Windspiel

What operating systems do you use?

What operating systems do you use?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What operating systems do you use on your compters and/or mobile devices?

• MS DOS
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 2000/ME
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • openSUSE
    • Linux Debian
    • Linux Ubuntu (including Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu)
    • Linux Mint
    • Arch Linux
    • Google Chrome OS
    • iOS
    • Android
    • MacOS
    • something else

Nowhere Girl

By the way, does anyone else use a mobile phone which is not anything considered a smartphone?

My phone is a 20-year-old model, of course I have no idea what could be the name of its system. But it's fairly primitive, it can only do one task at once. I remember when I was about 14 years old and while I was staying at my granny's home in Włocławek for the summer holiday, my father upgraded our computer from DOS to early Windows. I asked him: OK, so what's so special about those Windows? He said that you work in windows and I thought: but it's obvious from the name... Only years later did I truly realise what it means: that a system such as Windows can perform several tasks at the same time. DOS couldn't and a Nokia 6210 can't either.

By the way, as for games - I still prefer good old games from the DOS era or modern ones which are kept in the same style - they run under Windows without any emulators, but have the same beautiful pixel graphics, no ugly 3D...

Example 1 - "Legend of Kyrandia", 1992

587139-the-legend-of-kyrandia-dos-screen

Example 2 - "Foxtail", 2018 (Ukrainian version)

935566-foxtail-windows-screenshot-corsak

Example 3 - "The Crimson Diamond", upcoming

crimson-006.png

It's a modern Windows game, but the palette is real 1980s EGA - just 16 colours.

• Like 1

twetzel59

I use Linux on all my desktops and laptops. Mostly Debian, but also one installation of Ubuntu and Arch Linux each. Phone is Android.

• Like 1

Windspiel
On 2/17/2020 at 4:54 AM, SithEmpress said:

I'm pretty computer illiterate, so Win10 and Android. No idea why people hate them so much.

For me Win10 has some critical flaws that don't exist on Linux:

• You don't have full control over what your windows system is doing. Especially Windows 10 runs many background processes that collect your data without your knowledge and is hard/impossible to shut these processes down.
  • The updated policy is just awful. You have no control if you want to update your system or not. On top of that the updates themselves are often infested with bugs. Last year a update caused bug in the search function that  caused the CPU to overheat. If you use the Home and Professional edition you're basically a beta tester for the updates.
  • The license mess is annoying. This is not specific to Win10 but to all Microsoft systems. The strict license is also a problem for spotting security weaknesses because there is no one who can look into the code of the Windows Kernel.
  • Speaking of Microsoft systems in general. They are insecure because they allow the installation of programs and applications without any kind of limitations. Viruses exploit that weakness and install themselves onto your system. You might not even notice that.
  • Windows runs unstable. It crashes from time to time without any reason. It gets slower over time because it puts the data just somewhere on your hard drive. That is reason why you need to defragment your system. On top of that the system produces massive amount of data itself. Don't ask me where these data come from but they make the system slower too. To remove that data rubbish you software like the Ccleaner.

20 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

By the way, does anyone else use a mobile phone which is not anything considered a smartphone?

I use both a smartphone and an older mobile. If I  hadn't gotten my smartphone as a birthday present I wouldn't have ever gotten one. I might have to add that I probably don't use my smartphone as it is intended. I just use it as a camera and as a portable music player. I don't use it for the internet and stuff like that. In my opinion smartphones are overrated. Yes, they have some useful gadgets  but they are so bulky and damageable compared to older mobiles. I really like the simplicity of the older mobiles. You don't get flooded with stuff you don't need.

18 hours ago, twetzel59 said:

I use Linux on all my desktops and laptops. Mostly Debian, but also one installation of Ubuntu and Arch Linux each. Phone is Android.

What are your experiences with Arch Linux? It has the reputation of being more complex than any Debian-based system. Maybe I'll consider to install Arch Linux in the future after the recent Mint version gets obsolete.

Drwho314

I run void linux it is a rolling release distro.

you can find more info at http://www.voidlinux.org

Sam M

Both of my PC's and my laptop are Windows 10.  My phone is Android.

Jelle van der Lee

Android on my phone & tablet, and,  sadly, Win10 on my computer.

I kind if miss Windows XP sometimes. It seemed to be the most in order in some way.

Zagadka

Some of the settings menus in Win10 are just... painful. The network settings especially are horrible. I know you don't have to manually assign IP as much these days, but if you have to, good freaking luck.

Dreamer23
2 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Some of the settings menus in Win10 are just... painful. The network settings especially are horrible. I know you don't have to manually assign IP as much these days, but if you have to, good freaking luck.

Why? 😮

The ethernet properties panel (including setting IPs) still looks exactly the same as it has since Windows 95! (I mean, color scheme and such aside)

I mean, there's also the more convenient network options pane that also allows you to set IPs, but the point being that the old way still works just fine if you don't like the new page :D

Zagadka

The legacy control panel still exists, but the Win10 default one allows you to do absolutely nothing.

Dreamer23
29 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

The legacy control panel still exists, but the Win10 default one allows you to do absolutely nothing.

Well, I mean, it does have a button to manually assign your IP address... :)

Spoiler

edit-ip-address-settings_windows-10.jpg