Gen Xers or older. No matter which side you are on talk.

Switters

Infinite fence to me means a belief that one must be on one side. Every philosophy or religion insists we are one or the other. Sorry most say that. The infinite fence is the endless Idea that we are A or B. Alpha Omega. Black or white

Phantasmal Fingers
18 minutes ago, Switters said:

Infinite fence to me means a belief that one must be on one side. Every philosophy or religion insists we are one or the other. Sorry most say that. The infinite fence is the endless Idea that we are A or B. Alpha Omega. Black or white

Okay, so it's a dualistic perception then. In other words it's dvaita rather than advaita, Ramanuja rather than Shankhara in Vedantic terms. I chime in with the nondual, with the Madhyammika (Middle Way) in Buddhism, for example, particularly the prasangika. Although the path is a pathless path as the extremes 'it' runs between are experientially real yet ultimately illusory...

And you see this infinite divide you speak about as separating different generations, for example? Is that so?

And you started this thread because of some sort of fascination with the experiences of people older than yourself which you wish to hear about?

Phantasmal Fingers
2 hours ago, Switters said:

I would just like to hear from former generations what they feel about sexuality.

Hmmm...

I'm aro-ace and - on these boards - quite possibly eccentric, as I don't see asexuality as a sexual orientation, but the lack of one. I'm also very happy about being this way inclined, although if you stick around here long enough you'll cyber-meet others who aren't. So in a sense I don't really think I can answer your question. 🤨

Wow big leap. You have attached many profound things to what I said. No. It is nothing so profound. I would just like to hear voices that aren't mine

3 minutes ago, Moderne Jazzhanden said:

Hmmm...

I'm aro-ace and - on these boards - quite possibly eccentric, as I don't see asexuality as a sexual orientation, but the lack of one. I'm also very happy about being this way inclined, although if you stick around here long enough you'll cyber-meet others who aren't. So in a sense I don't really think I can answer your question. 🤨

Actually I haver learned a lot by your non statement. Lack of one is a beautiful phrase. 

Phantasmal Fingers
2 hours ago, Switters said:

Don't fence me in Thyristor.

Fences again! 😮 🙂

That was an interesting comment, @Switters, given that Thyristor had just told you (s)he was leaving the thread! 

Phantasmal Fingers
2 minutes ago, Switters said:

Thank you

You're welcome! 🙂

giphy.gif

I genuinely have no idea what this thread is. @Switters I don’t mean this derogatorily at all but is English not your native language? I’m really struggling to understand what you’re trying to say/ask.

I am not Gen X but I have been called "Gen X as fuck" before by a Gen X, so I don't know which upon which side of the fence of sideways eight I fall.

I mean, I know I'm a millennial, though, because my life has been shaped by the things that made comings of age distinct. But I guess I'm not very millennial in the sense that I have a job that pays okay and I've been able to live a life without being constantly yelled at by my parents. (That might have more to do with competent parenting, though, than the annual time frame within which my natality falls.)

And before accusations are implied or declared, I am not using this language out of mockery. I am merely enjoying myself through an unusual use of words, because I've had a lot of coffee and feel inspired.

Phantasmal Fingers
16 minutes ago, CBC said:

"Remember that song from 1998?", that sort of thing. No, no I don't. I mean, occasionally I do, but often I don't.

Hehehe. :lol: 

I grew up listening to my parents classical music collection so I know exactly what you mean. My brother jokes that I have no time for any music written after 1750. Actually, that's a slight exaggeration. :P

The first rock/pop record (actually a cassette) I ever bought was "The Dark Side of The Moon" in a bazaar in Cairo, in 1992 at the age of 27. 

Phantasmal Fingers
1 hour ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

giphy.gif

I genuinely have no idea what this thread is. @Switters I don’t mean this derogatorily at all but is English not your native language? I’m really struggling to understand what you’re trying to say/ask.

I do!

I can see where Switters is coming from but then I'm a weirdo myself, so. As @CBC might've said herself, but didn't! :P

Phantasmal Fingers
13 minutes ago, CBC said:

That's pretty relatable. :D 

1998 I was mostly listening to Mozart horn concertos, obsessing over Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington and other big band/swing music from the 30s and 40s, and dipping into all my dad's folk (and some jazz) stuff that was mostly from the 60s and 70s. 

I like all three of those three names you mention! 😁 I think we might both be Denis Brain fans?! 😆

Anyway, in terms of Jazz late 50's bebop is where it's at for me- "Kind of Blue" and all that stuff. 

I do like some other more modern things though. 6 years on from Cairo - in 1998 - I bought another bootleg cassette, this time in Bangkok - a greatest hits compilation by The Smiths. 🤔 🤨

Phantasmal Fingers

Yes, I heard about Barry Tuckwell. 😕       

Once heard him in the 80's playing one of the Mozart Concerti. 🙂

I am boomer generation, I think, but find all the generational names, insults and stereotypes incredibly irritating.  I never wanted to marry, date, have kids or anything like that.  

