Are you willing to share your story?

JSML

How open are you about your asexuality?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Have you told anyone about your asexuality?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you openly tell people about your asexuality?

• Yes, I start the conversation
    • Yes, but only when asked
    • Yes, but I get uncomfortable talking about it and try to avoid that conversation
    • No, but I have told some people out of necessity
    • No
  3. 3. Are you more comfortable talking about your asexuality online or in person?

• I prefer online
    • Only online and anonymously
    • In person
    • Both
    • Neither
  4. 4. If asked to talk about your experience as an ace to raise awareness, how much exposure are you comfortable with?

• I'd do a face to face interview/video
    • I'd be okay with my picture and some text
    • Text only - I don't want people to see my face
    • I would share my story anonymously
    • ...I'd rather not

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm taking a class about social media design and strategy. For a project, I'm creating a brand about asexuality awareness, education, and representation and I'll be regularly posting to social media channels like Facebook. I would part of my channel to be focused on sharing stories of other people's experiences with asexuality. You can be ace yourself or you can have a relationship with someone you know who is. Those stories can be however short or long you are willing to share and depending on the person's comfort level, they can be videos, selfie pictures, just quotes, or anonymous submissions. I am just concerned about how many people would be comfortable with sharing their stories so I would like to get a better idea of who might be willing to share their story. If you don't know what to talk about, that's fine! I can provide prompts you can choose from. If you are willing to share your story, please let me know.

I'd personally have no problems sharing, as I think there's nothing to be ashamed of. However I'm not so sure (yet) about face reveals or such (though if it's on facebook where my picture is anyway, when I probably wouldn't have a problem with it) so I would most likely do it via text (or a non-video call or so), but I'd definitely share if someone was interested and asked

If there is something useful I can contribute then I will help.

Lord Jade Cross

As much as I would find it helpful to spread awareness among the general population, Im afraid of the backlash of publicly admitting being ace because Ive spent many years trying to get people off my back about these matters and judging by how people feel entitled to "help fix" me, I would be pretty much tying a noose around my neck

I'd be willing to share my experience. 

3 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

As much as I would find it helpful to spread awareness among the general population, Im afraid of the backlash of publicly admitting being ace because Ive spent many years trying to get people off my back about these matters and judging by how people feel entitled to "help fix" me, I would be pretty much tying a noose around my neck

Doing this may help many other people but I totally agree on not wanting to be judged or targeted by haters. 

Lord Jade Cross
11 minutes ago, Silence4now said:

Doing this may help many other people but I totally agree on not wanting to be judged or targeted by haters. 

I can help while here on Aven, though admitedly, I dont have any experience in the sex area as other aces have and can have a better form of helping. But I do know what its like to be an outcast amongts family, peers, etc and I can share that here

32 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

The OP offered anonymous contributions, but is that also something you're too afraid of backlash for? I understand the hesitance, I'm just curious. 

Replied to the other post, but yeah I'd be willing to share, but I don't want my image to be used anywhere. 

WanderingKate

I'm not exactly "out" to everyone in my life yet about my asexuality...but I would be more than happy to share my story anonymously. Feel free to reach out, I'm happy to help spread awareness in any way :) 

Lord Jade Cross
14 minutes ago, Sithgroundhog said:

The OP offered anonymous contributions, but is that also something you're too afraid of backlash for? I understand the hesitance, I'm just curious. 

Guess Im a little paranoid 

Chocolatastic AroAce

I'm ok with sharing through text, anonymously(or just using this username). Not sure what you want exactly. I'll try to answer what I can though.

I don't mind talking about it, but it's nothing I bring up, they would have to ask me directly or steer the conversation in a direction that makes me mention it (example: start talking about good looking people, dating etc).

I would rather not participate in anything that puts me under a spotlight, even if it's anonymous. I keep to myself.

I don't mind talking about it, in some context. I'd be perfectly willing to do interviews about my experiences (though since my asexuality hasn't really been much cause for conflict in my life, I don't know how interesting my experience would be). Someone shows interest in my feelings and opinions? Heck yeah, I'll talk about it!

