Do you dream in 1st or 3rd person?

Anonymous Axolotl

Do you dream in 1st or 3rd person?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What perspective(s) are your dreams in?

• First-person only
    • Third-person only
    • Mostly first, but partially in third
    • Mostly third, but partially in first
    • A fairly even mix
    • It varies from dream to dream
    • I don’t dream/don’t remember
  2. 2. When you are portrayed in your fantasies or daydreams that involve others (whether they be sexual, romantic, sensual, platonic, etc.) are they in:

• First-person only
    • Third-person only
    • Mostly first, but partially in third
    • Mostly third, but partially in first
    • A fairly even mix
    • It varies from fantasy/daydream to fantasy/daydream
    • I don’t fantasize or daydream/don’t remember

This poll is closed to new votes

Anonymous Axolotl

A while ago, I learned that when asexuals fantasize (whether that be sexual, romantic, sensual, platonic, etc. fantasies), they are far more likely to do so in third-person, whereas people of other sexualities are apparently more likely to do so in first.

This has been on my mind for a while now, and it got me wondering if there's any correlation to dreams.

Thinking back on all of my dreams that I can recall, the vast majority of them take place in a third-person perspective, almost like I’m playing a video game or watching a movie. There are fleeting moments where it seems to shift to first-person, but otherwise it’s pretty much all third-person.

Now, when I try to imagine myself in any situation with another person, it’s the same deal: almost entirely third-person with brief snippets of first-person. Much of the time, I have to force myself to change the perspective to first since it doesn’t seem to come naturally.

So, how does this apply to others?

Weirdly, most of my dreams are like playing a video game. I'm either directly in a game, or looking down at life like one. I'm not even a heavy gamer, but they all tend to frame the same way. Maybe some more like a movie, but always a bit detached.

I can't remember the last time I had a dream about someone else in the form of a fantasy or anything.

First person.

I don't fantasize

Mostly first person, but sometimes third, for both dreams and fantasies.

Dreams definitely first person. I'm lucky in that if a dream is vivid enough, and occurs at the right time in my sleep cycle I can continue it after I wake 

Sexy fantasies are third person only, I don't have sex dreams 

I flip between first and third often during dreams 

I generally don't remember my dreams. Actually, last time I remembered a dream was probably years ago, but that's for the best cause I only remember my nightmares. A mix of first and third person POV, zero fantasie in them obviously. All very "psychedelic" or at least unrealistic. Generally just me in it, and immaterial entities hunting me down in frightening places that often don't look like anything you have seen before.

It changes from dream to dream. Sometimes, I’m not the actual protagonist of my dream (when that happens, I’m not in the dream at all), instead I kinda “play” the protagonist (their gender depends on the dream) if it’s first person, or, if it’s third person, the “dream camera” just follows them around so therefore they’re the protagonist.

Other times, the dream switches between first and third person.

Regarding romantic dreams, I’ve only had one true romantic one in which a girl got down on her knees and asked to marry me (I said yes, but I instantly regretted it cause I actually didn’t like her).

For dreams it's always 1st person. I even had this weird night when I was dreaming something in black and white. I was talking to someone else, but I forget who. I woke up for some reason and then went back to sleep. When I began the dream again, I was now the other person talking to who had originally been me. 

But my fantasies are almost always in 3rd person if they involve me, but sometimes in first. 

Mostly first person sometimes and rarely third this is especially horrifying in nightmares (one of the  worst that I can remember was running away on my  school playground only to trip and fall meeting face to face with a poisonous snake that would then bite me ending the dream) or odd when it's a false awakening dream (a dream that seems way to real to be a dream). As for day dreams  they play out like a movie or tv show i'm watching.

2/3rds third person

1/3rd first person

I basically watch a weird movie where I am an all seeing camera that follows one character around. Sometimes I am that character instead. I’m almost never “me” as in Grace in my dreams. I might be a small boy or an old mutant space monster.

• 3 weeks later...
Soul Searcher

Earlier, I only used to dream in first person but now, third person have also become an occurrence. I have had dreams in third person, experienced deja vu in dreams and some other things that don't make sense to me. 

I daydream a lot, and almost with no exception, on third person. I very seldomly remember my dreams, and when I do, they're nearly always on third person. Or maybe I'm acting as someone else. But I'm never myself in any of my dreams.

Janus the Fox

Dreams or remembering dreams are pretty rare for me.  They’re 1st person if they are and never (a)sexual/relationship themed.

Mostly first person in dreams although I often take some distance from the action by lucid dreaming. Also some dreams are both first and third person: I focus on the other things so I loose my self-identity in the dream and become an immaterial observer.

Some fantasies are first person but most of the time based on an alternative version of myself. I have more third person fantasies.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:03 PM, Anonymous Axolotl said:

A while ago, I learned that when asexuals fantasize (whether that be sexual, romantic, sensual, platonic, etc. fantasies), they are far more likely to do so in third-person, whereas people of other sexualities are apparently more likely to do so in first.

Where'd you learn that?  If it's an article or something I'd be interested in reading it!

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

It depends on the dream/daydream. Sometimes I'm not even myself in dreams, if that makes any sense. 

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

It changes all the time, even in the middle of my dreams. Some of my dreams, though, are more like short movies that I'm not present in at all.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer
9 minutes ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

Sometimes I'm not even myself in dreams, if that makes any sense.

It does to me, as I feel like I experience the same thing.

Ms. Carolynne

I dream in the first person, and I'm always me, albeit sometimes a different version of myself.

As for daydreams, I'm not sure. I have a lot of daydreams where I'm not directly involved. When I am involved it's usually third person, but sometimes first person. It kind of depends what it is.

I typically dream in first person, although sometimes the perspective changes to third person. In some dreams as well, especially when I am a different person, the dream is just in third person.

I honestly can't tell.

I dream entirely in first person.

I had to vote "I don't fantasise/daydream" because although I do, I am never portrayed in those fantasies they are always about fictional people and I am not involved in any way except as the... host? Narrator? Observer? None of those are the right words but hopefully you can understand what I mean. It would be nice to have an option for "I fantisise in third person but I am not portrayed in them".

Duke Memphis

It's almost always first person.

For dreams, mostly first, sometimes third, never sexy.

For fantasising, third person only, I don't feature at all, ever.

• 11 months later...

@Anonymous Axolotl

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived