TOXIC FAMILY MEMBER! ...Sorry for shouting. Now, when Korra gets back, tell her how much you missed her, and ask for a kiss. Ready...set...go! ...Anytime now."

"Don't trust her, Bolin!"

"Both sides have a point. I like it."

"Scary Kuvira."

"Aww. Korra's growing up."

" 'Kuvira's crazy!' ...What tipped you off? The giant army?"

"Giant mechas! Heck yeah! Giant mecha battle! Even better!"

" 'That's not the flamethrower! What idiot designed these things?! "You did, sir!" Ahahaha. Varrick and Julee, the classic comedy duo."

"That was close. For a second I thought Bolin actually killed them."

"Ugh. So much for what I said earlier. I get the sentiment, but Asami, too many people are hurt when they try to let toxic family members back into their lives."

"Reeducation camp, huh. That sounds...like something else."

"Julee's bluffing just to get close and then mess up Kuvira's plans, right? ...Right?"

Spoiler

I managed to read book two, The Throne of Fire, in just a few hours, too. Here's my next set of favourite silly chapter titles:

"We Tame A Seven-Thousand Pound Hummingbird", 'A Birthday invitation to Armageddon', 'A Gift From The Dog-Headed Boy', 'We Get A Vertically-Challenged Tour of Russia', and 'The Revenge of Bullwinkle The Moose God'. 

This book, unfortunately, really feels more like a bridge between the first one and the last one, but the journey with Ra through the Houses of Night more than makes up for it. [Funny thing, I watched Overly Sarcastic Productions' video on the Houses of Night just last night.] 

I have a complaint to make about Set. He's not specifically the god of evil, more the god of destruction/chaos/ectc. It will be interesting to see if he does team up with Carter and Sadie for the final battle in the next book, though. 

As for characters i dislike, well...Bes is admittedly marginally much more useful than Couch Hedge from Heroes, but I still don't like either of them. 

Also, Bastet, Walt, and by extension Anubis, join the 'kitten and hug' club. Except that Bastet is already very technically a kitten...

Spoiler

On to episode 6 of season 4.

"This is all going to go terribly, terribly wrong, I just know it."

"Shouldn't they be wearing blue instead of black?"

"See, I told you it was a trap."

"Urgh. Meelo, go away."

"You want action, Meelo? Here, I'll go throw you in a lake."

"I seriously doubt that even being a forced labourer will diminish Varrick's ego in any way." 

"Poor Bolin."

"Equality, huh? Amon tried that three season ago; it didn't work out well for him."

"Kuvira has a plan to counter the Avatar State, I assume."

"How is she so quick? Toph should've taught you how to feel vibrations, Korra."

"Bolin says it like it is."

"Korra can't even land one hit on her. I don't get it."

"Ooh, Varrick's got a master plan."

" 'He Varrick-ed himself because some girl Julee-ed him!' I can only imagine how bizarre that must look to anyone not familiar with Avatar, or Varrick's cloudcuckoolander-ness."

"Okay, maybe she doesn't."

"Don't make Korra mad, or she'll throw a boulder the size of a spaceship at you."

"What the flip?"

"Really, Meelo? Really?"

"I don't even want to know what a sewer pipe elephant rat is."

"So now what?"

"Julee's got a plan, right? Oh, wait, I said that already." 

Spoiler

I decided to stop halfway through Book 3, The Serpent's Shadow, but so far it's awesome. I think one of Rick Riordan's greatest strengths might be pacing and tight goals, which sounds simple, except I can't count the number of books that just dragged on and on, or had unclear, confusing goals that negated any sense of progression, or both. He's also very good at raising the stakes, but also making it personal, instead of falling into the trap of 'oh, no, the world's going to end...who cares?' In this case, the stakes matter mainly because the characters dear to Carter and Sadie are in near constant danger, and that, in a nutshell, is their world. Far too often, stories will have massive, massive stakes, not just one world, but several, or even the whole universe, or even, in some cases, multiple universes, but it never seems like it matters because the characters aren't developed enough, so the audience more often than not, doesn't care. 

