Nudism/Naturism Nude is Not Lewd

Chef Remy

Someone in an asexual social group I am a member mentioned that she enjoys going to clothing optional resorts and nudist beaches. As other members of the group were surprised! And shocked!

I was curious as to why? Some people said they were not comfortable being naked (it is not for everyone). Others because they don’t feel comfortable with the opposite sex or strangers seeing them naked.

When I was stationed in the military in Europe I did go to a few mineral therme, spa/sauna. And some were co-ed clothing optional. It was not a big deal. And in Europe or Germany at least. Nude is not lewd.

Are there any other asexual’s that are nudist or naturist?

Or that have been co-ed clothing optional beaches or resorts?

nutterwithasolderingiron

no buy i dated a girl who was into it. personally i think we need to learn to stop sexualising the human body and treating it like a taboo..... but at the same time, there will always be people who can sexualise anything. but hey. 

I don't disagree with those who enjoy it, though I do not myself. I find myself being very self-conscious when in the nude around others. I've been to public baths and it's taken me a long time to get used to being around other naked women. I cannot imagine what would happen if I was around naked men. Maybe if I could guarantee they were asexual or gay or else not interested in me sexually, I would be more comfortable. But I've taken baby steps to getting over my insecurities and it is not helped by my confidence in no one caring what I look like when my bf says "Oh, lots of people were checking you out." Like, thanks, way to ruin my self-esteem. 

Lord Jade Cross

I've only heard people talk about nudist beaches and stuff but that's the extent of my knowledge. I know I wouldn't be caught dead naked anywhere regardless if it's considered lewd or not. I just don't want my body exposed!

I'm not into nudity, but I can see how people can be attracted to being unclothed without it being sexual.

26 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

I don't disagree with those who enjoy it, though I do not myself. I find myself being very self-conscious when in the nude around others. I've been to public baths and it's taken me a long time to get used to being around other naked women. I cannot imagine what would happen if I was around naked men. Maybe if I could guarantee they were asexual or gay or else not interested in me sexually, I would be more comfortable. But I've taken baby steps to getting over my insecurities and it is not helped by my confidence in no one caring what I look like when my bf says "Oh, lots of people were checking you out." Like, thanks, way to ruin my self-esteem. 

I wear a t-shirt at the beach. Do not like wearing shorts in the summer because I do not like my legs. Even at the gym I wear sweatpants or running pants. Same when I run outside or biking. And at the gym I usually put my t-shirt and underwear on in the shower. Not out in the open.

I can enjoy being nude absolutely alone... it is more comfortable than wearing clothes. But the concept of being nude around anyone else is terrifying. I hate my body and cover it up as much as possible.

I was introduced to nudism by a male friend around 15 years ago. This was probably around the same time I figured out I was asexual.

For me it's a feeling of freedom. I've been going to the clothing optional beach in Toronto for ten years now. As much as it doesn't bother me to be naked in the summer, really enjoy the time there in the spring or fall. Very few or no other visitors on the beach. A very 'desert island' vibe for me.

Some people do yoga or meditate, I love to get naked on a beach.

@CBC Thanks for the link! ;)

I went to a co-ed clothing optional beach by accident.My parents heard about some awsome small beach so we decided to go.

Turnes out they didn't do much research about it because it was a nudist beach.Not complitely nudist (there were a couple of people like us who wore swimsuits)  but there were many people who were also nude.

I wanted to die.I hate seeing myself naked let alone seeing others.Or even worse-others seeing me naked!

That is honestly my worst nightmare.I have nothing against people who are into nudism.In fact,i find them super brave!

But nudism is just not for me personally but i don't judge those who enjoy it😊💖

nutterwithasolderingiron

oh yeah. to add to my previous comment. i do have lots of problems with my own body. often i dunno what's scarier, the thought of me being naked or the fact that people want to see me naked.

The way Iooked at it the first time I went to Hanlans Beach (my friend and I had just been spending the day naked at secluded beaches on wilderness lakes) was that I didnt know the others there and thet didnt know them.

I took my friend there for the firsttime last year and he could see why I enjoyed it.

Everything you wanted to know about my nudism activities but were afraid to ask:

As you've probably noticed I'm very enthusiastic about it. LOL

Phantasmal Fingers

All nude is lewd.

I even wear a wetsuit in the bath.

In fact, because I dress and undress simultaneously I haven't actually been nude since 1983!

21 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I can enjoy being nude absolutely alone... it is more comfortable than wearing clothes. But the concept of being nude around anyone else is terrifying. I hate my body and cover it up as much as possible.

Why do you hate your body but are comfortable being clothes alone?

I prefer nudist beaches, not because I particularly enjoy being naked (so long as I'm a comfortable temperature I don't really care) but because I enjoy both swimming and reading in the sun and I hate sitting around in a wet bikini. Swimming naked, towel dry and the sitting comfortably in the sun is far better. I suppose I also like the attitude towards nudity in those places, it's so relaxed and non-sexual (so long as you avoid the meerkats).

1 hour ago, theV0ID said:

I prefer nudist beaches, not because I particularly enjoy being naked (so long as I'm a comfortable temperature I don't really care) but because I enjoy both swimming and reading in the sun and I hate sitting around in a wet bikini. Swimming naked, towel dry and the sitting comfortably in the sun is far better. I suppose I also like the attitude towards nudity in those places, it's so relaxed and non-sexual (so long as you avoid the meerkats).

To me swimming feels so much different naked!

I am not a nudist but I completely agree that being naked is not in and of itself lewd. I do not even think it need be sexual.  

1 hour ago, theV0ID said:

It does feel nice to enjoy the sun and the air clothes free, not being restricted by clothes. And just to dry in the sun or naturally on a warm day or on a lounge chair in an indoor spa/sauna.

Yes, most nudist/naturist places are relaxing and non-sexual.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that some people enjoy going without clothes, but I can’t really figure out the appeal of it.  I’m sure you’d save a lot of time on laundry, but... umm...  the furniture...

Anyway, I think one issue is that it’s difficult to tell the innocent kind of nudity from the lewd kind, so Americans culture tends to try and “err on the safe side.”  

6 minutes ago, RoonalWaslib said:

I know that some people enjoy going without clothes, but I can’t really figure out the appeal of it.  I’m sure you’d save a lot of time on laundry, but... umm...  the furniture...

I don't have a lot of clothes that aren't for work, and I spent years living and working in a place without air conditioning or even a decent fan. I lived alone and no one could see in, so it made sense to strip off my sweaty clothes, jump into the shower, and then take the towel with me to wherever I went after so I could sit on it. For example, I had a desk chair that had a seat and back made from bungee cords, so laying the towel down first worked really well. That's how to save the furniture and your clothes! Depending on the day, I continue to do this semi-regularly. Sometimes I leave on only my underthings when I cook. If there was anyone else who might see me, I would definitely cover up, though. 

I leave the nudism for the beach. I'm not lounging on the sofa watching TV in the buff. Mind you there are probably people that do.

Low End Things

Just gonna throw out some assumptions here...

I suspect lots of aces that feel this way (and about most light "sexual" things) fall into a number of the following camps:

a) They're young (under 21)

b) They're not comfortable with their bodies and unconsciously project that on others 

c) They're new to the ace label, assume that all aces are sex-repulsed, and associate nudity with sex, so they respond as such to "fall in line"

d) They're actually sex-repulsed, and associate nudity with sex, therefore nudity is essentially a trigger

e) They have a genuine aversion to seeing people naked outside of partners, loved ones, or themselves.

Except for d) and e), all these things resolve themselves through education, age, or experience.

12 hours ago, RoonalWaslib said:

Anyway, I think one issue is that it’s difficult to tell the innocent kind of nudity from the lewd kind, so Americans culture tends to try and “err on the safe side.”  

Also this, although I think this has more to do with America's puritanical background which we really need to get over at some point...

8 hours ago, Low End Things said:

Also this, although I think this has more to do with America's puritanical background which we really need to get over at some point...

True.  Several years ago, I remember stumbling across the fact that a game I played as a kid originally had a stage where the hero walks around wearing nothing but a ball cap, but they changed it in the North American version so that he was wearing pajamas instead.  (Kudos to your video game trivia knowledge if you know which game this is.)  I was so conditioned against nudity  that I went into a full on panic attack that lasted for several days.  It took me a while to convince myself that it was all fine and innocent.  (It helped that I found out his unclothed character sprite was drawn  such that he appeared to have Troll doll anatomy.)

After dealing with a few other incidents like this, I did some heavy soul searching, weighing the diametric opinions that the human body is beautiful and should be accepted and celebrated, and that the human body is sinful and should be shunned and hidden, and finally came to the conclusion that the human body is just kinda weird and boring and should be seen with indifference.

So, I’m marginally less grossed out by nakedness now, but I will still freak out if something springs full frontal stuff at me unexpectedly.

I don't think nudity by default is lewd. But, most people do have sexual thoughts / feelings about an attractive naked person and... uh. I don't want to be nude around people for that reason largely. Another is it feels like seeing someone in an intimate way, which... TMITMITMI with a stranger. I can't even stand nude scenes on TV for the TMI reasons. 

Not ace though, but still prefer nudity stay away from me. 

That being said though... I did end up on a nude beach with my in-laws purely by accident (they didn't know the area, I didn't either, I let them pick where we went...). It was a little awkward but I just looked down towards the ground. It's kinda like overhearing a personal conversation from a stranger, just kinda tune it out. 

On 3/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, will123 said:

To me swimming feels so much different naked!

skinny dipping is great!

@theV0ID @Chef Remy The beaches you've visited were they nudist or clothing optional? The reason I ask is that over the past few summers the numbers of 'textiles' visiting the clothing optional portion of Hanlans Point has increased even though there is a much less crowded clothing mandatory section adjacent. On a typical summer day, there will be several hundred folks on the 'nudist' side of the fence while there may be a couple of dozen on the other.

