Interesting article about relationships

יעל

LOL 😂 It kind of runs counter to the adage that you should “marry up”. Never quite figured out how both sides could go “up” unless each partner is selecting a specific attribute in their partner that is better than theirs. Thankfully I never had to deal with it all. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a classic case of internalized sexism to me. Women want to be respected, but they don't know how to get that from men without compromising their own values. It's difficult to be a feminist when you're attracted to straight cisgender men, since that's the demographic that tends to be sexist.

I think the women in the article need to learn to hold themselves and their own values in higher respect. They need to realize that if a man makes them feel like they need to compromise their values or the man can't be fully trusted, then that man is evidently not the one they should be dating. Giving in to the dating pressure is only going to hurt them in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
brbdogsonfire
On 3/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, Nanju said:

It's difficult to be a feminist when you're attracted to straight cisgender men, since that's the demographic that tends to be sexist.

Is it? That sounds like a sexist baseless assertion to me.

Are straight women incapable of having their own personal values that they stick to? 

Are gay women unable to be sexist against men? It's not like their a community known for being anti man or anything.

Gay men can't be sexist? Have you ever talked to a gay man about how they view gender roles? I've talked to many gay men that hate women sadly.

Nope straight men are the primary group that does this!

Edited to correct grammar and spelling

Idk if I read the whole article or not as I had difficulties loading the page and I closed it before it crashed my PC. Yes, I have a boat anchor for a PC. Perhaps it's why I'm wondering :

On 3/10/2020 at 9:46 PM, Nanju said:

I think the women in the article need to learn to hold themselves and their own values in higher respect. They need to realize that if a man makes them feel like they need to compromise their values or the man can't be fully trusted, then that man is evidently not the one they should be dating. Giving in to the dating pressure is only going to hurt them in the long run.

What do you mean by giving in to the dating pressure?

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, Howard said:

Idk if I read the whole article or not as I had difficulties loading the page and I closed it before it crashed my PC. Yes, I have a boat anchor for a PC. Perhaps it's why I'm wondering :

What do you mean by giving in to the dating pressure?

By "dating pressure" I mean that a lot of straight women (or people who date in general) seem to believe that they should compromise and accommodate the other person's beliefs in order to have a successful relationship, even if the other person believes in things that are demeaning to women. This is how a lot of toxic relationships happen.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, brbdogsonfire said:

Is it? That sounds like a sexist baseless assertion to me.

Are straight women incapable of having their own personal values that they stick to? 

Are gay women unable to be sexist against men? It's not like their a community known for being anti man or anything.

Gay men can't be sexist? Have you ever talked to a gay man about how they view gender roles? I've talked to many gay men that hate women sadly.

Nope straight men are the primary group that does this!

Edited to correct grammar and spelling

It's not a matter of identity, it's a matter of privilege. The further up the ladder you go in terms of privilege, the less likely a group is going to sympathize with other groups when it comes to discrimination. It is historically proven that power has largely been in the hands of straight white men. Does this mean that other groups are incapable of being oppressors? No, of course not. Does this mean that straight white men automatically racist, sexist, etc? No, of course not. But there is a greater potential for that to be the case simply because of how history played out and how privileged communities tend to exclude those they deem to be "other."

I'm sorry that this was your takeaway from my post.

Archived