Is there a term for this?

Purple_Panda

Hi. I’m just wondering if there’s a term for when you can’t pin down your romantic orientation with any real certainty. 

Is that in and of itself a romantic orientation, and if so, what is the name for it? 

Thank you for all your help! 

Anthracite_Impreza
56 minutes ago, Purple_Panda said:

Is that in and of itself a romantic orientation

No, an orientation is who you're interested in. You are simply questioning, which is normal for most people at some stage.

1 hour ago, Purple_Panda said:

Hi. I’m just wondering if there’s a term for when you can’t pin down your romantic orientation with any real certainty. 

Is that in and of itself a romantic orientation, and if so, what is the name for it? 

Thank you for all your help! 

I think I have seen a term for this (or similar) but I can’t think of it. I’m guessing most people who move through questioning and still feel the way you describe just go with aromantic or panromantic, but I may be wrong.

i've heard of wtfromantic or quoiromantic - might be helpful to look that up

2 hours ago, Purple_Panda said:

Confused. Uncertain. Questioning. Undecided. Unspecified. Unconfident. Unassuming. Doubtful. Hesitant. Self-discovering. Exploring. Soul-searching.

2 hours ago, Purple_Panda said:

No. As @Anthracite_Impreza said, an orientation is a who and it’s fairly normal to not be certain, especially if you’re under 20 or so.

I'm in the same boat as you, as I'm questioning my romantic, I keep switching between being heteroromantic and panromantic, and idk, so right now your just questioning, currently I just don't really identify with either one so if you ask me my romantic identity I know what I'm attracted to but not a name so yeah lol. Questioning is totally normal and eventually you'll probably figure out how to label who you are romantically attracted to if you choose to label it at all

3 hours ago, Purple_Panda said:

Analogy alert: Imagine you're at a crossroad, but you have no idea where any of the streets are leading. Which direction is that?

@Jarynrb, thank you. I don’t know what to do next so that I can find an answer. 

Ms. Carolynne

Most people would just consider that questioning.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:51 AM, Purple_Panda said:

It'd be more of a term describing your understanding of your orientation than an orientation itself.

There is "quoiromantic", but from what I understand that's more so if you can't tell whether you experience (or are experiencing) said attraction to begin with.

Technically I'm quoisexual, but personally I don't find the term useful.

I think when you look stuff up it does often times become difficult to pin something down completely. I have discovered grey romantic in the recent months but when I look up grey romantic in comparison to demi romantic I realize that I have components of both going on. It takes a while to pin down stuff sometimes. I didn't even learn I was asexual even until I got into my 20s and my romantic orientation was in question for many years after that because I assumed I was androromantic but given the fact I don't date so often and is usually under specific circumstances if I do made me explore the posibility of grey/demi romantic xD

Archived