Next Step Ace Content

Skipper Valvoline

Skipper Valvoline

Hey guys. So, I've noticed on YouTube that when you type in 'asexuality' you get a bunch of education videos. Which is GREAT. It's awesome we have so many resources now explaining what asexuality is for people questioning their own orientation and/or wanting to learn more about something they'd not heard of before.

But for our aces who have already walked that journey and know what asexuality is (and all the variations regarding romantic orientation, gray/demi, etc.) what kind of ace content would you like to see? What would be the next tier up from educational asexuality videos?

Ace humor and puns. There aren't many and they're pretty shallow or in-jokes, but weird funny shit ace people get into. Videos of the AVEN meetups or something. 

3 hours ago, sallimae76 said:

An acceptance of celibacy. The normalizing of adult virginity. Elderly virgins. I know they are out there. Google tells me I am half of 1 percent.

This. Also I think ace humor and just ace pride in general. 

everywhere and nowhere
8 hours ago, sallimae76 said:

An acceptance of celibacy. The normalizing of adult virginity. Elderly virgins. I know they are out there. Google tells me I am half of 1 percent.

That's it. I repeatedly say: we need more than just asexual visibility, we need to make celibacy and sexual non-desire acceptable for everyone. No exceptions for asexuals. Asexuality should never become the only acceptable reason for not having sex.

Janus the Fox

Content has come a long way in the last 5 or so years, I'd like to see more in terms of 'it is normal, not a condition or health concern'.  I do wonder if maybe somewhere, this new YouTube content is used in a classroom setting.

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Content has come a long way in the last 5 or so years, I'd like to see more in terms of 'it is normal, not a condition or health concern'.  I do wonder if maybe somewhere, this new YouTube content is used in a classroom setting.

And I kinda envy people who are able to learn about non-straight sexualities at school. Here Catholic fundamentalists are trying to ban all sex education at schools and the most insidious thing is how this language creeps into our subconsciousness, while the first thing to do should be exactly to counter their linguistic manipulations - to say out front that sex ed is not "sexualisation of children", that it doesn't condone "sexual experimentation" in childhood, nor does it lead to early sexual initiation - on the contrary, a lot of teenagers who have been offered good, competent sex ed feel more empowered to say "No".

WanderingKate
On 3/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

Asexuality should never become the only acceptable reason for not having sex.

So true. People who are not asexual but do not want to engage in sex for whatever reason are absolutely just as valid in their celibacy as those of us who don't experience sexual desire. I do wish celibacy was normalized, many sexuals go years without sex for their own personal reasons, or conversely never have sex and remain virgins, and there should be no shame in that. 

AceMissBehaving
On 3/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

That's it. I repeatedly say: we need more than just asexual visibility, we need to make celibacy and sexual non-desire acceptable for everyone. No exceptions for asexuals. Asexuality should never become the only acceptable reason for not having sex.

I 100% agree

• 3 weeks later...
deletingthisaccount
On 3/4/2020 at 10:05 PM, SithEmpress said:

Ace humor and puns. There aren't many and they're pretty shallow or in-jokes, but weird funny shit ace people get into. Videos of the AVEN meetups or something. 

I agree. I think videos that are educational, but also feature fun stuff, like Incredibly Ace Moments or something. More people will watch our content if it's entertaining!

Has anybody also noticed you get a lot of videos related to asexuality that also have blocked comments? The better viewed ones, anyway. It's kind of disheartening. 

everywhere and nowhere
50 minutes ago, SassPass said:

Has anybody also noticed you get a lot of videos related to asexuality that also have blocked comments? The better viewed ones, anyway. It's kind of disheartening. 

It's a pity, but not very surprising. Some people are incredibly bigoted, some people enjoy being rude to others, some people feel like they are on a mission to tell all asexuals how Wrong their lifestyle supposedly is... :( A few such cases and you might feel very discouraged from leaving a possibility to comment.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived