What operating systems do you use?

What operating systems do you use?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What operating systems do you use on your compters and/or mobile devices?

• MS DOS
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 2000/ME
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • openSUSE
    • Linux Debian
    • Linux Ubuntu (including Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu)
    • Linux Mint
    • Arch Linux
    • Google Chrome OS
    • iOS
    • Android
    • MacOS
    • something else

This poll is closed to new votes

everywhere and nowhere

By the way, does anyone else use a mobile phone which is not anything considered a smartphone?

My phone is a 20-year-old model, of course I have no idea what could be the name of its system. But it's fairly primitive, it can only do one task at once. I remember when I was about 14 years old and while I was staying at my granny's home in Włocławek for the summer holiday, my father upgraded our computer from DOS to early Windows. I asked him: OK, so what's so special about those Windows? He said that you work in windows and I thought: but it's obvious from the name... Only years later did I truly realise what it means: that a system such as Windows can perform several tasks at the same time. DOS couldn't and a Nokia 6210 can't either.

By the way, as for games - I still prefer good old games from the DOS era or modern ones which are kept in the same style - they run under Windows without any emulators, but have the same beautiful pixel graphics, no ugly 3D...

Example 1 - "Legend of Kyrandia", 1992

587139-the-legend-of-kyrandia-dos-screen

Example 2 - "Foxtail", 2018 (Ukrainian version)

935566-foxtail-windows-screenshot-corsak

Example 3 - "The Crimson Diamond", upcoming

crimson-006.png

It's a modern Windows game, but the palette is real 1980s EGA - just 16 colours.

I use Linux on all my desktops and laptops. Mostly Debian, but also one installation of Ubuntu and Arch Linux each. Phone is Android.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:54 AM, SithEmpress said:

I'm pretty computer illiterate, so Win10 and Android. No idea why people hate them so much.

For me Win10 has some critical flaws that don't exist on Linux:

• You don't have full control over what your windows system is doing. Especially Windows 10 runs many background processes that collect your data without your knowledge and is hard/impossible to shut these processes down.
  • The updated policy is just awful. You have no control if you want to update your system or not. On top of that the updates themselves are often infested with bugs. Last year a update caused bug in the search function that  caused the CPU to overheat. If you use the Home and Professional edition you're basically a beta tester for the updates.
  • The license mess is annoying. This is not specific to Win10 but to all Microsoft systems. The strict license is also a problem for spotting security weaknesses because there is no one who can look into the code of the Windows Kernel.
  • Speaking of Microsoft systems in general. They are insecure because they allow the installation of programs and applications without any kind of limitations. Viruses exploit that weakness and install themselves onto your system. You might not even notice that.
  • Windows runs unstable. It crashes from time to time without any reason. It gets slower over time because it puts the data just somewhere on your hard drive. That is reason why you need to defragment your system. On top of that the system produces massive amount of data itself. Don't ask me where these data come from but they make the system slower too. To remove that data rubbish you software like the Ccleaner.

20 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

By the way, does anyone else use a mobile phone which is not anything considered a smartphone?

I use both a smartphone and an older mobile. If I  hadn't gotten my smartphone as a birthday present I wouldn't have ever gotten one. I might have to add that I probably don't use my smartphone as it is intended. I just use it as a camera and as a portable music player. I don't use it for the internet and stuff like that. In my opinion smartphones are overrated. Yes, they have some useful gadgets  but they are so bulky and damageable compared to older mobiles. I really like the simplicity of the older mobiles. You don't get flooded with stuff you don't need.

18 hours ago, twetzel59 said:

I use Linux on all my desktops and laptops. Mostly Debian, but also one installation of Ubuntu and Arch Linux each. Phone is Android.

What are your experiences with Arch Linux? It has the reputation of being more complex than any Debian-based system. Maybe I'll consider to install Arch Linux in the future after the recent Mint version gets obsolete.

Both of my PC's and my laptop are Windows 10.  My phone is Android.

J. van Deijck

Android on my phone & tablet, and,  sadly, Win10 on my computer.

I kind if miss Windows XP sometimes. It seemed to be the most in order in some way.

Some of the settings menus in Win10 are just... painful. The network settings especially are horrible. I know you don't have to manually assign IP as much these days, but if you have to, good freaking luck.

2 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Some of the settings menus in Win10 are just... painful. The network settings especially are horrible. I know you don't have to manually assign IP as much these days, but if you have to, good freaking luck.

Why? 😮

The ethernet properties panel (including setting IPs) still looks exactly the same as it has since Windows 95! (I mean, color scheme and such aside)

I mean, there's also the more convenient network options pane that also allows you to set IPs, but the point being that the old way still works just fine if you don't like the new page :D

The legacy control panel still exists, but the Win10 default one allows you to do absolutely nothing.

29 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

The legacy control panel still exists, but the Win10 default one allows you to do absolutely nothing.

Well, I mean, it does have a button to manually assign your IP address... :)

Spoiler

edit-ip-address-settings_windows-10.jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, Windspiel said:

What are your experiences with Arch Linux? It has the reputation of being more complex than any Debian-based system. Maybe I'll consider to install Arch Linux in the future after the recent Mint version gets obsolete.

Yes, it is more complicated than Debian, mostly because they don't try to make installing it easy. If you have a few hours to do a custom install on the command line, you will have a slightly smaller and leaner system in the end, though.