The level of anonymity I'd prefer really depends on the level of detail you'd want. Me being unromanceable and some anecdotes about peoples reactions? Sure have my face and full name there. Details about autochoris, and how that works for me? Hm, maybe I'd rather use an internet handle. 

AceMissBehaving

I’m publicly out, and would be fine sharing my story and maybe even face of my partner is as comfortable with that level of exposure as I am 

5 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

Guess Im a little paranoid 

One day people will have less paranoia and fear because they will know a higher level of acceptance than the previous generations. I would be willing to be open but it doesn't just have to do with me. I have children to protect. There is every good reason for paranoia and I see people in the right situation stepping forward to do what some of us can not. 

I'm proud of my aroace identity,but i've sadly never came out.It's mostly due to my age as well as my living conditions.

My country is super conservative,and anything or anybody that doesn't fit the 'norm' (LGBTQ+ community) is looked down upon,mocked,avoided and laughed at.

I was thinking of coming out once i'm a complitely independent adult,but i'm still thinking about it...

That's why i can only really be open about myself and my feelings here on AVEN.

No, I haven't told anyone about my asexuality and have no intentions in changing that. I prefer to keep my orientation as a secret to friends and family. There is no need for them to know that I'm asexual or aro. It is just not their business. Only on AVEN I want to talk write about asexuality.

I know it is important to spread awareness but I could only do so anonymously because I'm already paranoid enough about data privacy. So I would share my story only via text, even though there is probably not much to tell about my story.

12 minutes ago, Windspiel said:

No, I haven't told anyone about my asexuality and have no intentions in changing that. I prefer to keep my orientation as a secret to friends and family. There is no need for them to know that I'm asexual or aro. It is just not their business. Only on AVEN I want to talk write about asexuality.

I know it is important to spread awareness but I could only do so anonymously because I'm already paranoid enough about data privacy. So I would share my story only via text, even though there is probably not much to tell about my story.

Your story is yours to share with whomever you wish. Everyone has different experiences. Hopefully a majority of the ones people have to offer lack the drama or trauma that some others have. This idea doesn't work otherwise. The insight we gain as a whole seems worth trying. Maybe I am just daydreaming but I think so many people having to hold themselves back in fear is not healthy. I hope that can change for people someday. All people. 

40 minutes ago, Silence4now said:

Maybe I am just daydreaming but I think so many people having to hold themselves back in fear is not healthy. I hope that can change for people someday.

I hope so as well. But for now I'd rather keep my identity to myself. I admire those who have the courage to be open about their sexuality, but I don't have the courage right now. Maybe I can be open about it too in the future.

Anthracite_Impreza

I would, but there's not an awful lot to say on the asexuality front. I never banged anyone, the end?

Anonymously for me too. But like others, I'm not sure I have much to say.

I'm open, and happily talk about asexuality. 

DarkStormyKnight

I'm totally willing to help if you need it. :) whatever format's easiest for you works!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SorryAnonymous said:

I am really surprised how many willing to share.    

There has not been, to my knowledge, any social awareness event in history that did not eventually bring a greater acceptance in society as a whole. It starts with a few brave souls that will put themselves on the line for that. Not everyone has that ability due to the harm it places them or loved ones in. The ones who are able to join that effort lay the foundation for future generations to build upon and eventually feel they are safely at home. More awareness of social issues will bring greater acceptance of individual lives... 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'd be able to share if you want.

In terms of openness, I am out to a small number of friends, and also my parents and my sister. I still basically act like like I'm closeted though, but in a way that I don't really know the best way to describe it. Like, if someone just straight up asked me what my sexuality is, I don't think I would have too big of an issue answering. But that's not a thing that people generally do, and barring that I pretty much just avoid the subject. (Come to think of it, I act like that for a lot of things in my life. I tend to be a very private person.)

I get nervous about telling people, but why? I'm not sure. Everyone I've told so far has had a positive reaction. I think it's that I'm worried people will see me as weird or different because of it. Like, I'm there's already enough other things that make me weird and different and not fit in anywhere, I don't need to be adding more stuff on top of all that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't mind sharing anonymously, preferably with question prompts though. Not great otherwise.

Archived