Also, Sadie and Walt/Anubis make such a cute couple, oh my gods. Nico and Will might have some competition. 😍

Favourite chapter titles so far:

'We Win A Box Full of Nothing', 'A Dance With Death', 'Amos Plays With Action Figures', and 'Take Your Daughter To Work Day Goes Horribly Wrong'. 

Speaking of Amos, he might just win the 'best uncle ever' award. I highly appreciate his fashion sense and hairstyle. The more braids, the better. 

Also also, I figured out the big 'plot twist' about Walt and Anubis in the first chapter of Book 2, and how Ra will get his soul back at the start of Book 3. It's a bit frustrating seeing all the other characters being completely clueless about both, though I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to see if the latter actually works. 

Spoiler

On to episode 7 of season four.

"Awwwwww. Pabu and Naga are too cute. I've been missing them both; they need to join the action."

"Meelo, go away. [Am I going to say this every episode?]"

"Poor Julee. The heroic long suffering minder of a semi-genius, manipulative cloudcuckoolander."

"Finally. It's very cathartic to see Bolin stand up to Varrick." 

"Both of you should have studied the Theory of Narrative Comedy."

"Now's your chance to ask for a kiss, Asami! Go go go! ...Oh, come on. Well, a dinner date is good, I guess."

"Ugh. Wu, go away. This is Korra and Asami's date you're ruining! How dare you! Oh, I guess Mako's there, too. But he doesn't matter!"

"Nooooooo! Don't fight!"

"Ow. Double ow. Triple ow."

"Ooh! A car chase! Go Asami!"

"Yes, Mako, you're being very helpful. *sarcasm*"

"Yay! Bolin gets stuff to do, finally!"

"I hope this conversation means that Toph will show up again."

"Ahahaha. Varrick saluting the guard and making the guard do a double take at the wanted poster. Brilliant."

"Go Bolin! ...Big help you are, Varrick. ...Oh. Nevermind, then."

"Korra, you show 'em who's boss!"

"That's right! Korra's Asami's girl, and don't you forget it, Wu!"

"He's allergic to drowning? ...Right."

"Oh, that's not good."

Spoiler

Well, I was totally right about Walt/Anubis and Zia being the host of Ra, though not about how Ra would get his soul back. Close enough? 

Seriously, though, what a fantastic finale. I also forgot to mention, that my copies of all three books have bonus short stories where Carter and Sadie team up with Percy and Annabeth. It's now making me wonder if there will be a future grand ending sort of series, featuring all the heroes working together. 

Favourite chapter titles:

'Bulls With Freaking Laser Beams', 'I Become A Purple Chimpanzee', 'Death Boy To The Rescue', and 'Welcome To The Fun House of Death'. 

Also, whomever did the cover art obviously didn't read the book. Apophis is red, not blue. 

I'm not sure what to read next, though The Left Hand of Darkness is certainly a good option. 

Spoiler

On to episode 8 of season four.

"...This isn't going to be a clip episode...is it?"

"Complaining that you were 'born weak'. That's just messed up, Wu."

"...Yep, it's a clip show. Well, I was worried there for a while, that I wouldn't have anything to put on my 'least favourite Korra episode' in the--oops, I almost spoiler-ed the surprises coming this Sunday!"

"Wu, go away."

"Booooring. Get to the exciting parts, Mako!"

"Wu, go away. How dare you support surprise kisses."

"Oh, no, everyone's turning into chibis! ...Why couldn't the whole episode be chibis? That's be way more fun than a clip episode."

"...You thought...Korra, who has lived in a cold climate her entire life, and isn't even wearing sleeves...might be....cold... Sure, Asami, sure. Now ask for a kiss!"

"As you know, this stuff happened and it was terrible. I got it the first time it happened! Still seven minutes to go. Ugh."

"Oh, don't show all the past Avatars disappearing! I barely recovered from that!"

