Panic buying in the UK (and rest of the world!)

Chloe88

The grocery store  wasn't too bad. Non-perishable foods were kinda gone, obviously toilet paper, eggs, milk, etc, but everything else was OK. My dad and stepmom were in line for over 2 hours at Costco early this morning, some of this behavior is still insane.

I bought a small convection heater from Argos today (great moment for the boiler to stop working again) and was surprised how seriously people are taking the whole 6ft distance thing now. People were standing in sort of a chessboard pattern around the counter and I struggled to find out who is waiting for what and when it could be my turn.

Just as I had thought that would happen.... the below picture from a newspaper (if real) wouldn't be surprising. I've seen brocolli heads in a bin I jogged past which were turning golden, and there were several packs of sealed coleslaw plus a sealed pack of carrot sticks. All thrown away.

It is said that the standard habit was for people to throw 30% of all food before this crisis and I think that figure would probably double. 

I find this terribly sad.

NINTCHDBPICT000573834763.jpg?w=620

@Chloe88, I think that's a staged picture. The bananas are still green, and the wheelie bin they're using is a different design to the others in the photos.

Panic buying seems to have eased now. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8170843/March-busiest-shopping-month-UK-supermarkets-record-20-6-cent.html

The Office of National Statistics has published some interesting figures. A £2 billion increase in sales in the four weeks upto lockdown. The week the pubs shut retail alcohol sales up 67%

Archived