I had a little wind up gramophone when I was little and used to play recordings on it of Strauss waltzes, E. Power Biggs  playing the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Wagner's Flying Dutchman overture etc etc.  You had to get back to it quickly and rewind it regularly, or everything went very slow and the sound went very deep.  From my six years' older sister's room you would hear The Rolling Stones and The Beatles on a radio.  She was normal. :P I think Radio Caroline was a thing then, and she listened to that a lot.

Can... can we agree on one set of numbers to make this work? I can't relate to "generation XYZ" vs "generation ZYX" at all to begin with, but having no idea what age is being referred to at all is particularly unhelpful :D

If the ages cited are correct, then I qualify as GenX, about which I give as many f@**s as I've bent bedsprings with people. 

The only real difference between generations is that today people have an Internet which we didn't as teenagers 

Phantasmal Fingers
1 hour ago, Homer said:

Can... can we agree on one set of numbers to make this work? 

Isn't it working anyway?

This thread would seem to be about growing up asexual and how communicating with people of different generations can be difficult at first as your cultural references may be rather different. Hence it's difficult to compare experiences. 

Why do we need any numbers at all? 

Phantasmal Fingers
15 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

The only real difference between generations is that today people have an Internet which we didn't as teenagers 

I'm thinking now about Britain in my lifetime...

What about 'the pill' ? What about 'women's lib' and feminism? What about gay rights? What about the Sex Discrimination Act? What about the Race Relations Act? What about the end of colonialism? What about the end of the Cold War and the imminent threat of disappearing in a mushroom shaped cloud? What about the end of state funded Higher Education? What about living in a post industrial society? What about the passing of the 'job for life' culture? What about budget airlines and ordinary peoples' access to foreign travel? What about the increasing visibility of all sorts of minorities, including ourselves? 

And, more significantly, what about pub closures, the rise of CAMRA and Real Ale and the Craft Beer revolution? :P

I'm on the younger end of Gen X. I pretty much admire how the younger generations are so much more open and knowledgeable about sex. I kinda wish that I had grown up in that kind of environment, though they have a lot of other issues I'm glad I'm not facing.

Phantasmal Fingers
4 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I'm on the younger end of Gen X. I pretty much admire how the younger generations are so much more open and knowledgeable about sex. I kinda wish that I had grown up in that kind of environment

Indeed. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

... though they have a lot of other issues I'm glad I'm not facing.

Like chronic lack of privacy, as far as I can tell! 🤔

Childhood was hard enough, I am so glad I didn't have a like counter on everything I did. Good god.

No offense intended to the OP, but I'm not entirely clear on the intent of this thread either. If it's about generations, I didn't have a lot in common with my own generation (teens from late 1960s to early 1970s), but I don't know how much or how little being asexual had to do with that (not that I knew about asexuality that long ago). I suspect the bigger issue was being a nerd and not into a lot of popular music/culture/slang/partying/etc. that most of my contemporaries were into. By the same token I find I relate more to people of various generations that have some of the same nerdy interests. Then again, I also find people from different generations can and do have different reference points that can have some impact on things like relatability and communication, but that can happen between different locations, too, and other factors. For example, I may make a reference to a tv show that was well-known in my youth that maybe a lot of younger people have no knowledge of, but then again, maybe people from the UK who are my age may not know about it either.

That doesn't mean I don't want to hear from them. I get along with people from various places and generations, and find some of the different reference points interesting. (and some people from my own generation are annoying)

As for fences, they can make for good neighbors, as someone once said. :P (especially when it prevents my neighbor's dog from coming over and doing its business in my yard)

8 hours ago, Homer said:

Can... can we agree on one set of numbers to make this work? I can't relate to "generation XYZ" vs "generation ZYX" at all to begin with, but having no idea what age is being referred to at all is particularly unhelpful :D

Nah -- I'm still stuck on the wonderful fact that other people besides me like 50s-60s jazz.  Although I think that CBC said something about that some years ago.  I have listened to the Kind of Blue album so often, I can hum every piece on it.  

I have no idea what generation I am and it doesn't matter, and sorry, @Switters, I couldn't understand any of your posts.  

Phantasmal Fingers

🤨

On 2/1/2020 at 4:40 AM, CBC said:

I feel like I remember you saying something about being very close in age to my parents (dad was born in 1940, mum in 1944) and they're the tail end of the Silent Generation, I believe.

But yeah, agreed on the "it doesn't matter".

It certainly doesn't at AVEN meets, which is refreshing and quite noticeable. 🙂 Though I sometimes get the impression that a 30 year age difference is initially more daunting for the 24 year old than it is for the 54 year old. 

I don't know if my story will be helpful, but I definitely fall into the "older" category (64 yo) so will have a crack at this. 

How do I feel about asexuality? How do I feel about breathing? It's an inherent trait in most of us here, and hopefully in time we come to accept who we are. In my case, I believe I've mostly  lived on the positive side of it; in not having emotional and sexual dependencies of my own, I've often been  able to be the "rock" in people's lives that they can lean on when they have relationship troubles, need a hand with cars and houses, and sick kids. This has been the case at work too, being able to jump into a crisis to help on short notice gained me a performance award more than once. I wasn't really able to appreciate this aspect of being an asexual until I got older, but now it's something I value a lot.

Archived