Coronavirus outbreak

Bruce Wayne

Just now, daveb said:

Crap

Unfortunately, not surprising. And some people think there's no difference between the 2 parties.

Not as big a difference as I would like, but I really can't understand why people still vote for the Republicans when they regularly do things like this. Freedom, I guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't have too much faith there (at least in the short term)

Most of the proposals I've seen so far seem to be geared towards business owners (either in the form of tax relief or low-interest loans)

I mean, for one - a low interest loan isn't gonna help our service economy - the problem is a lack of demand. Being able to borrow money isn't gonna help your restaurant if there are no customers.

It's also not going to help those most financially at risk (paycheck to paycheck workers and people in similar situations)

The only thing there I've heard that seems to have a chance of passing right now is a temporary payroll tax decrease - and I really don't think a bit of taxes are going to make a big difference for those people 😕 (Who generally have low tax rates anyway - and are far more threatened by losing their job)

As much as I have mixed feelings about Germany's short term work benefits response - it seems far more likely to help people keep their job throughout all of this, which seems far more important for long-term financial stability.

I find it funny we still have places where you will lose your job if you take time off for being sick... 

"You have flu like symptoms? I DON'T CARE. COME TO WORK AND INFECT US ALL WITH CORONA OR YOU'RE FIRED!" 

And then ... "OMG WHY IS IT SPREADING WHY CAN'T WE STOP IT" ... well, duh? 

paralibrarian

I am worried that our trip to France in June, which is all booked and mostly paid for, will have to be cancelled. I can't even say "postponed" because my daughter is starting college in fall and who know when she'll be able to go again aside from maybe next summer. This was supposed to be her high school graduation celebration. That's my selfish take. 

I agree with all those saying it's going to hit hardest the people who can't afford to take time off or lose their jobs. I'm one of those for sure. I can sense library closures looming and I don't know what I'll do at that point. 

We have around 500 people that have it now. 

And the goverment yesterday said that gatherings wiyh more then 500 people are banned for now. 

But if you are sick you will get payed from day one now and if i get it right you will not need a doctors note to stay home for more then a week. Just to keep people home if they are sick.

4 hours ago, Nuit_38 said:

I'm from Serbia. You?

AAAAAAAAA!!!

ISTOOOOOOOOO!!!

Real Estate RICO

It's pretty telling when a sports shitposter like UrinatingTree can deliver a more reassuring speech on COVID than Trump could.

Luftschlosseule

Yesterday I realised that I am in the risk group because chronically ill. Yay me.

I want to shut myself in for two weeks but that is more about sky-rocketing stress levels because of too much to do and too little time.

Events with more than 1000 people there have been cancelled, and people are stocking up on soap as if they only had realised two weeks ago that such a thing exists. Which, euw.

So far we had a mail from the director of university telling us that atm, everything will continue as planned and please follow the official guidelines for hygiene. I have an exam in two weeks and classes are supposed to resume in the second week of april. We're on between-terms break now, and I guess we'll see what happens.

Ms. Carolynne
8 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Not as big a difference as I would like, but I really can't understand why people still vote for the Republicans when they regularly do things like this. Freedom, I guess.

"Freedom"

In Russia, so far at the stage of prevention and prevention, we have seen a couple of cases of infection. 
Oil sales to China fell due to the virus, which affected the dollar and gasoline prices. Dollar appreciation hit the pockets of Russians, because most of the goods are of good quality from abroad, so I'm not happy about such developments at all.
Massive crowds of people have been banned, several sports events have been cancelled.

7 hours ago, paralibrarian said:

I am worried that our trip to France in June, which is all booked and mostly paid for, will have to be cancelled. I can't even say "postponed" because my daughter is starting college in fall and who know when she'll be able to go again aside from maybe next summer. This was supposed to be her high school graduation celebration. That's my selfish take. 

I agree with all those saying it's going to hit hardest the people who can't afford to take time off or lose their jobs. I'm one of those for sure. I can sense library closures looming and I don't know what I'll do at that point. 

If you get Covid in France at least your medical bill will be lighter than in US.

Joke aside, I feel sorry for all the people who don't have strong social security. I feel lucky here to get some income even when I can't go to work.

I hope that at least you will be able to make something out of this lost time. Here I saw on tv some quarantined people cleaning and renovating their house.

