How do I stop feeling like something is wrong with me?

Moonshadow2227

Moonshadow2227

So I know that nothing's wrong with me, and that I shouldn't feel this way, but I don't know how to stop feeling this way. It's just been ingrained in my mind. Any ideas?

Care to elaborate at all? First, ask yourself these things and write out what that is just to yourself maybe. I have tried that. 

AceMissBehaving

Honestly probably just time. It can take a while to dismantle the notions of what we grow up thinking we should be.

Hanging out on these forums, or places like this helps with realizing there are a lot of people who feel just like you do, and help to normalize those feelings. It can make a pretty sizable difference for some folks 

perhaps doing things that feel correct and feel like they should be correct would help when you have a disparity between those feelings. something like exercise, or something creative, something that gives you a taste of "yes I am operating correctly"

Whore*of*Mensa

That's a really hard way to feel, and I can definitely relate. It is helpful to realise others feel the same way as you, but I would say that it's also helpful sometimes to move the focus away from whatever you feel is 'wrong' or 'different' about you and focus on positive things about yourself. Things that make you feel good about yourself. 

A bit like the way your brain is fresher after a sleep, and things seem easier to work out, sometimes taking a break from thinking about a problem, then coming back to it later, can make a huge difference. (I know it's easier said than done).

Also, realising that there really is no normal, we are all individuals and all equally messy on the inside at times. Even people who seem to conform to the 'norm' (they probably don't)! These are things that help me.

Moonshadow2227
10 hours ago, gisiebob said:

perhaps doing things that feel correct and feel like they should be correct would help when you have a disparity between those feelings. something like exercise, or something creative, something that gives you a taste of "yes I am operating correctly"

Thank you, I'll try that.

I struggle with feeling like this too, and when it's really getting to me, I find the best thing to do is get on this site and read some posts, to remind myself that I'm not alone, or broken, or wrong, or anything like that. It really helps me to see that other people have the same thoughts and feelings as I do. 

Archived