AVENues needs you!

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

Yes you! You reading this! We need you! 

AVENues is AVEN's quarterly newsletter. You can see our older issues here: https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/20735-avenues-links-inside/

We need more people on our team! If you are interested in any of the following positions, reply here or pm me! 

If you want to know more about any position, you can ask any of the current AVENues staff members tagged below.

Artists  ( @kelico )

• Make art (any kind that can be publishable online) to add to our issues.
  • We especially need graphic arts to snazz up the issues. 

Writers  ( @Snao Cone @Kimmie. )

• Write content pieces for AVENues. You can decide what you want to do. Some ideas from the past are:
    • Write about a meetup or other ace event
    • Write about your responses to our theme 
    • AVENues interviews
    • Video game reviews
    • Movie reviews
  • Write creative pieces to publish (poems, short stories, etc)

Editors ( @Kikuka @Scooter )

• Spell/grammar check all writings
  • Check layout for any errors

I'm interested in the artist position.

You have permission to use anything I post regardless. All poems I post are original. Doesn't mean they are good lol. 

I'm interested in the artist position too. I expressed interest some time ago but I'm still reluctant because I don't know the extend of the workload. Also, I don't have the infrastructure for digital art, so I can only do "traditional" art and take photos of it. So there would be some loss in quality I guess.

41 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

We especially need graphic arts to snazz up the issues.

What exactly do have in mind? Can you give me an example?

Every now and then I could also write some game reviews but English isn't my native language so I might give the editors a hard time.

8 minutes ago, Windspiel said:

...Every now and then I could also write some game reviews but English isn't my native language so I might give the editors a hard time.

@Kimmie., whose native language is Swedish, wrote a game review in the most recent issue (it's in English). :) So, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for the editors.

A post for the next issue 

International meetups 

There have been a few international meetups centered around WorldPride. In 2017 two members visited Iceland and had a great time. Almost as a joke I said "let's have a meetup there" and in no time at all we had seventeen of us met in Reykjavik in May 2018. Multiple activities took place ranging from going to football matches, visiting museums, taking coach tours, climbing hills, whale watching, discovering a brilliant craft ale scene, end result many friendships have been made. 

@Snao Conecame up with the suggestion of Utrecht for 2019, which took place in August. Altogether over 30 attended, from Canada, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Bulgaria, Netherlands, Belgium, UK *, please add if I've missed somewhere *, again we tried many different activities, and broadened our horizons

Now @Kimmie.Has organised a Stockholm meeting, where maybe six to ten nations will be represented

@Snao Conehas instigated a meetup in Toronto in September where again, it looks like AVENistes from many nations will attend

WorldPride in Madrid 2017 brought people from at least six nations together, some of whom I'm happy to say have met up again in other countries 

Events like these help people who may not want to travel alone to travel, be with friends whom you've met online and widen your horizons. Purely personal, but without AVEN and international meetings I'd probably still not have a passport and never have flown. 

I'm thinking I could write something every now and then. I actually have a fun wee true story idea based on next issues theme (of how a platonic friend discovered I was ace). Though I also answered the survey bit. Too late to start writing now, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow after I finished work.

scarletlatitude
2 hours ago, MichaelTannock said:

I'm interested in the artist position.

Michael! We need to add you to the forum! (goes to poke an admin) 

1 hour ago, Silence4now said:

You have permission to use anything I post regardless. All poems I post are original. Doesn't mean they are good lol. 

Okay, we will let you know if we use your stuff. There is an official form we have to have filled out, for legal stuff. 

1 hour ago, Windspiel said:

I'm interested in the artist position too. I expressed interest some time ago but I'm still reluctant because I don't know the extend of the workload. Also, I don't have the infrastructure for digital art, so I can only do "traditional" art and take photos of it. So there would be some loss in quality I guess.

What exactly do have in mind? Can you give me an example?

Every now and then I could also write some game reviews but English isn't my native language so I might give the editors a hard time.

Have a look at our last issue: https://issuu.com/avenues1/docs/avenues2020winter. As long as we can use it without getting into copyright trouble (or AVEN trouble) we can use it. And we have had people who aren't native English speakers as writers! No worries - that's why we have editors. ;) 

46 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Events like these help people who may not want to travel alone to travel, be with friends whom you've met online and widen your horizons. Purely personal, but without AVEN and international meetings I'd probably still not have a passport and never have flown. 

@Kimmie. is actually working on something like that! Since you go to a lot of meetups, would you want to write something Sky? 

17 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

I'm thinking I could write something every now and then. I actually have a fun wee true story idea based on next issues theme (of how a platonic friend discovered I was ace). Though I also answered the survey bit. Too late to start writing now, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow after I finished work.

Sweatness. Would you like to be added to the AVENues forum so that you can officially join us? 