"Where's Lin, anyway? She hasn't shown up all season. I want her to come back and be snarky at people."

"Oh, no, not more of Varrick's ridiculous movies."

"Just....stop! What is this, the Ember Island Players?!"

"No, don't turn it into a musical! Anything but that!"

"...Okay, that bit with the villains did make me laugh. They all should get awards for saying those lines without losing focus."

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no." *flings Eska into space*

"Varrick, have you been watching Ranma 1/2?"

"More villain phone shenanigans. Great. Ahahaha. No one likes Korra's uncle." 

"Blah blah blah planets aligning something something magic techno babble Jinora fairy queen--wait, what?"

"...Well, that was a painful experience. I'm now more than ready for Toph to show up and trash talk Kuvira. If that doesn't happen, I'll be very annoyed."

Kura Reads: Sword and Sorceress X, XI, and XII

Spoiler

I couldn't figure out what to read today, so I just pulled out my copies of Sword and Sorceress, of Marion Zimmer Bradley fame, and picked out my favourites. I didn't read anything else, so I'm not sure what else to put here. 😅

Spoiler

On to episode 9 of season four.

"Oh, hey, it's that guy."

"Haha, he has flashcards. Reminds me of that one Twelfth Doctor episode."

"Hello? A person's life is in danger, his own fault admittedly, but...you're all just going to stand around and watch? What is wrong with you people?"

"Wasn't everything wrong already?"

"Wu, go away." 

"Or, how's this for a brilliant plan? We go get Toph. Though...convincing her to join in might be the hardest part."

"Tenzin's expression! He's as tired of Wu as I am."

"We're doomed, I tell you!"

"Wait, Izumi? You're Iroh #2's mother, aren't you? What took you so long to show up? Nice glasses."

"Oh, there you are, Lin. You and your snarkiness have been solely missed this season."

"Yay, Team Korra's back together!"

"Jinora, what're you doing there all by yourself? Silly girl. Now you're caught."

"Yikes. Like pitcher plants, but with people."

"What the flip?" 

"Yay! Pabu's back! Aww, having him deliver a little message. That's cute."

"Bolin. If you weren't a main character, I'd fling you into space too, for that. Lying to Opal like that, that's just manipulative." 

"Good for you, Opal. Not resorting to bending to make your point, just using words. Really good."

"Pabu gets all the steam buns."

"Did you study under my sensei, Asami? Wow."

"Er...this is just going to be a Kung Fu Panda situation, isn't it?"

"Good luck, Korra." 

"Zaheer really seems to have no remorse at all. Double yikes."

" 'I've come this far, what have I got to lose?' Uh...the whole world?"

"Nice to see you again, Raava."

"Erm. Sorry, Korra, but the phrase, 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' is totally false."

Kura Reads: Cat's Eye Corner

Spoiler

This was one of my favourite books as a child. My mum used to read it to me. What makes it stand out among other stories...well, the clever wordplay and tight plotting, and intriguing characters, mainly. It's a hidden gem, for sure, and by a Canadian author, so that's even better. 

Spoiler
On 4/14/2020 at 3:33 PM, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

"Er...this is just going to be a Kung Fu Panda situation, isn't it?"

Thankfully, not this time.

Spoiler

On to episode 10 of season four.

"Yes! Toph's back! Well, technically she didn't go anywhere."

"Haha. Bolin's so excited."

"I'm with Toph on this one. Ew."

"No, no, no, no, and no. What is it with these politicians who think that using dangerous things is super alright? Ugh."

"Oh, my goddess, there's just no respect for Korra anywhere."

"Wu, go away. Er. Wait, what? He...actually had a good idea. ...We're all doomed."

"Wow, what a creep."

"Lin still wants her mother's approval. I certainly know how that feels."

"Ha! I was right. I just hope Kuvira doesn't catch on."

"Hehe. Toph can be snarky, but Lin can be snarky right back. Like daughter like mother."

"Lin's expression!!!!"

"Is...that cup ramen he's eating?"

"You act like you don't care about anything, Toph, but you do, and it hurts you, and that's why you try not to."

"That was too close."

"My thoughts exactly."

"Aww. Opal's dad is afraid of heights."

"Oh, that's not good. Poor Julee."

"Well, that didn't work. What's Korra going to do now?"

"No! Don't try to fight Kurvira! She's the main antagonist, that means she automatically has plot armour!"

"Wow...that was a pretty incredible display of tandem earthbending."

"YEAH! Toph, you rule. I proclaim you universal earthbending master."

" 'My fighting days are over.' She says, after single-handedly taking down most of Kuvira's forces. What that actually means is, she's too ridiculously powerful."

"Only two weeks? Plenty of time!" 

After reading so many books one after the other, I feel like taking a bit of a break. I might plan for a Discworld marathon at some point, so I'll rest up for that. 

Spoiler

Wow, Wu was actually making sense for once... and then he had to immediately go and ruin it. Just go away, Wu.

Spoiler

On to episode 11 of season four.

"As you know...propaganda exposition."

"Yep, he's going to die."

"Now apologize for taking Julee for granted so much, Varrick!"

"No, you're not the one who needs to apologize, Julee." *sigh*

"Oh, finally she's standing up for herself."

"...That's....a really unusual speech, that's for sure."

"Oh, don't say that. His ego will end up like Varrick's."

"Meelo, go away."

"Hmm. This scene seems rather familiar. Where have I seen something like this before...oh, yeah, Star Wars."

"Masking the awkward CGI by using darkness and silhouettes. Good thinking."

"Wow. That's...impressive. Metalbending taken to its logical extreme. It kind of reminds me of one of the Evas from Neon Genesis Evangelion. ...I'm just full of comparisons today."

"Oh, good, Iroh #2's coming."

"Sure would've been nice for Toph to stick around."

"Wait, his name is Raiko? ...Nah, it's too easy to insert a silly Pokemon joke."

"Meelo, go away."

"Don't start gloating. That's just asking for your plan to fail."

"No, don't blame yourself, Su."

"Wait, wait, wait, she's not going to..."

"Kuvira's giving Zaheer a run for his money when it comes to being unsettling. Sheesh."

Spoiler

On to episode 12 of season four.

"Wow, almost at the end. What a journey this has been."

"Very impressive, Bolin. But, of course everyone survives, because they're the heroes. Well, most of them."

"Oh, there you are, Lin. Good to see you."

"Ugh, don't remind me, Pema."

"Wait, what?"

"This is not going to work."

"Oh, now I see what they're doing. Still won't work." 

"Go, Bolin!"

"See, I told you."

"How are they all not dead? Wait, silly question. They all have plot armour."

"Time for another Varrick tangent. Okay, I guess not. Wait, circus people? I get the feeling there's a very interesting story behind that."

"Oh, hey, Asami's dad. Have I ever mentioned that he looks like Hayao Miyazaki?"

"Badger moles? In a big damn heroes moment? Sure, why not." [Have I ever actually explained where the 'big damn heroes moment' phrase comes from?]

"Digga tunnel dig-dig a tunnel..."

"Even Kuvira wants Meelo to go away."

"That didn't slow it down at all. There's not going to be much of the city left at this rate."

"Ha. The soldiers can't stand Wu, either."

"Daaaaaaawwww. That's so sweet. Really brave, Varrick. Now ask Julee for a kiss! Or you could both meet in the middle. That works, too."

"Go, Korra! Yeah!"

"...I wasn't expecting that. Poor Asami."

"Well, now what? Only one episode left to wrap the entire series up."

Spoiler

On 4/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

"Oh, hey, Asami's dad. Have I ever mentioned that he looks like Hayao Miyazaki?"

Oh wow! He really does!

"Badger moles? In a big damn heroes moment? Sure, why not." [Have I ever actually explained where the 'big damn heroes moment' phrase comes from?]

