Vice — What it’s Like Identifying as Asexual on Valentine’s Day

Homer

Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate love, but usually within the confines of sexual intimacy. Rarely do notions of filial love, friendship, and self-love fall under that umbrella. So for a lot of people, the holiday is a reminder of the unwavering expectations that society has on relationships — that they be between a cisgender, monogamous, man and woman.

Feb 13, 2020 — https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/y3mb57/asexual-experience-valentines-day-celebrate

I like the hunger and food analogy. It seems like a pretty interesting way to explain it and very relatable too. 

Phantasmal Fingers

For me the hunger analogy doesn't work. I do get hungry. 

I would say that being ace is a bit like not playing golf. It's not really possible to explain to a golfer - in golfing terms - why I don't play golf. So the question 'What's it like not having sex?' is a bit like the question 'What's it like not driving off the first tee?' I can't tell the golfer in golfing terms what it's like never driving off the first tee. I just need the golfer to acknowledge the simple fact that some people never do that. 

I have nothing against golf or golfers. I see nothing wrong with their playing golf if that's what they want to do. But I agree with Mark Twain - for me, golf is a good walk - spoiled. 🙂

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I simply say "I've never dated, got into a physical romantic relationship or never will marry anyone and never will. I'll never let anyone touch me, sleep with me, live with me and never experienced sexual or romantic attraction." 

I also say I'm extremely happy alone, I'm not stressed, depressed, worried, or lonely and I'm mentally sane alone, if I were to get into all the  sappy nasty stuff others expect me to be into it'll all go down the drain.

If they do not understand it, I try explaining the best I can on why I'll never get into a relationship and never desired one.

I just never want one and do not "need" to try one. To me it's unnatural, I know one will have very negative affects on my being so I avoid one and do not like valentines day, I never have liked valentines day.

Archived