I use Arch on my slower computers with less storage space, like netbooks.

• 2 weeks later...
fooledbysecrecy

windows 10 and it's even worse than vista imo. my tablet is android i think, i'm really useless with smart things.😅

I use Windows XP on my desktop computer and Windows 7 on laptop. :) Android on my phone, which I use primarily for calls, SMS, schedule and camera.

Soul Searcher

Windows 10 on my laptop. Along with Manjaro Linux which is derived from Arch Linux.

All the mobiles I've ever owned were android. I wanted an iPhone but it was too expensive for my budget so I got a used S9+ in very good condition for about 300 dollars. I'm happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop is Windows 10 while my phone is iOS.

Still pretty used to Windows 7, though, since that's what I've used for the longest time and still see in school libraries.

In the future, when penguins take over the world, I plan on getting a Windows 9 laptop.

Windows xp on an old desktop that stays off line and windows 10 on my other desktop. I've used ubuntu in the past which was really good but it doesn't run my graphic design software.

One person on here claims to still use windows 98. Really??? You missed out Windows 95 and 3.1 btw.

On February 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM, Iam9man said:

I do fondly remember MS-DOS 🥰

Have you ever played Gorillas? I think I found out about it during my time in a high school computer lab full of old x86 machines when I was supposed to be using computer-aided design for a shop class project. To me, winning wasn't the goal; mine was to get as many war/nuclear bananas and use them to cause as much destruction as possible. It's kind of amusing how one can section a building horizontally with a war banana and it remains standing. Then adjust the trajectory and/or velocity a little, fling a nuclear banana through the gap and vaporize the building on the other side, taking out the other gorilla with it if that's where it happens to be standing.

Oh, and I have only one PC on which I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I have 10 Pro still sealed but I'm reluctant to install it on such a gutless PC. Besides, I'm familiar with 7 Pro and like it.

8 hours ago, Jon A. said:

Have you ever played Gorillas? I think I found out about it during my time in a high school computer lab full of old x86 machines when I was supposed to be using computer-aided design for a shop class project. To me, winning wasn't the goal; mine was to get as many war/nuclear bananas and use them to cause as much destruction as possible. It's kind of amusing how one can section a building horizontally with a war banana and it remains standing. Then adjust the trajectory and/or velocity a little, fling a nuclear banana through the gap and vaporize the building on the other side, taking out the other gorilla with it if that's where it happens to be standing.

No sadly. Sounds amazing! 😊🤣

Ms. Carolynne

I'm using Windows 10 and Android atm.

I kind of miss Windows 7, it was a pretty nice OS. Windows 10 just feels kind of cluttered and bloated in comparison.

5 hours ago, Iam9man said:

No sadly. Sounds amazing! 😊🤣

It's easy to get hold of, it's included with DOS 5+ and has since been ported to other platforms. Just Google "QBASIC Gorillas" (no quotes needed) and you'll find it in nothing flat. 😎

Go nuclear banana!

4 hours ago, Emery. said:

Linux users unite!

That's never gonna happen! 90% of Linux users seem to be religious about what the "one true distro everyone should use" is! xD

(It's Ubuntu btw. *whet's his knife, waiting for anyone disagreeing* )

13 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

That's never gonna happen! 90% of Linux users seem to be religious about what the "one true distro everyone should use" is! xD

(It's Ubuntu btw. *whet's his knife, waiting for anyone disagreeing* )

I’d have to try distros meant for desktop computers such as Mint or OpenSUSE to fairly defend Ubuntu. 

I currently use Windows 10 on my laptop, Scientific Linux on my office desktop computer and android on my phone. I am also familiar with iOS and MacOS systems.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SkyTuneRein said:

What if I told you...

Ubuntu is Debian based.

😎

(I find Redhat/Fedora is better than Ubuntu)

I mean, macOS is also based on Unix - doesn't make macOS any less trashy.

One's ancestors don't determine someone's life - true for people as well as operating systems! ;)

2 minutes ago, Dreamer23 said:

I mean, macOS is also based on Unix - doesn't make it any less trashy.

One's ancestors don't determine someone's life - true for people as well as operating systems! ;)

I would say Unix is a better system than macOS regardless, while Debian is also a great system to build from. Ubuntu on the other hand while easy to use and maintain, is less stable than Centos. I prefer Debian systems for PC's and learning Linux, but others for more specific or technical purposes.

• 3 months later...

Linux Mint on my personal laptop.

Windows 7 at work.

Windows 10 on a desktop I got (with windows) from my workplace.

Android on phone.

I used to use Ubuntu at home until the default desktop environment switched from Gnome to Unity. Unity was a horrible, unintuitive, unusable, piece-of-garbage abomination that must have been designed by Satan himself, and I barely managed to get through it well enough to find and download a replacement. I've heard it's improved a lot since then (and I think Ubuntu even stopped using it at some point?), but I've never looked back from my Linux Mint Cinnamon. 

Of course, there's Windows 10 for work, and it's convenient to have a Windows 10 laptop at home when I need it. Android (stock, not rooted) for mobile. Fortunately, neither Windows nor Android uses Unity.

I've seen just enough of Windows 8 to be glad I never had to use it. I skipped straight from 7 to 10 both at home and at work. But as bad as Windows 8 was, at least it didn't use Unity.

Have I mentioned that I didn't like the Unity interface? Because I didn't. It was bad. I'm still scarred.

Archived