My colleague was supposed to be going to New York this month for a training seminar. That's been totally scuppered now that Trump has banned all Europeans from traveling to the United States.

paralibrarian

After thinking some more about this last night, with regard to my own situation (I DO think about other aspects of it too, but just following up what I said here yesterday), I have not actually heard of any cities closing libraries. Of course Italy is totally shut down, so that's a given there. Maybe New Rochelle here in the states. Otherwise I'll just wait and see. 

p.s. New Rochelle, the site of perhaps the worst outbreak so far here in the US, has NOT closed their libraries as far as I can tell. So that's reassuring.

paralibrarian

The symposium I was going to attend tomorrow has been cancelled, even though they kept saying they were going ahead with it and just encouraging everyone to not shake hands and use hand sanitizer. Damn it.

Bruce Wayne

Czech Republic has declared state of emergency. For 30 days, I will not go to uni, none of us students will. People can't attend any events with 30+ people, and libraries, cinemas, theatres, schools and universities are completely shut down.

I'm in the US, so it's not really so bad, but I just found out there's a confirmed case in my county - which is a WAY smaller area, so that's hella local. I'm mildly concerned.

We're going to rapidly learn how many jobs and courses can be done remotely.

18 hours ago, Serran said:

I find it funny we still have places where you will lose your job if you take time off for being sick... 

"You have flu like symptoms? I DON'T CARE. COME TO WORK AND INFECT US ALL WITH CORONA OR YOU'RE FIRED!" 

And then ... "OMG WHY IS IT SPREADING WHY CAN'T WE STOP IT" ... well, duh? 

If I had a boss that made me go to work when I was sick I'd be so tempted to sneeze on their desk when they weren't looking, because I'm just petty like that.

The company I work at is telling people not to travel, and some of their events are being cancelled.

1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

We're going to rapidly learn how many jobs and courses can be done remotely.

Right? This is all beyond strange...

I am from Massachusetts but go to college in New York (not in the city though). My college is closing indefinitely, like most in the state, and they are sending us home and switching to online classes indefinitely. The high school I went to in MA just closed due to a suspected case, so I'm about to head home to that. 

I don't think we need to panic as much as we are, but I understand that these are really the only steps the school can do at the moment to respond to the panic. 

14 hours ago, paralibrarian said:

After thinking some more about this last night, with regard to my own situation (I DO think about other aspects of it too, but just following up what I said here yesterday), I have not actually heard of any cities closing libraries.

Seattle just closed its libraries for a month :(

https://www.spl.org/about-us/the-organization/leadership/a-message-from-the-chief-librarian

Lord Jade Cross
8 hours ago, Gloomy said:

If I had a boss that made me go to work when I was sick I'd be so tempted to sneeze on their desk when they weren't looking, because I'm just petty like that.

My friend, you would have HATED each and every one of my bosses then

Given that the Easter holidays are imminent, I can see logic in extending them for, say a week, giving a three week closure whilst only losing one week of lessons. 

Just now, Skycaptain said:

Given that the Easter holidays are imminent, I can see logic in extending them for, say a week, giving a three week closure whilst only losing one week of lessons. 

It’s been said that it’ll be an extra two weeks if they do shut

coronavirus schools closed easter

2 minutes ago, Christmace_liv said:

It’s been said that it’ll be an extra two weeks if they do shut

coronavirus schools closed easter

Exactly, maximum gain for least disruption 

I don’t see the difference for kids in schools being closed because they still are planning to meet up with each other, or at least at my school. Smaller crowd I guess

Bruce Wayne

I hope the outbreak won't have a huge effect on the movie business. Unfortunately, Disney postponed the release of The New Mutants, the movie I was looking forward to so much. I still can't get over it... 😢 These times we're living in are so weird. 

And our cinema is completely closed. I understand it. But... it effects our daily lives like nothing else. It makes me sad.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:52 PM, Skycaptain said:

@Christmace_liv, don't worry about that. I've made many jokes about it. I was just pointing out that "it's not really affected us in the UK" is not an accurate statement 

Premier League matches cancelled until APril - now it's getting serious.
The store I work in is out of toilet rolls, hand sanitisers, some handwash, bleach and disinfectant wipes - and pasta. Some tinned veg are low too; and s soon as we get fresh stocks in, it's gone in a very short time. The people who are hardest hit are those on limited incomes, who can't bulk buy, and tose who can't get to the supermarket easily; if they arrive to do their shopping when we've sold out, no point in telling them there's a delivery due tonight (or whenever)

I have a friend who's unable to get to a store and has her shopping delivered; this costs of course and she can't afford to have more than one delivery a month - she's affected by the limit on quantities that can be bought at one time - the online shopping people don't seem able to realise that multiple quantities are essential for some people

Archived