Times Of India — What is demisexuality? 5 ways to know if you are a demisexual

Homer

Thanks to the many dating apps available nowadays, finding a potential partner, if not falling in love, has become much easier. While the ease with which a person can shed his status single will make many excited, you just express your disinterest through a yawn.

Jan 28, 2020 — https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/relationships/love-sex/what-is-demisexuality-5-ways-to-know-if-you-are-a-demisexual/articleshow/73693509.cms

RoseGoesToYale

Hmm... I agree with three of the ways, but not the love-at-first-sight thing and the appearance thing.

I think the writer has confused love and lust. While it's certainly possible for a person to experience lust-at-first-sight (happens everyday to a lot of people) or even crush-at-first-sight, no one, sexual or otherwise, can just look at a complete stranger and suddenly experience a deep emotional connection or investment to them. It just doesn't work that way, you have to know at least something about the person, if not a lot more.

Simply put, looks are irrelevant to demisexuals

I... very much disagree. E.g. there are certain features I find pleasing on guys, and those guys I might even get crushes on, I just don't want to have sex with them even if they are nice to look at, nor would I until I possibly got to know them a lot better and built up trust with them. Plus it's not like demis only care about personality and they could be a total slob who never bathes or cleans their nails or does laundry, and we'd still go for them. We like clean appearances and good hygiene, too!

It also makes it sound like sexuals are all shallow and looks are the only basis for their sexual attraction.

Archived