Why not, America?

Tabula Rasa

After watching the Nevada presidential debate and seeing all the infighting, it struck me that the candidates (apart from Bloomberg and Bernie) each have attributes that another lacks. 

Biden has federal government experience. He had a backstage pass to the presidency for eight years, and formed relationships with world leaders. He could be the face of the country and protect it from foreign threats, including climate change.

Warren and Klobuchar have done exemplary work as senators, and together, could transform education and healthcare.

Buttigeg has the character, discipline, foresight, local government experience, and military experience to unify the country and protect it from domestic threats. Not only violent ones, but also things like gerrymandering.

That brings some cohesion to this democratic unit. And there we have America's first executive round table.

But instead, this country is hellbent on having ONE person embody all of those attributes. Why? Because that's the way we've always done it. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this "American Experiment" is proving to be a very old wine-skin that's about to burst. How about a new one?

What do you think?

RoseGoesToYale
25 minutes ago, New display name said:

Why? Because that's the way we've always done it.

This makes a more accurate motto than "In God We Trust" Most Americans would rather die by an outdated constitution than scrap it and risk writing a better one.

I have a lot of issues with how our government is formed.

The American federal government may have been pioneering... 250 years ago. Now, it is awkward and bloated, not suited to a country this large and this modern. Almost every arm of the US government is weighed down. It is embarrassing.

But we can barely elect a president in a 2 party system. The odds of systematic change are nonexistent.

40 minutes ago, New display name said:

... Klobuchar ... could transform education and healthcare.

Wow. That is... an interesting take.

I agree with the need for change in the way the government runs, but I don't see a way to get there.   The people and organizations currently in power got there under the present system, and will naturally support that system.   The constitution does allow changes, but the requirements are going to be extremely difficult to meet with the present level of division in the country.  

Of course we would also need broad agreement on what constitutes a better system.  

I also don't see a path for change. To borrow a bad term, it is too big to fail. We can't even get rid of the electoral college, because the states that benefit override the vote. And we just demonstrated that the government is hopelessly partisan.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

He could be the face of the country and protect it from foreign threats, including climate change.

No matter who ends up being the president, they'll be "the face of the country". That's nothing Biden-specific. Not sure what makes you say that Biden has got the qualities you mention. He's the only candidate who has the potential to be even worse than Doughnald. Should sit in a retirement home watching Matlock...

Calligraphette_Coe

It's so eeire how history repeats it self, even if not exactly. Here's Edward R. Murrow in 1954:

https://speakola.com/political/edward-r-murrow-on-mccarthy-1954

"Cassius was right-- 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.'"

Meh, politics has just been a source of entertainment for me for years now. I hate that politicians want to control our lives but I might as well laugh at this circus.

Archived