Sexual jokes?

ConfusedTeen.

ConfusedTeen.

Hello people of AVEN, 

so this is probably a dumb question but if you’re asexual can you find sex jokes funny? I’m pretty sure I’m ace but I laugh at/make jokes like ‘that’s what she said’ all the time, what does this mean? What are your opinions on sexual jokes? As I said this is most definitely a dumb question but I’m curious so whatever. 🙃

Edited by ConfusedTeen.
  • Like 1

Sure thing. I do find them funny - if I get them. Truth be told, more often than not I plain don't catch on until much later because my mind is likely literally anywhere other than on sex.

ConfusedTeen.

Cool beans, I know it was a random question but it was bugging me so thanks for your help guys! 

3 minutes ago, weird elf said:

Sure thing. I do find them funny - if I get them. Truth be told, more often than not I plain don't catch on until much later because my mind is likely literally anywhere other than on sex.

I’m sexual and often don’t catch innuendos until they’re pointed out! Just a matter of humour types, I think.

• Like 1

I don't like most sex jokes because it offends people, we live in a new era...but if it's from Amy Schumer, omg, she is a funny comedienne, she is the only exception for jokes! Just my opinion though!

I'm probably responsible for most of them 😋😋

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

I'm ace, sex repulsed but one of the most dirty minded bastards in our friend group.

• Like 3
On 2/16/2020 at 9:49 AM, ConfusedTeen. said:

so this is probably a dumb question but if you’re asexual can you find sex jokes funny? I’m pretty sure I’m ace but I laugh at/make jokes like ‘that’s what she said’ all the time, what does this mean?

Your just trying to fit in with your current peer group at the time.   I have found myself in the same situation trying to go with flow in the conversation and laugh when you really don't fully understand or have a reference with what is being said.   

Janus the Fox

Funnier the more outlandish such the content could be .

Guest xAveryx

@CBC yeah i know but i don't see it as an offense then. I mostly feel flattered if people ask me out even though i can't act on it.

That's a reason why I don't feel like I'm "fully" ace. I like to flirt as long as everything is casual and I guess my mindset wants to be allo but my body is ace..

I do enjoy sexual humor. I tend to enjoy more off color content, which frequently involves sexual jokes, and I enjoy them. Interestingly, I don't enjoy romantic humor, which I guess just isn't as funny on a third grade level.

See, romantic humor isn't funny, or it would be better known. I'm basically referring to jokes or bits around a relationship or crush or whatever. It doesn't come off as funny.

A lot of the comedy people I follow online have been in their late 20s- early 30s, and dating and relationship humor is insanely common. It is annoying.

I seem to be the only one, but... I never really understood, what's so funny about sex. To me sex is not a funny topic.🤷‍♀️

I especially hate it, when guys twist my words to make it seem like I said something sexual, when I didn't. When that happens I feel like they are blaming me for their disgusting sexualized behaviour… (Or however you call that.) But perhaps this doesn't fall under "jokes" anymore.

I make them all the time. In fact a lot of the ace people I know are the dirtiest-minded people in my group of friends!

I guess to me all sex is kinda weird and ridiculous. So making jokes out of it is quite... liberating. It normalises it and makes it something I'm more comfortable talking about, even though I don't actually want to do it. 

• Like 3
coelacanthiformes
On 2/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, AnneBonny159 said:

I make them all the time. In fact a lot of the ace people I know are the dirtiest-minded people in my group of friends!

I guess to me all sex is kinda weird and ridiculous. So making jokes out of it is quite... liberating. It normalises it and makes it something I'm more comfortable talking about, even though I don't actually want to do it. 

This is actually me with my friends! I think your identity is still valid if you make those kinds of jokes. It makes them even funnier for me because I cannot imagine what it would be like to have sex.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, IceQueenn said:

I don't like them.

Thanks, me neither.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:20 PM, Zagadka said:

See, romantic humor isn't funny, or it would be better known. I'm basically referring to jokes or bits around a relationship or crush or whatever. It doesn't come off as funny.

Well, I think the reason why sex jokes commonly make people laugh is because they are about a very secretive topic which however involves surprisingly much status anxiety. We don't wanna talk about our sexual activities, but we want everyone to know we're not loosers. Or we are worried we might be loosers, cos we're not having it, so we tell and laugh about jokes to show everyone that we still know about it.

Whether someone is successful in their romance or not, we usually tell that as a story, not as a joke. Whether someone is successful in their sexual attempts, is something which is irrelevant for a story and meant to be kept private but instead is bragged about in the open. Btw, why do we often dwell in romantic dramas, but never (?) in sexual dramas? I don't mean movies about sexual abuse, but rather like: oh, they met and kissed and hugged, and it looked so good for person A, but neither A nor person B eventually could come. Probably because, romance is storytelling, sexual entertainment is probably either about enjoying a feeling over a stretch of time, or getting to some point, so the point is important. The point is not present in romance in the same way.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, Cat7 said:

I seem to be the only one, but... I never really understood, what's so funny about sex. To me sex is not a funny topic.🤷‍♀️

Yea, I don't know if I'm even convinced myself by my own explanation just now. Tbh I DO laugh at sex jokes, or at least, I COULD laugh if I let my self go to laugh, which I normally don't with most jokes, cos I'm a very sincere person. But I don't like the fact that I laugh at sex jokes, I don't like the fact that sex jokes are all around us, and that it's tolerated by society.

I usually prove my case by stating that sex is something meant to be kept between my partner and me, and when we do something, I wouldn't want to start thinking about that funny joke that Charlie Harper made in 2 & 1/2 Men the other day. That man, and even more so, the buddies around me who I know have seen it too and retold it in our pentry at work, those people have NOTHING to do with me and my partner in an intimate moment.

I think sex jokes are cheap. They usually bring forth extensive laughter for very little investment of intellect. I really prefer when talented people make jokes that REALLY are funny by themselves, not just because they are about a double moral topic. Then I'll allow myself to laugh.