scotscoop.com — Aromantic and Asexual Awareness Week broadens the impact of Valentine’s Day

Homer

From Feb.16 to Feb. 22, the Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week illuminates those who identify as aromantic, asexual or anything in between.

Butterflies in people’s stomachs float around as Valentine’s Day approaches, and couples prepare to celebrate with dates, romantic gestures, and more. However, not everyone feels this same romantic attraction.

Feb 7, 2020  https://scotscoop.com/aromantic-and-asexual-awareness-week-broadens-the-impact-of-valentines-day/

#notaspectrum

Divide By Zero
On 2/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, Homer said:

#notaspectrum

What's this about?

18 minutes ago, AceViking said:

What's this about?

I thoroughly disagree with the idea of asexuality/-romanticism being a "spectrum".

Divide By Zero
On 2/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, Homer said:

#notaspectrum

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

I thoroughly disagree with the idea of asexuality/-romanticism being a "spectrum".

I don't think that's an appropriate comment for World Watch. World Watch should be about raising awareness of asexuality and aromanticism and a comment about it not being a spectrum detracts from that.

21 hours ago, Homer said:

I don’t really see how asexually and aromanticism not being a spectrum. Sexually and romanticism are both fluid. Can you explain your thought process that lead you to this conclusion. 

Phantasmal Fingers
On 2/8/2020 at 9:12 AM, Homer said:

#notaspectrum

I think that's a fair enough viewpoint. We don't all have to have exactly the same outlook. Some of us find the idea of a spectrum useful, some don't. 

What I found odd about that article was the term 'aromantic spectrum'. I can see being aro as one end of a spectrum with demi-romantic in the middle and romantic at the other end but as an aro-ace the term 'aromantic spectrum' means nothing to me. 

On 2/16/2020 at 2:51 AM, AceMax said:

I don’t really see how asexually and aromanticism not being a spectrum. Sexually and romanticism are both fluid. Can you explain your thought process that lead you to this conclusion. 

Asexuality/-romanticism = X does not happen. There's nothing spectrum-like to "x does not happen". There's just one degree of "no".

Phantasmal Fingers
17 hours ago, Homer said:

Asexuality/-romanticism = X does not happen. There's nothing spectrum-like to "x does not happen". There's just one degree of "no".

True! 

But what if no becomes maybe which becomes yes. What if you'renot entirely sure. This might have as much to do with the socio-cultural mileaux you happen to move in rather than self-doubt per se. 

45 minutes ago, Moderne Jazzhanden said:

But what if no becomes maybe which becomes yes. What if you'renot entirely sure. This might have as much to do with the socio-cultural mileaux you happen to move in rather than self-doubt per se. 

Maybe is maybe. I mean, there's a non-zero chance for me to have sex eventually and liking it. So it could go either way, though I'm not interested in exploring this area.

Yes is not no, so...

I mean. I'm open to an explanation as to how "no" can be a spectrum. So far I haven't heard any.

Phantasmal Fingers
6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Maybe is maybe. I mean, there's a non-zero chance for me to have sex eventually and liking it. So it could go either way, though I'm not interested in exploring this area.

Yes is not no, so...

But I'm aro-ace and did have sex just to see if I could experience what sexuals like. The outer 'stuff' was unpleasant but the core, as one might put it, of the inner experience was amazing the last time I did this. Which was a long time ago, back in the twentieth century. 

For me this inner experience was akin to an acid trip - perfect in its own way and therefore not needing to be repeated. If something is whole it cannot be repeated anyway, not that one would ever want to try. 

So did I 'have sex?' Well, I can say 'yes and no' to that on more than one level...

Archived