So the 'graphic art' stuff is just background and sidebar and header images, generic things that can go with a vague theme so you don't just have a bunch of words on otherwise blank white pages, yea?

Edit: Also, would an article/story/interview about or from 'an aromantic asexual working in a sex toy store' be appropriate or have value in something like this?

AceMissBehaving

I would be interested in one of the art positions. I have a BA Hons in fine art, and have been doing design work for websites, print, and show promotion since 2002 

I have written game reviews for the last 2 issues and this time i will write a travel guide/meetup review kind of thingy. So if i can write so can you🙂

Strange-quark

*Raises hand* In addition to the drawings I've submitted, I could do proofreading (on whatever level of demandingness you want). Plus there are some poems in Open mic, but I'm a tad unsure about them. 

scarletlatitude

More specifics for the art position -- 

I mean that you will create whatever unique art you want (as long as there are no copyright issues) and we will use it to fill dead space in the issues. @kelico does the layout already, and does a pretty awesome job at it. :) I'm not sure if they are looking for extra layout help or not. Right now our dead space fillers come from free images on the internet. It would be great to have, you know, real art to use instead. ;) 

If this still interests you, @Windspiel @Scottthespy @AceMissBehaving @Katya G., let me know! 

Here is the creative submissions form, for anyone who just wants to submit art but doesn't want to join the team: https://forms.gle/HFaHhHS4uVSyMqKF9

A short intro to my interest and credential...

Bilingual, English first language, A score in college English. Aspire to write short story/fiction/novel with numerous asexual characters to raise awareness.

I would be interested in editing. English is my native language, and I've been annoying people by constantly correcting their spelling and grammar for about seven years!

Vincent Marie

Regarding artistic contributions, I'd be glad to help if you have any need for expressive, stylized cartoons.

21 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

Sweatness. Would you like to be added to the AVENues forum so that you can officially join us? 

Yeah, why not. Got a 1st draft of it (though not too sure if it's too long 🤣)

I could also do some game reviews, but don't want to step on @Kimmie.'s toes (or @Windspiel if they join in too) so maybe being part of it can help avoid that.

scarletlatitude
6 hours ago, Vincent Marie said:

Regarding artistic contributions, I'd be glad to help if you have any need for expressive, stylized cartoons.

We could definitely add a cartoon area! Would you be interested in doing one for each issue?

scarletlatitude
11 hours ago, KathyHoh said:

I can do writer or editor. 

4 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

7 hours ago, SpaceEll said:

I would be interested in editing. English is my native language, and I've been annoying people by constantly correcting their spelling and grammar for about seven years!

Having you all added to our forum :) 

Vincent Marie
4 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

We could definitely add a cartoon area! Would you be interested in doing one for each issue?

I'd be glad to. I would just need to know if there is a preferred theme or topic for the issue. I could also do a cartoon as an illustration if needed.

1 hour ago, Vincent Marie said:

I'd be glad to. I would just need to know if there is a preferred theme or topic for the issue...

:) Cool! Yes; each issue has a different theme (see past issues, for examples).

7 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

I could also do some game reviews, but don't want to step on @Kimmie.'s toes (or @Windspiel if they join in too) so maybe being part of it can help avoid that.

You would not step on my toes. 🙂

I would love to help editing. If I'm not too junior on this site to be of help.

15 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

I mean that you will create whatever unique art you want (as long as there are no copyright issues) and we will use it to fill dead space in the issues. @kelico does the layout already, and does a pretty awesome job at it. :) I'm not sure if they are looking for extra layout help or not. Right now our dead space fillers come from free images on the internet. It would be great to have, you know, real art to use instead. ;) 

If this still interests you, @Windspiel @Scottthespy @AceMissBehaving @Katya G., let me know! 

Here is the creative submissions form, for anyone who just wants to submit art but doesn't want to join the team: https://forms.gle/HFaHhHS4uVSyMqKF9

Do any of you have InDesign and have worked with it before? If so, that would be a plus as it would mean I could have some help doing the layout when I need it! : )

Janus the Fox

I have a basic Adobe Suite and could upgrade for InDesign.

I can help with layout or errors,  otherwise I could help or advice with any digital distribution or maybe if such these AVENues leaflets need to be or could be saved for different purposes like backup, archiving and any need for social media distribution.

I guess that could be editor though it’s a more formal information communication/multimedia position that’s not being asked for here.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, scarletlatitude said:

Yes, I am still interested and I'm ready to join the team as an artist. Unfortunately, I can't help you with InDesign because it wouldn't run on my operating system.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:56 PM, scarletlatitude said:

Make art (any kind that can be publishable online) to add to our issues.

I just read "that can be punishable online". 

think that disqualifies me for proof reading... 😅

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I say keep adding me, but each time I get called away with work.  For now I'm open 8am-11 on computer and evening on phone.  So add me again. This may change with a possible career opportunity I applied for with the US government. 

Archived