Nope.

"Digga tunnel dig-dig a tunnel..."

I know there's no way he'd actually be singing this, but it's still hilarious to imagine.

Spoiler

"Here we are, at the end."

"Them fightn' words, Korra!"

"Well, that's not good. I bet 1,000 gold coins that the mecha is going to explode at some point."

"Very creative use of lavabending, Bolin."

"Go, Lin! I've missed your awesome-ness all season!"

"Oh, gods, that would be so terrifying."

"How are they not dead? ...Nevermind. I've asked that way too many times already."

"Time for the big showdown!"

"Ow. Poor Korra."

"Wow. I hope I'm not impertinent to say that Mako, the real Mako, would be proud."

"...Someone owes me 1,000 gold coins."

"Good for you, Korra, saving Kuvira."

"Double ow." 

"Kuvira looks a lot better with her hair undone."

"...So...how much of the city is left?"

"HOLY FREAKING SUN MOTHER OF CATS! Korra, you're too awesome for words!"

"Looks like a DNA coil. I guess that does make sense, since it is spirit energy."

"Um, because she's the Avatar, Kuvira. Haven't you been paying any attention?"

"Group hug! Except Meelo. You're not invited. I said, you're not invited! Go away!"

"Aww, Julee looks even lovelier than before!"

"Daaaaaawwwww! Pabu! Too cute!'

"Good thinking, Wu, for once." 

"A nice heart-to-heart. Um. I'm not sure that's how exactly suffering works, Korra..."

"Wow, Asami's gorgeous in that dress. Ask for a kiss! Ask for a kiss! Come on! Please? ...A hug is...good...I guess...and a date in the spirit world? Sure, why not."

"Hey, I recognize this theme. Isn't this 'Avatar's Love', that plays at the end of Avatar? If not, it's really similar. It's one of my favourite themes from either series." ❤️

"A happy ending for everyone, but a bittersweet ending for me. So many feelings."

Tomorrow I'll take a break and reveal the surprises, and then on Monday, watch the Steven Universe movie. Fun times!

Kura Reads: Seraphina

Spoiler

I've read this book several times, and quite enjoyed it. Since it is handily split into four sections, with roughly one hundred pages for each, I'm going to be covering each section a day. The story begins with meeting heroine Seraphina, a secret half dragon girl in a semi-medieval world where dragons are seen as strange, alien creatures at best and monsters at worst. Her only love is music, something that her father forbid her, as her dragon mother also loved music. Her only ally is her uncle Orma, a full dragon, but his difficulty in understanding humans, shared amongst most dragons, makes him tricky to deal with. The story explains various human-dragon political dramas, backdropped by the suspicious death of a member of the royal family right when the dragon leader is due to arrive for peace negotiations. Seraphina has inherited some of her mother's memories, along with a mental connection to people she once thought were simple imaginings, but right at the part I left off, she discovers them to be half dragons like her, and vows to find them all. [A task which is the main plot of the sequel, Shadow Scale, which I will also be covering here.] 

Time to talk about the dragon in the room, as it were--coding the dragons as emotionless beings who find humans irrational and fairly incomprehensible. If that sounds like nearly every depiction of robots, androids [except Aigis, she's the best], and several alien races in sci-fi...well...yeah...it's kind of a problem. 

The good news is that Seraphina's world evades the common pitfall of the 'planet of the hats' cliche, by [mostly] making each fantasy culture unique and [mostly] not a representation of real world cultures. Key phrase here being mostly. But I'll get to that later, once the first few of Seraphina's 'kin' show up. 

The phrase 'big damn heroes moment' comes from an iconic scene from the Firefly series, where River, resident psychic and incredibly mentally unstable girl, and her big brother, resident ship doctor, Simon, are stuck in a...what's a polite way of saying it...uh...traditional...town....the kind of traditional where the townsfolk decide that burning River alive is the best way to treat psychics [or, in this case, 'witches']. In one of his best moments, Simon climbs onto the pyre, takes River's hand, and says, 'Light it.' Then the rest of the Firefly crew arrive, and capt. Mal says, We got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?" First Mate Zoe replies with glee: 'Big damn heroes, sir!"

Here's the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYeqDD96gLg

At long last, the surprises will be revealed!

#1: Villain Awards! [Major spoilers for many series ahead.] 

I had this idea ages and ages ago. Just a fun little thing to do. 

The categories:

A) Books

B) Manga

C) Anime

D) Animated Shows

E) Animated Films

F) Live Action Films

G) Live Action Shows

H) Video Games

The nominees: 

A) Jonathan Teatime, the Auditors [Hogfather; Discworld], Ursula [The Ocean At The End of The Lane], Jack Frost [The Graveyard Book], Islington [Neverwhere] 

B) The Oraginzation [Claymore], Fei Won Reed [Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle], Naraku [Inuyasha], Taishakuten [RG Veda] 

C) Vamdemon [Digimon Adventure], The D-Reaper [Digimon Tamers]

D) Fire Lord Ozai, Azula [Avatar], Amon [Legend of Korra], Toffee [Star VS The Forces of Evil], White Diamond [Steven Universe] 

E) Scar [The Lion King], Tai Lung [Kung Fu Panda] 

F) ....Uh...I'll cheat and say Sauron and Saruman, I guess? I barely have any live action films. 

G) The Master, The Cybermen [Doctor Who], The Borg [Star Trek], Gul Dukat [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine]

H) Cyrus [Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum], Ghetis [Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2], Darkrai [Pokemon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky], Kefka [Final Fantasy Vi], Prf. Hojo, Jenova, and Sephiroth [Final Fantasy VII], Kuja [Final Fantasy IX], Takaya [Persona 3/PSP], The True Killer [Persona 4/Golden]  

I'm really not sure how to pick a winner, to be honest, and as time goes on, I'll probably find other worthy villains to add. At least these get nominations. 

#2: Avatar--Korra Rankings!

Favourite Plot Point: The whole concept of the Avatar in general is so fascinating

Favourite Episode: Oh, it's so hard to choose. I guess as to which episode particularly affected me, I'd say season 1 finale, Siege of the North, tied with Toph's debut episode, The Blind Bandit 

Favourite Characters: All of Team Avatar, plus Iroh, Avatar Kyoshi, and Avatar Roku

Favourite Running Joke: Cabbage Man

Favourite Theme: Avatar State, Avatar's Love 

Korra: 

Favourite Plot Point: The progression of culture, technology, and attitudes towards both the Avatar and bending as a whole 

Favourite Episode: Avatar Wan's episodes, the Beginnings two-parter 

Favourite Characters: Korra, Asami, and Avatar Wan

Favourite Running Joke: Pabu being silly

Favourite Theme: Avatar State Korra edition, Greatest Change 

Least Favourite Plot Point: Spirit bending Lion Turtle ex machina 

Least Favourite Episode: The Ember island Players and the beach episode

Least Favourite Characters: Mai [in season 3]

Least Favourite Running Joke: Uh...I don't actually know

Korra: 

Least Favourite Plot Point: Vaatu's entire existence, along with all the past Avatars never coming back

Least Favourite Episode: The clip episode

Least Favourite Characters: ...Take a guess

Least Favourite Running Joke: An over-reliance on toilet humour 

#3...well...I was going to make an Avatar--Korra painting, but I never got around to it. Sorry.

Spoiler

When reading a relatively long book like this, I tend to make a list of things to comment on. Today, my list looked especially odd.

First, the origins of Seraphina's name: from the Seraphim angels, lit. 'burning ones', traditionally depicted as giant flaming wings.

