Polyromantic?

Jarynrb

Okay, so a while ago I had found both asexuality and polysexual/romantic as my identity and stuck with it, but then I dropped being polyromantic because like no one ever talks about it and people keep saying its the same as polyamory, which it's not, its the attraction to many genders but not all, whereas polyamory is loving multiple people at once (hence the prefix poly for both) Recently it's come back into my mind because when trying to label my romantic identity I kept switching between Heteroromantic and panromantic. I'm romantically attracted to all genders except for cisfemales. So that makes it seem like I should be heteroromantic, but like I'm still attracted to say like non binary's or genderfluid people too. I don't know if I really have a question, I'm more just venting. So what's your opinion on polysexual/romantic. Should it technically be considered the same thing as polyamory/or that it should just fall under being pan/bi or just be switched to just say multisexual/romantic, to eradicate the confusion of them being the same thing. Or do you think it should still remain it's own identity? Sorry if what I said made zero sense whatsoever. 

As you said, polyromanticism gets confused with polyamory, so very few people use the term. More modern versions of bi define it as two or more genders, so I’m guessing most people who are polyromantic go with biromantic (unless they’re also polyamorous).

Well if you're are attracted to everything but cisfemales, then there's no label orientation wise to describe you. Your romantic orientation describes who you're attracted to. Not how that attraction works nor how many people you can be attracted to. I would simply not ruminate on it any longer.

Writer In The Forest

I have the same problem, but I'm proud of my orientation (Not saying you aren't/weren't! Very sorry, I just realized that sounded bad 😓) and have never felt like biromantic fits me because it's widely defined/taken as just girls and boys. So I just roll with it and explain to people who don't know the difference (because they are very different) though I have found that a surprising number of people I've met actually know, which is great since it means it's getting to be more widely known. 

Basically, what I'm saying is to go with whatever feels right for you. By definition, polyromantic sounds the most similar to your situation, but if you don't like it, use something else. Whatever works for you. 😊

18 hours ago, KrysLost said:

Well if you're are attracted to everything but cisfemales, then there's no label orientation wise to describe you.

Polyromantic would be that label. It's not about how many people you are attracted to. :)  It's being attracted to multiple, but not all genders.

18 hours ago, Jarynrb said:

Should it technically be considered the same thing as polyamory/or

In my opinion no, because they are completely different things that happen to have a similar name.

18 hours ago, Jarynrb said:

should just fall under being pan/bi or just be switched to just say multisexual/romantic, to eradicate the confusion of them being the same thing.

that might be handy, yes. Switching the name of polysexual/romantic to be less like polyamory to avoid confusion seems like a good idea, but easier said than done. 

Do you think you are going to identify as multisexual instead?

you could also just identify as queer and leave it at that. That's always the easiest and vague-est answer.

CelesteAdAstra

I also identify as polyromantic and I get how annoying the similarity between these two words is since I'm very monogamous and don't want anyone to mistake me as polyamorous. That's why I keep switching between poly, bi and heteroflexible.  I'm mostly attracted to men and I picture myself with a male partner, so I sometimes wonder if I'm even "queer enough" to use those other terms even though attraction to other genders can occasionally happen.

It's not like the question comes up very often though - I don't really talk about these things with RL people.

Archived