What operating systems do you use?

What operating systems do you use?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What operating systems do you use on your compters and/or mobile devices?

• MS DOS
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 2000/ME
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • openSUSE
    • Linux Debian
    • Linux Ubuntu (including Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu)
    • Linux Mint
    • Arch Linux
    • Google Chrome OS
    • iOS
    • Android
    • MacOS
    • something else

This poll is closed to new votes

The support of Windows 7 ended recently, so I wonder: What operating systems do you use on your computers and/pr mobile devices?

I use Windows 7 on a 10 year old computer only so I can play Civilization 4. This computer has no connection to the internet of course. On my Laptop I replaced Linux Xubuntu with Linux Mint recently. I planed to install Windows XP as a virtual machine but the hardware of my laptop is too weak for that. On my smartphone I use Android but I'm not happy with it and I hope to find an open source alternative.

The computer I've got at the moment has Windows 7 on it. Since this only a pretty general use sorta thing it's fine for now. I've also got an emulator on it that's running Mac OS 8.6 on it.

I have Win10 on both my PC and my laptop, though I've strongly considered switching back to Linux, since I don't play as many games as I used to, and the environment suits me better. My phone is Android, begrudgingly. There just isn't much choice.

RoseGoesToYale

Got a mac laptop, a ThinkPad with Linux Mint on it, and the desktop I built, dual boot Win7 and Win2000.

You forgot macOS!

I do fondly remember MS-DOS 🥰

17 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

You forgot macOS!

Oops, I thought it would be that same thing like iOS because both are made by Apple. I have no clue about Apple products, sorry. Is it worth to edit the poll (is that even possible)?

Edit:

Never mind I already changed "something else" to MacOS and I think it is even accurate.

Linux Mint on the laptop that's currentiy in pieces awaiting replacement parts, Ubuntu on the workstation PC, Android tablet because all the other options sucked even more. ^^°

All computers Windows 10 

Both mobiles Android 

My phone and personal computer are iOS and MacOS. My computer at work is Windows 10.

Janus the Fox

I run a few Virtural Machines that has Win96, 98, XP and has used Ubuntu as a virtualization tool.  Otherwise I have used WinVista, 7, 8, 8.1 and currently use Win10, iOS, iPadOS and a small number of Android versions.  Various uses is any real terms use those older ones.

Win 10.

In not so unrelated news, fuck Win 10.

You've just reminded me that I'm still using the free windows 10 iso. I should by a key at some stage lmao.

2 hours ago, Windspiel said:

I use Windows 7 on a 10 year old computer only so I can play Civilization 4.

I play Civ 4 on my laptop, which is running windows 10.

8 minutes ago, daveb said:

I play Civ 4 on my laptop, which is running windows 10.

Were you able to install Civ 4 without any problems? Because I had to erase a defective update that produced a bug with the copy protection system. Even the 3.19 patch of Civ 4 didn't fix the problem. After I removed the update the game worked as it should.

3 minutes ago, Windspiel said:

Were you able to install Civ 4 without any problems? Because I had to erase a defective update that produced a bug with the copy protection system. Even the 3.19 patch of Civ 4 didn't fix the problem. After I removed the update the game worked as it should.

I don't recall having any problems with it. I run it from Steam, if that makes any difference.

The computer I use has Windows 10. I don't have a phone right now but the phone that I had was an Android. I'm gonna get a new phone but I don't know what kind of phone it's gonna be yet.

3 minutes ago, daveb said:

I don't recall having any problems with it. I run it from Steam, if that makes any difference.

That might be it. I installed it from the "Civilization IV Complete"-DVD, released in 2009 and therefore maybe a bit outdated. Or Windows 7 just decided to lose its mind, like all Windows systems do at some point :blink:

On my private computers Debian and Lubuntu. On my work computers it's Debian and Mac OS and on the supercomputers Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Cray Linux.

I have noticed some older games do seem to, more often, have problems with Windows 7, usually 64 bit, if they're the original disk install. Steam and GOG versions tend to work more often.

2 hours ago, Windspiel said:

Oops, I thought it would be that same thing like iOS because both are made by Apple. I have no clue about Apple products, sorry. Is it worth to edit the poll (is that even possible)?

Edit:

Never mind I already changed "something else" to MacOS and I think it is even accurate.

I think iOS is Apple's OS for their tablet and phones etc where Mac OS X is their computer OS.

3 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I have noticed some older games do seem to, more often, have problems with Windows 7, usually 64 bit, if they're the original disk install.

It is weird. For example "Star Wars Republic Commando" from 2005 runs without any problems. The game had to be installed with 2 CDs, DVDs weren't even a thing. Another example: "Star Wars Battlefront II", also from 2005, installed normally. But it only works if I plug in headphones into the microphone port. If don't do that the sound card won't activate and the game crashes.

Maybe the Steam and GOG versions fixed these problems, but that is not an option for me. I don't dare to connect my old Windows 7 to the internet and I despise Windows 10.

For a while I was using Dos-box to run some older games. But I think that stopped working for me at some point (Win 10?) and I haven't pursued it since.

Windows 10 (Home PC), Ubuntu (Work Laptop), and Android (Several mobile devices; well technically two of them are Fire OS if you wanna count that fork separately)

Oh and technically I also have a Macbook (so MacOS) from work that's sitting around somewhere, but not counting that since I never use it.

I'm still running Windows 7 on both my desktop and my laptop right now. I plan to upgrade the laptop to Windows 10 first to see how that goes. My phone is an Android, but I don't use it particularly much.

Some day, either when all of the games I want to play are easy to get to run on it or when I have the time to work it out, I intend to switch to some form of Linux for my desktop (probably Ubuntu or Mint, but not necessarily). That time was not 2016, which was the last time I made the experiment. Possibly as early as next time I upgrade my computer. We'll see.

I have in the past had computers running MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, and Slackware Linux, as well as one Mac laptop.

1 hour ago, daveb said:

For a while I was using Dos-box to run some older games. But I think that stopped working for me at some point (Win 10?) and I haven't pursued it since.

That's something I'll keep in mind when/if I switch my desktop to Windows 10, then. I still use DOS-Box to run some games (mostly various Lemmings games).

Raspberry pi OS for my invention, Windows 10 (with some mods to suit my radios) for my laptop, android for my tablet, and ios for my phone.

I currently run Manjaro Mate on my PC. It does what i need it to, it's fast, it's linux. pretty solid experience.

Windows 10 for laptop, android for mobile

everywhere and nowhere

Windows 7 (64 bit version; 32 bit version on my old laptop), by choice, even though my computer is only a few years old. I'm a "technological conservative" and I don't like having to learn a new technology, I prefer to stick to ones I'm used to.

Also the purely visual aspect... I realised that a more "old-fashioned" view gives me comfort. Here's an example of my window and taskbar style... as I wrote, it's Windows 7, but with a style modified to an older version... I think this variant comes all the way back from Windows 3... And I really don't like the later variants (bright blue taskbar of Windows XP, semi-transparent windows of ordinary Windows 7...).

window-style.png

By the way, another example. The small icons on the taskbar are: Firefox, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Open Office Writer, Notebook, Paint, calculator, calendar, Sticky Notes. And the paint program I use is "Paint XP for Windows 7". I honestly have no idea how to use new Paint...

Windows 10 on PC or laptop but I rarely use those. iOS on my phone and tablet.

I've recently set up my laptop as a dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu.

My phone is an Android.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, so Win10 and Android. No idea why people hate them so much.

Archived