Second, Seraphina's world does not seem to have any particular deity, and while there are churches and cathedrals all over the place, they mainly seem to be for the exaltation and praise of the saints. Seraphina was assigned two saints a birth, a particularly graphic one, a young lady with her severed head on a plate, and the other, a heretic, according to Seraphina's book on saints. All the saints will be examined in much more detail in the next book, but I wanted to point that out. Speaking of which, I also wanted to mention something rather peculiar. Two of the saints are offhandedly mentioned to be a gay couple, not in those exact words, of course, but the fact that gay people in her world seemed to be especially looked down upon by nobility and anyone who's not poor, it leaves me wondering why they were allowed to be saints and not deemed non-canon. 

Anyway, back to the events of the second section, which brings some new plot points forward along with continuing some of the ones already established. Seraphina meets two half dragons, Dame Okra, who proves to be incredibly bitter and nasty sort, and Lars, who proves to be an unexpected ally and will eventually be one of her closest friends. Later on Orma receives a message that his father, the vile General imlann, is disguised, somewhere in the city, and displays a lot of emotion for someone supposedly emotionless, which leads me to the next topic. From little bits of information provided by Seraphina, it seems more like dragons aren't emotionless by choice, but forced to by ancient societal standards, fear of the dreaded Dragon Censors, who can remove memories, as well as a desire, possibly innate, possibly not, to make everything orderly. I can understand that particular wish for stability, safety, in what may seem to be a chaotic, disastrous world. 

After all that excitement, Seraphina leaves the city with captain of the guard and future love interest, Kiggs, to interview some old knights who may have seen Imlann in action. Every time I read this book, I always forget what Kiggs is like aside from the fact that he's philosophical. He just doesn't stand out enough, I guess, though being mostly absent for the second book certainly doesn't help. 

The surprises were fun! Thanks for that!

Unfortunately, I can't offer much help in picking a winner for the Villain Awards. 😅

13 hours ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

...Take a guess

Someone who is also the biggest source of all the toilet humour. Oh, wait, that was rhetorical.

Kura Watches: Steven Universe Movie 

Spoiler

"Well, this is going to be a big trip full of feelings. Maybe I should have rewatched seasons 1-5 first. Oh, well."

"A musical movie! Even better! Not surprising, though, considering how much music is a part of Steven Universe as a whole."

"Creative opening credits."

"Oh, great, some exposition in case people haven't watched season 1-5. I do like the storybook aesthetic, though."

"Ahaha. White was narrating all along. Brilliant." 

"Wow, Steven, your voice has certainly changed."

"Diamond harmonies, alright!"

"Oh, dear. I'm going to be singing along any moment now. 'Just let us adore you...' Um, you're not helping your case, White."

"Oh, nice to see Connie again. ...She just kissed...Uh. Steven and I had the exact same expression. Yeaaaaaaaaaah!" 

"Oh, yes, oh, yes, oh, yes! Time to sing Happily Ever After! Wow, this is a really nice montage."

"Steven leaping out of Lars' head like that made me burst out laughing."

"Aaawww! the Off Colours are all here!"

"Bismuth and Peridot and Lapis, too! Hooray!"

"That was awesome, and the movie's barely started."

"Enter Spinel. That's a...really different character design. Why does her ship look like an hourglass?" 

"Oh, time for Other Friends. It's way too catchy. What the flippity flip? Spinel, how are you extending your limbs like that? WHAT?! SHE HAS A SCYTHE?!" 

"They...just...got...bisected...Holy mother of llama gods." [Yes, that's a reference to Arceus, if you're wondering.] 

"Uh, oh. How's Steven going to fix this? It's like he's glitching. Greg, don't swear! Well, I guess he kind of stopped before the last letter." 

"For inconvenience, press 99." 

"Like Aphrodite." 

"No one remembers anything. Wonder how long this'll last."

"Daaw. Little Amethyst is so cute. Aha. She's copying Pearl. Oh, now she's copying everyone." 

"So Spinel's regressed too. Oh, it's 'Spin-el', not 'Spine-el' as I assumed."

"Even Lion's confused."

" "I touched it! I could have lost all my character development!" Peridot, you're wonderful."

"Spinel, I can't tell if you're adorable or creepy. Or both."

