mintteaa

Why don't you stop trying to "call" it one kind of friendship or another? You obviously have deep feelings for each other, even love but not necessarily romantic. Take it a step at a time and you will know when one or the other oversteps the mark. The main thing is to enjoy each other's company and be happy.

• 4 weeks later...
ThatLonelyBookworm
On 3/12/2020 at 6:54 PM, mintteaa said:

So my allo friend and I tried a romantic relationship and it fell apart ultimately because I started questioning whether I really wanted a romance or more of a QPR. And she got scared of getting hurt (largely because of her own past experiences with relationships), and broke up with me. But we stayed friends. The break up was around a month ago. And in the time since, I went through a separate personal issue so I only recently started actively trying to get over her. And I couldn't get past the idea that maybe we could make something work. So I texted her and we had a mature discussion that maybe we'll try something but we still both have to think about it. 

I know that's not a very good overview of who we are or the situation. But what do y'all think about attempting a "we're pretty certain this is temporary - friends with emotional intimacy and cuddling benefits and if I want to explore sexual things, I can" type of relationship? Does that sound like an awful idea?

Had one of these, it was long distance so it wasn't optimal, lasted for about 7 months and just ended a couple months ago. Kinda still sad cause if we lived closer it might've worked out longer but in my head it was always going to be temporary. Go for it, that's my advice. Yeah, it was a little messed up cause he ended up catching feelings for me and I tried lowering my boundaries to make him happier but he just couldn't get over it. We'd call ourselves "friends with cuddling benefits" or "friends with benefits" to scare relatives and we did have a very strong emotional bond at the beginning, but it slowly deteriorated. I don't think that's the fault of what we tried to do, though. It was more personal differences and we just couldn't really hit the stride after a while. 

Feel free to ask me any questions about it if u want :) 

Archived