Asexual Routes in Otome Games

DarkAngel12

Do any asexuals on here play Otome? If so, would you want to see more Asexual characters in Otome games or possibly as a Canon route?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want more asexual Otome character routes?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you want a canon asexual Otome character route?

• Yes
    • No

This question is to find out how many asexuals actually play Otome games. Otome games are basically romance visual novels targeted towards women. I am curious to see how many asexuals actually play Otome, and if you do play it, then would you want to see more asexual routes or a canon route?

I love otome games! I also love the equivalent to them directed at males. Basically just dating sims in general are my favorite game type. 

I have one game that was reccomended on here because it had an ace route, but unfortunately it's just difficult enough for me to have put it on my back burner to figure out later. I enjoy the challenge since something as easy as Magical Diary isn't always preferable. 

Mind you, I think I like Magical Diary so much because it offers so many different routes. My preferred is still the dating the Snape-like teacher because of the animosity and taboo involved, but my second favorite is definitely the roommate who is asexual. Well, vaguely asexual. She says she's not ready for "that kind" of relationship and that she may never be ready, but I totally get it. (I also love that you can get married in the former route and promised to be married in the latter.)

Damn, and now I wanna play through the different routes in Magical Diary...

I so thoroughly don't enjoy "visual novels" that I have a hard time even classifying them as video games (much like many modern "video games" where they're like >90% cutscenes or simply just walking around, and <10% actual gameplay where you're actually doing more than just sitting there watching or pressing a button to advance through dialogue), so I can't say I'd really care either way.

1 hour ago, Philip027 said:

I so thoroughly don't enjoy "visual novels" that I have a hard time even classifying them as video games (much like many modern "video games" where they're like >90% cutscenes or simply just walking around, and <10% actual gameplay where you're actually doing more than just sitting there watching or pressing a button to advance through dialogue), so I can't say I'd really care either way.

I consider them like create-your-own-adventure books. But I do understand why people wouldn't like them. The ones that don't really have choice affect the story are the ones that fail as games in my mind. I prefer the ones that are more game-like in requiring things in addition to choosing the correct dialogue choice. Like needing to obtain certain items either to win their affection or open up different route options. 

Like my example of Magical Diary is something I legitimately consider a game. The actual gameplay is focused on you going through high school and choosing which classes to attend each day. Going to certain classes ups different stats that you need for different routes or options. It's not like Amnesia: Memories where you choose a route at the beginning, and make different dialogue choices that either result in a good end, neutral end, or death (maybe a few have a bad end that aren't death, but most are death). That's pretty lame and there isn't much gameplay involved, therefore I'm fine if someone wanted to be technical and not refer to that as a "game". 

I consider them like create-your-own-adventure books.

Which were way, way cooler, imho

But that's kind of what I mean, like... you wouldn't consider an e-book on a Kindle to be a video game just because it's on an electronic device with a screen that you can "flick" the pages of the book by running your finger over said screen (basically the equivalent of a bare minimum level of player "interaction"), right?  That's sort of how I see these things.  It's certainly fine if you can still get a kick out of them the same way you would with one of those CYOA books (I certainly can't)... but to me it's about as silly as calling an e-book a video game.

Anyway... kinda digressing from the topic.

4 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Which were way, way cooler, imho

And I've read one create-your-own-adventure book and hated it. Not even really sure why I made that comparison other than the interactive nature of both mediums... Just not for me. I prefer not having to flip past 20 pages to get to my decision, then having to go back to see how it would've been different if I chose the other route. Games at least make it less overt I'm skipping half the story options by choosing A instead of B. So imo, those books suck. Which is really weird since I like "games" that are essentially just a graphic novel with scrolling textboxes. 

To each their own. Though I will say I think otome games which are just reading still beat out the "dating sims" which are basically give a girl a drink, remember her birthday, succeed in a mini game, and be rewarded with her now apparently dating you. Though I play them both. Because I'm trash. 

I'm not usually a fan of books in general.  They're too boring.  I wanna do something, I wanna influence the outcome, I want to be involved.  With books, I'm just a spectator.  I lose interest quickly.

And that isn't to say that I hate reading.  I read shit on the internet all day.  It's just way easier to find something pertaining to my (limited) interests via the internet than it is in book form.  That reading also often directly results in me getting to partake in a conversation and influence its outcome, such as on these very forums.

Video games pretty much spoiled me from a young age when it came to books, so I guess I'm pretty uncultured and "trashy" myself in my own way.  Oh well.

Archived