Which one do you prefer?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• GRSM
    • LGBT+, or variation thereof
    • Other, pleace specify

This poll is closed to new votes

Strange-quark

Which acronym do you prefer? Especially if you identify as a member of the community.

Pls no fight 😅, especially w.r.t. 'are aces LGBT'. But discussion is welcome.

Janus the Fox

I like the 2 to describe different things.  Sure LGBT+ as recognised group, GRSM as a catch all term for such identity minorities.

I like LGBTQ+ for simplicity and inclusivity. Also, I always read GRSM as “GERMS”

GRSM is simpler, because LGBT+ seems to be forever expanding. 

okay, I live under a rock.

... what does GRSM stand for? -.-°

Horse Ham Radio

LGBT+ for no reason other than it is the most well known, so it is the easiest term to use when communicating.

J. van Deijck
4 hours ago, weird elf said:

That's what I wanted to ask actually 🤔

AceMissBehaving
4 hours ago, weird elf said:

4 minutes ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

That's what I wanted to ask actually 🤔

Gender, Romantic, and Sexual Minorities 

J. van Deijck
6 minutes ago, AceMissBehaving said:

Yeah sounds better, thanks ^_^

Personally, I detest the term LGBT with a passion and have done for a very long time. I am quite frankly surprised that it is not disliked by more aces. It causes problems for us, as demonstrated by the constant debates and differences of option as to whether we are part of it or not.

It places too much emphasis on the LGBT part and further side-lines those of us who are neither LGBT nor heteronormative.

I hate it for its ambiguity. Beyond the LGBT part, nobody seems to know for certain or agree what the rest of the letters are, those which are supposed to be represented by the “+”. There is also no clear consensus on what the other letters stand for, or even how many there are. I have seen different variations with different combinations of letters used. Being tacked on as a “+” like it is merely an afterthought irritates the crap out of me and I think it is pathetic and bordering on offensive.

I like GRSM because there is no ambiguity over its meaning, and also because it acknowledges the distinction between romantic and sexual orientation. (I have actually more commonly seen it expressed as GSRM rather than GRSM, but I don’t think that matters particularly, and either way round is fine.

In everyday life, where most people would generally say LGBT+ (or some other variant of it), whether it be in casual conversation or in a formal setting, I always instead say “gender, sexual and romantic minorities”, and I don’t just say the letters of the abbreviation, I always say it in full. I think it is good to do that because it gets people’s attention and makes them think, and it sometimes leads to productive discussions about why I use that term.

44 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I like GRSM because there is no ambiguity over its meaning

...yet. Debate as to whether [insert "label" here]-sexuality is a minority incoming...

I'm used to "LGBT+." While I understand others' reasoning behind "GRSM" (i.e. that it's more inclusive), I don't come across it, often, so it's a little difficult for me to remember the acronym and what each letter stands for.

Anthracite_Impreza

GSRM, cos my romantic orientation isn't automatically excluded.

GRSM. People get used to all other types of name changes. This would be a major improvement.

Strange-quark

I actually like GRSM exactly because it sounds kind of weird and nerdy 🙈 ... But good point, GSRM seems to be the more common one 😅

Strange-quark

Some arguments reside here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_minority#Controversy

I find the point about 'minority' versus 'minorised' quite interesting. But I guess it could be just as well 'gender, sexual, and romantic minorised (groups)' (?)

Edit: looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group, the above doesn't actually sound necessary.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

There wouldn't be a problem with LGBTQIAP+ if people actually spelt more than LGBT without rolling their eyes and making the rest of the community out to be a joke...but also, GRSM has the specific problem that it doesn't include intersex. It also just kinda sounds overly sanitised to me?

Strange-quark
11 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

but also, GRSM has the specific problem that it doesn't include intersex.

I hope I'm not being terribly ignorant or insensitive here, but isn't intersex included in the 'G', since it falls outside the traditional gender binary? NIH seems to think so, at least.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:24 PM, Homer said:

...yet. Debate as to whether [insert "label" here]-sexuality is a minority incoming...

I take it to just mean everything other than cis-het, so in that way it really is inclusive and straight-forward. Whereas with LGBTQIA+ everyone kind of has to pick a letter or a few letters and may not even identify fully with their choice.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
4 hours ago, Strange-quark said:

I hope I'm not being terribly ignorant or insensitive here, but isn't intersex included in the 'G', since it falls outside the traditional gender binary? NIH seems to think so, at least.

The intersex and trans communities have crossover in terms of the issues which we face, like we can work for depathologisation of both trans and intersex people via pushes for informed consent, recognising people's bodily autonomy and just like not traumatising them through medicine...but there's plenty which intersex people face which has nothing to do with trans people who aren't intersex, and it's NOT the gender binary which intersex people fall outside of but the sex binary. Using sex and gender as synonymous like that is harmful to both trans and intersex people.

I'm not intersex so just gonna add a blog I think is good. http://beyondthebinary.co.uk/intersex-awareness-day-are-nonbinary-intersex-people-cis-are-they-trans-whats-the-deal/

Phantasmal Fingers
On 2/28/2020 at 5:41 PM, AceMissBehaving said:

Which, of course, excludes us aros! 😅

Alright, as you were. 

Phantasmal Fingers
1 hour ago, Strange-quark said:

@Moderne Jazzhanden That joke? 😅

No. 

I think LGBT has transcended what the acronym stands for. It makes less sense, but replacing language is extremely difficult. Then again, nothing is impossible.

Though GRSM doesn't roll off the tongue as easily. I don't see it as being a likely replacement, whatever I feel about it.

AceMissBehaving
2 hours ago, Moderne Jazzhanden said:

Which, of course, excludes us aros! 😅

Alright, as you were. 

Aro would fall under romantic minority, it actually puts a brighter light on aromanticism

I prefer to use GRSM because it's more all-inclusive and it's not a list of acronyms that people insist on continuing to add things to over and over again turning into alphabet soup. Plus, you don't have the elitism of only the big four letters people use being included or acknowledged. Or people insisting that letters mean different things ("The A stands for 'ally'!" "No, it stands for 'asexual'!").

However, LGBT (because the + is often ignored) is more well-known and therefore more likely to be acknowledged and given respect. Also, GRSM is so inclusive others can make a very good case of being included despite LGBT people not wanting their/our labels associated with them (zoophiles and pedophiles technically both fall under "sexual minority", and both are generally considered bad in most societies). So for now, I will try and use both terms when referring to the different communities.

5 hours ago, SithEmpress said:

Also, GRSM is so inclusive others can make a very good case of being included despite LGBT people not wanting their/our labels associated with them (zoophiles and pedophiles technically both fall under "sexual minority", and both are generally considered bad in most societies).

I hadn't thought of this before. Good point.

Archived