This has led to some nudists being upset. Some folks have been quite confrontational. The entrance points to the beach are well marked and the 'clothing optional' beach is well known in Toronto and the surrounding area. I think what upsets most of the nudists (myself included) is that the folks that have no intention of disrobing just saunter thru the beach 'sightseeing' as if they were at a tourist attraction. 

I had known about the beach for several years and had been a nudism enthusiast for a few years when I first cycled past the entrances. I had no desire that day to go in the buff, so I had no interest in checking out the sights. I felt that even though I hadn't become part of the beach community, my 'visiting' or seeing what I could see would be infringing on the privacy of those folks there at the time.

It's not for everyone, but I'm surprised how I've embraced nudism so readily. 

More to follow.

As much as my visits to are generally pleasant and enjoyable days I’ll pass along a couple of negative situations and an ‘episode’ that started out badly but I hope I lessened the impact.

After what happened during my first visit to Hanlan’s, I’m surprised I went back. Part way thru the day, a boat anchored offshore directly in front of where I was sitting. Initially I never thought anything of it as there were others anchored as well. What caught my eye was two girls (I was later to realise of prepubescent age) climbed down and then swam/waded to shore where they then headed south along the sand. I thought of all places to drop your kids off when the clothing mandatory beach was about a hundred yards to the north. I could see three adults on the cruiser but they never approached the beach.

I went back to reading my book and never thought anymore of the children. An hour or so later I got up to stretch my legs and go for a walk. I made my way to the water’s edge and then headed north. I was following a couple of guys and suddenly they stepped sideways and much to my shock, the two young girls were approaching me. I felt very uncomfortable. I had no problem with adults seeing me naked, but seeing that the girls would have my genitals right in their line of sight upset me very much. Even though I enjoy being naked at the beach, I have absolutely no interest in exposing myself to others (especially children) in a ‘public’ setting.

That was ten summers ago and since then I haven’t noticed any other children that age at the beach, much to my relief.

Now to an ongoing concern of mine and other nudists that visit the beach. Over the past few seasons, there has been a noticeable increase in ‘textiles’ (folks that visit but don’t undress) and gawkers that wander thru sightseeing like they were out for a casual stroll. The former may bother me to a small extent, but the latter tick me off (that’s putting it mildly). We’re not at the beach four tourists to check out. If I happen to cross paths with any while I’m walking, I feel quite defiant and hope that they do see my genitals. I know this sounds awful, but I just feel strongly about these ‘visitors’.

Now to finish off with something that I hope comes across in a positive way. A couple of summers ago, I was just sitting there watching the world go by when all of a sudden, I hear yelling behind me. I turn to see and older gentleman, a nudist, standing in front of three girls in bikinis, sitting on a blanket. He’s yelling at them while they have a look of terror on their faces. He pauses and one of the girls says, “I was just taking a couple of selfies.” The guy starts yelling and gesturing, “It’s a camera blah blah blah…” He then stormed off down the beach.

He was a bit of a regular at the beach and had seen some of his behaviour which could charitably be described as different. The girls then appeared to speak among themselves. Nobody approached them, so I thought I should say something to them to reassure them that his behaviour wasn’t typical.

I walked over to them and asked them if I could apologize. They said sure. I knelt down in front of them and said that I was sorry about the guy’s behaviour. They thought that was OK. I told them that I had seen him around the beach in the past and he had ‘issues’ so to speak. I asked them if this was their first visit to Hanlans, they said yes. “Well cameras are kind of frowned on here”, I said. One of the girls replied, “We were just taking selfies, we’d never take any pics of others!” “OK, have a good day and enjoy yourselves” They thanked me for coming over to fill them in. I stood up and headed back to my blanket.

I know this may seem to fly in the face of what I said earlier, but regardless of the situation, the way they were harangued was totally uncalled for.

I don't have a problems with nudity,  i mean I know it's just natural thing, for example in sauna or sth, and I can identify being naked not sexually :)

I have a good friend in Germany who is into naturism, aka Freikörperkultur. He's really obsessed, makes me get involved on video chat. We once traded paintings we made by imprinting genitals. He used his son's finger paints. He's a smart guy, lots of fun to chat with, although my patience for getting myself naked is not as much anymore.

Diana DeLuna

NUDE IS NOT LEWD. I cannot understand why so many people equate nudity with sex! This disconnect has gotten me in trouble with allos in the past. Mixed signals caused by Ace cluelessness.

In my early 20s, my friend wanted to join a naturist club so I joined too. We went to about 2 or 3 nudist events. Till I realized there was nothing special about this: playing card games and volleyball and socializing with strangers are all barely-to-not-at-all enjoyable activities that one can do at a boring church picnic, lack of clothes completely notwithstanding. It was pointless so I stopped.

Edited to add: But I've never been to a nude or even topless beach. That would be a delight! All I've ever done is skinny-dip in the ocean with my daring sister.

Archived