A blog about LGBT+ animals from Greenpeace with a bit about asexuality ;-)

ithaca

Hey folks,

So this blog was just published by Greenpeace UK. https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/lgbtq-behaviours-animal-kingdom/

It talks about how LGBTQ+ humans have often been oppressed with the justification of "it's not natural, you don't see this in the animal kingdom" and this blog shows how that's not the case. 

It includes a paragraph on asexual animals (as in, not interested in mating, not animals who reproduce asexually), and links to one of the most ground-breaking articles for our community, the 2004 New Scientist article that really got our community to grow so much bigger and get so much media exposure. You can see for yourself what a big deal that article was by checking out the articles published in 2004 in the World Watch 2004 Archive, which lists them by date. So yeah, small but nice mention?

Janus the Fox

It’s like old news but with such a platform as Greenpeace highlighting this gives the human LGBT movement total biological validation.

To add the Asexual ram study too is a bonus. Good on Greenpeace to give some much needed visibility.

As LGBT+ folks we shouldn't have to justify ourselves to show the cishet population that we're okay the way we are. So that bugs me a bit. But nonetheless, I have to say that I'm quite happy about this article. Well done, Greenpeace.

I always liked those birds, but now that I know about lesbian albatrosses, I like them even more ❤️

2 hours ago, kiaroskuro said:

I always liked those birds, but now that I know about lesbian albatrosses, I like them even more ❤️

:) :blush: :wub:

Wow! Go Greenpeace! It’s something anyone not using that argument knows but there isn’t really much platform given to it. Nature is so diverse and I think that’s what makes this planet beautiful. In yer face, oppressors! (I’m kidding.) 

It’s nice they provide the receipts, too.

Look up the book "Zamba:  The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived" by Ralph Helpher - the lion may have been asexual.  Ralph kept trying to introduce Zamba to pretty lionesses and nothing ever came of it.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:04 AM, thylacine said:

Look up the book "Zamba:  The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived" by Ralph Helpher - the lion may have been asexual.  Ralph kept trying to introduce Zamba to pretty lionesses and nothing ever came of it.

Hah interesting! Did Ralph try to introduce Zamba to pretty lions too? Maybe he was gay.

1 hour ago, ithaca said:

Hah interesting! Did Ralph try to introduce Zamba to pretty lions too? Maybe he was gay.

I dunno, the book didn't say.

AceMissBehaving
On 2/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, Snao Cone said:

Rams who don't wanna ram.

And just like that, I feel the need to make a fave sports jersey with this tag line and mascot 

I heard about the study about asexual sheep before it's fascinating and makes me wonder if asexual tendencies would be found in other animals. I also didn't know how many animals showed homosexuality, I had no Idea it was over 1000. 

Archived