Semiterrestrial Scientist

Pluto  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pluto a planet

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Semiterrestrial Scientist

I have a strong attachment to Pluto. How about u guys?

flat,750x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Pluto was and still is a planet in my book.

Anthracite_Impreza

Define planet.

13 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Define planet.

Well, if you go by planetary attraction (which is to say, feeling intense gravity towards a star and as a result revolving around it) then Pluto is in the planetary grey area (aka dwarf planet) because the gravity felt towards the star in question is weaker in nature.

However, if you go by intrinsic desire for planetary status, Pluto would qualify as a planet, because although the attraction may be weak, there is a desire for planetary status. It's just not as strongly compelled by planetary attraction as it is for other planets.

(Edit: note that I am not an astronomy enthusiast by any stretch, so this is mostly rectally retrieved.)

Anthracite_Impreza

@Snao Cone I just snorted, and I don't mean coke.

No more than Ceres, Eris, Haumea, Makemake, or any of the other estimated 10,000 dwarf planets in our solar system.

Anyone wanting to believe pluto is a planet makes it no more true than someone wanting the earth to be the center of the universe because they dig Aristotelian physics 😕

Not technically but it is in my heart.

I feel like in a couple of decades our feelings about Pluto might really show our age and the younger generation will be like wtf X'D 

Personally I have no strong feelings on the matter. If astronomers say it's not a planet that's fine, and I can understand why they do. Makes no difference to me in my own life. 

RoseGoesToYale

Sizism has no place in science or my clothes shopping.

Pluto was a planet before. They can't just make it not a planet because it's now "too small".

Only scientists on earth were asked. Why wasn't scientists from pluto allowed their opinion on it before Plexit

I support Pluto's right to self identify. 

[X] meh

I thought Pluto was a cartoon dog *innocentface*😋 😋 

Seriously though, I don't think it really matters. Maybe for interstellar bragging rights should we start communicating with species from another solar system. 

If Pluto were to be defined as a planet then our solar system wouldn't have 9 planets. It would have dozens at least.

Janus the Fox

It’s too far and too small for a planet to me.  I still stand by its definition as Dwarf Planet.  Who knows, maybe Pluto was part of another inner planet system that got thrown out during The Late Heavy Bombardment.  If only space objects can speak.

4 hours ago, Andrea KF said:

No, Pluto is a dog.

310?cb=20100831003007

Which raises the usual question, then what is Goofy? :P :lol: 

Spoiler

(anthropomorphic dog - some cartoon universes have both anthro animals and non-anthro ones)

There are a lot of sizable bodies in orbit that aren't planets. I have to side with the current scientific consensus that it isn't, but I'm not terribly attached to that definition, since the distinction can be arbitrary. But I would say no.

Not exactly (so I voted 'no', since that's closer). It's a dwarf planet. There's no reason not to be interested in or attached to it, however; plenty of interesting astronomical objects aren't planets, and the Kuiper belt in general is interesting. I also am unsure why people have treated this reclassification as Pluto not being a planet at all any more, since I've never seen people say that a dwarf star isn't a star at all. It's a small planet, not behaving in the same way as those we consider to be regular planets, but it's not like it got reclassified as a moon or an asteroid.

If the scientific classification changes again, then I'll certainly accept that Pluto is a full planet, but at the moment I think it makes complete sense not to classify it as such. There would have to be a compelling reason to classify it as a full planet again, such as sharing some characteristic we haven't yet discovered or defined with other full planets and not dwarf planets.

Pluto is technically a dwarf planet so I said no but here's the scientific reasoning for why it's not a planet. (At least the version I was taught) I don't actually care but I feel the need to input. 

Requirements to become a planet: 

1. Not be a moon, check 

2. Orbit around a star, check 

3. Not have any other objects in it's orbit, not check 

Therefore, Pluto has now been classified as a dwarf planet. 

Just going to put it out there that the beautiful state of New Mexico legally recognizes Pluto as a planet as a part of our state constitution. 

Just putting it out there...

Legally Pluto is a Planet

Knight of Cydonia
On 2/18/2020 at 7:51 AM, daveb said:

If Pluto were to be defined as a planet then our solar system wouldn't have 9 planets. It would have dozens at least.

Exactly!

Ceres, Pallas, Juno, Vesta, Astraea, Hebe, Iris, Flora, Metis, Hygiea, Parthenope, Victoria, Egeria, Irene, Eunomia, more... all used to be considered planets at some point. Even the Sun was considered a "planet" ages ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Soul Searcher

It was 2006 and I was in primary school, I guess. I had just learned that there are nine planets in our solar system. The science teacher that I had was extra strict and had us all memorize the names of all the planets. Then, a few months later in upper grade, everybody started telling me that pluto is not a planet anymore and there are only eight planets in the Solar System. And I just accepted it. Never questioned it. To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me. And if there are aliens on Pluto, they won't care whether or not what we think of their [giant mass of rocks which they live on].

On 2/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

Pluto was a planet before. They can't just make it not a planet because it's now "too small".

I don't think size has anything to do with it. The Moon is bigger than Pluto. Four moons of Jupiter are bigger than Pluto. What if in Kuiper Belt( region beyond Neptune), a oddly shaped object bigger than Jupiter was discovered? Would it be another planet? Pluto was a planet before only because we did not have powerful instruments to prove or disprove the claim. So, it just became a planet.

Anyhoo, here's the thing

https://www.universetoday.com/13573/why-pluto-is-no-longer-a-planet/

Hope it helped!

• 3 weeks later...

Pluto is NOT a planet. Vulcan is. Live long and prosper! 🖖

• 1 month later...

No one mentioned Sailor Pluto ☹️

With the current facts on planets yes Pluto is not a planet, I get that. But, as someone that grew up on anime, which included Sailor Moon, I cannot not say Pluto is a planet to me. 

Archived