"Oh, finally Bismuth gets a song, sort of."

" 'A giant pizza cutter?!' Oh, Steven."

"Now I know what Spinel reminds me of: old Looney Toons animation."

"There's nothing more romantic than a trippy musical number."

"...Does Lion regularly ride on Greg's van?"

"Oh. Um. I'm getting the feeling that Pink might have told Spinel that she'd be right back. Oh, dear."

"Spinel looks so fascinated by Steven's antics." 

"RONALDO GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...Ahem. Sorry about that."

"Yay! Amethyst's back!"

"Apparently Spinel can teleport?"

"Oh, yeah, the concert. I forgot that was going on."

"Amethyst, don't YOU DARE! Oh, Greg thinks it's a good idea? ...Okay, then."

"Well, that didn't work. Time for Independent Together! Heh. Even their guitars fused. 'Nothing...is holding me back now...' Oh, I get it. It's an air guitar, literally."

"Oh, hey, Opal!"

"Yikes. Steven doesn't look so good."

"Everything changes, Steven."

"Time for Drift Away. I particularly like Caleb Hyles' cover. He made it so haunting. Oh, gods. Spinel was waiting for thousands of years. I didn't make the connection until now. Oh, gods."

"Huh. When Spinel's regressed, her gem is right side up, but when she's after Steven, it turns upside down. Interesting. Wow, she really looks like a harlequin puppet now."

"Oh, Connie's back from space camp. I hope Stevonnie will make an appearance."

" ''Well, sort of.' Steven, you just ruined everything." 

"True Kind Love, yeah! Oh, Garnet gets a new outfit, too."

"Ouch. Good thing Spinel's so flexible."

"Holy fusions! Alexandrite! And Connie to the rescue!"

"Poor Steven."

"Um, no, Spinel, he didn't start by dangling thousands of feet in the air. He started by thinking that ice cream would unlock his powers, see, and...nevermind, it's a long story."

"The power of friendship, of course! Oh, change. That works, too. What can't change can't grow. What can't grow can't live."

"Rather ironic that Pink's shield is the perfect defense against Spinel."

"Wow. That actually worked. ...That's what I just said, Connie."

"Well, who else has a giant ship like that?"

"You're one to talk, White."

" 'Mom left her on a floating garden in space.' Well done, Steven. Well done."

" 'Just let us adore you...' Great idea, but what if the Diamonds eventually get bored of Spinel, and don't want her anymore?"

"No Stevonnie. Boo." 

"Happily ever after...until the last season." 

"This might just be one of the best movies I've ever seen. Sure, it requires watching season 1-5 first, but that's what makes it so good--it builds on what came before."

Tomorrow I'll start watching Future, provided I can find it on Youtube, but I'm not sure whether to watch two episodes a day or not. I don't want it to end. But, neither does Steven, and I get the feeling that'll have consequences for him. 

Spoiler

Compared to yesterday's peculiar notes of 'Seraphim angels', 'dragon emotions', and 'gay saints', today's were just 'knights interviewed; racism against dragons', 'Imlann appears, Seraphina bluffs him', 'more romantic conflict', and 'Abdo appears'. 

So, yeah. The implications of dragon racism are explored in more detail during the scenes with the knights, but it's not until the second book that it's really turned on its head. After interviewing the knights, Seraphina and Kiggs are on the road back when Imlann appears as if out of nowhere, but Seraphina claims to have an explosive device in her head and to give himself up to the dragon authorities, and it works and he leaves, but then Orma shows up late and inadvertently creates a lot of tension and misunderstandings. Later on, Orma has to flee the Censors, and while fleeing a mob, Seraphina accidentally saves the dragon leader from an assassination attempt. Then Abdo, who is probably my favourite character, is finally introduced. He's such a sweetheart. The climax is ahead, along with the reveal of Imlann's disguise. In retrospect, it's really obvious, but I only figured it out a few pages before the reveal on my first reading. 

Archived