Ace discovery stories

Drwho314

I really want to remember where I first read about asexuality, but I can't. I do, however, remember that it was (and still is) my favorite of all the sexual-orientation terms I read about. (I wasn't 100% sure about my being ace until ~2-3 years later because I thought that statistics wouldn't have it, but that's another story.) I always knew that I don't have romantic attraction toward others in addition to not having sexual attraction, but I didn't know that there is a commonly-recognized (in the ace community, anyway) demarcation between sexual and romantic orientations and a set of terms for each. In short, I knew that I was aro for longer than I knew there is a term for no romantic attraction.

The first place I should have heard about it is actually Bojack, which I watched, but it never clicked until I heard a couple of aces discussing their feelings during a Pride month event.

19 minutes ago, cAROlyn said:

I knew that I was aro for longer than I knew there is a term for no romantic attraction.

I knew in my early 20s I had no interest in having a girlfriend even though I had female friends. Long before I had heard of asexuality (or aromanticism)...

On 3/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, will123 said:

Up to that point I thought I was straight, but not doing a very good job of it.

This made me laugh! I felt exactly the same way before I realized 😂

3 minutes ago, Dayton159 said:

This made me laugh! I felt exactly the same way before I realized 😂

I've said it all along since I discovered asexuality. Glad to make you smile, my job is done LOL

paninispades

Up until about eight-ish months ago I thought sexual attraction was liking people in general. More of an "oh this person is nice" and nothing to do with y'know. I honestly thought that sexual attraction had nothing to do with sex which was stupid because sex is literally IN THE NAME. I took so many online quizzes but ignored all of them until I actually found out what sexual attraction actually was and surprise! It was about sex. Honestly I don't quite remember how I found out that well. I think I was on AVEN. I realized that I have no interest in sex and that all my "crushes" were actually squishes. It also helped me understand why I felt that sex ed didn't apply to me at all and why I felt different from my  horny classmates that were chanting sperm. Ever since I found the label asexual, I have told quite a few people including my sister and most of my friends, but not my parents. So yeah:)

I read a book in Year 7 where the main character turned out to be asexual and I had absolutely no idea what it was until she explained it, and all I remember thinking was 'thank god, no more make-out scenes'

in hindsight, that might have been a clue as to hello PERHAPS i too am asexual (grey-ace? idk) , but it was a few years later and a slow realization of 'oh ppl actually think about these things and don't just do it bc having a bf/gf/partner is 'cool' 

Minty greens

I figured it out when I thought I was Pansexual and was doing something sexual with a friend and just felt revolted by the action, not the person. Suddenly it all just clicked.

I think the first sign I had was probably my first girlfriend, who was also my best friend. She went to grab my hand for the first time, but I was holding a bag that had a doughnut in it, I didn't really care for her hand since it felt almost sexual, just because of the vibes she was giving off. I would not let go of that bag, she had to take it from my hand. About thirty seconds after grabbing my hand, she tries to kiss me on the lips. Me being taller, just stood up straight and leaned back as far as I could. 
A couple years later I had my first kiss, which quickly turned into making out. What was I thinking about you probably didn't ask? "I wish I had a doughnut right now" that and a couple songs, like self soothing. After I cried for a bit once I was alone, and realized I was Ace, but it took another sexual encounter for me to believe that I'm ace and sex-repulsed. 

Archived