At which age did you first hear about Asexuality?

Morgenrot

At which age did you first hear about asexuality?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. At which age did you first hear about asexuality?

• I've always known about it
    • 10 or younger
    • 11-13
    • 14-16
    • 17-19
    • 20-25
    • 26-30
    • 31 or older

This poll is closed to new votes

Early to mid twenties. Kind of funny that although it was said to me I didn't realize it actually meant me. For some reason I went on for quite a while thinking I was "broken".

That Ginger Kid

I can’t remember if I was 18 or 19. A trans chick I worked with told me I set off her gaydar, which I thought was weird because I didn’t think I wasn’t straight at that point in my life, and we began talking. She suggested maybe I was ace, I went home and looked it up, and it made total sense to me. And for, like, four years, she was the only one who knew I was asexual because I didn’t know how people would react to it. Most people in my life still don’t know I’m ace because I fear potential backlash. 

17, and I found it purely by luck. I was looking into the smaller groups in LGBT+ for my (now ex) friend and stumbled across Ash Hardell’s ABCs of LGBT, which has Asexuality and Aromanticism videos :) 

Late 20's or maybe early 30's but didn't realize that it meant me. 

29 minutes ago, weird elf said:

For some reason I went on for quite a while thinking I was "broken".

I never thought I was broken, before I realized that I was asexual, I guess it more of believing that the fates would lead me to that one angel that was put on this earth just for me. Geez that sounds silly and naive. 

I found out when I was 15 but never actually question my own sexuality until I was 18. Being romantic made me think that I was heterosexual for years, I had to experience a couple of relationships to realize who I was.

i was 24 when i first heard the term applied to humans, and really started researching and questioning about a year later.

Went through a crisis about my identity when I was 18/19 and looked up a bunch of stuff along the lines of "bisexual but not wanting sex" or "no attraction to anyone" and "what is attraction". Found the term asexual used a bunch of times, it brought me to AsexualityArchive and AVEN. 

1 hour ago, LeChat said:

Hi. If you haven't read this thread already, I suppose you might be interested in it.

Thanks for linking my thread. There are some great post on there.

And (to the OP here) 31+ is the highest category? There's quite a lot of people in the over-50's thread who, like me, had no idea about asexuality back in the day.  But I've just voted and I'm the only one over 26 even. Sigh.....

1 minute ago, Midland Tyke said:

But I've just voted and I'm the only one over 26 even.

Not anymore. :)

(I was 50+ when I first heard about asexuality)

17 was my age when I first read the word "asexual", and it was from a person I met in the Omegle chat

In the human context 42

17 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Thanks for linking my thread. There are some great post on there...

Oh! You're welcome.

Yes; it is a good, useful thread, with several hundred replies and a variety of ages.

I don't recall when I first technically heard of it, but I didn't become aware of it until the past year, so around 38.

Heard the word (with a very negative connotation)? Some time during puberty.

Learnt what it encompasses? The last six to twelve months. 😅 (I voted on this one.)

dandeliongirl

I had never heard about it until about 6 months ago while reading fanfiction. Did some research after that. So 23. 

Which is very sad. Aromanticism was even later. It took even more years for me to realize and accept that these terms described me. I blame my very limited religion-guided sex education. I think the internet helps, but culture needs to change so this information isn't so hidden.

• 1 year later...

@Morgenrot

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived