Asexual Characters - Masterthread

(OP of "Asexual characters in movies or series?")

Hey! I was doing a search on asexual characters and the list was really short, so I though to myself: which characters do I sympathize with and find them to be asexual?

sherlock(BBC) for example is a complete ace in my opinion(but the fans keep ruining that with the johnlock ships!)

Dexter too, but only in the beginning of the series which I liked alot, but later on they completely turned him into a sexual person.

I think there are also Sheldon Cooper(TBBT), Luna Lovegood(Harry Potter), Newt Scamander(Fantastic beasts), Aziraphale and Crowley(Good Omens), & ...

it’s actually really hard to find an ace character cause there aren’t many, and that sucks...

So, Which characters do you find to be ace?

Edited by Quasar.w
added info due to merging threads
  • Like 1
TrustTheCloak

Is this for headcannons as well? Because if so, it's nice to think that Katniss Everdeen is asexual. When looking back at the books, it does make sense a lot of the time.

• Like 2

This might be a bit obscure (and possibly not up your alley) but Emma from 'Sidekick Squad' by C.B. Lee is revealed to not experiance sexual attraction or have an intrest in long term romantic relantionships. Basically she is Ace and Cupioromantic, though the author doesn't give her a label (as of the third book)

• Like 1

<-- The character that I am using for my profile picture is asexual. His name is Monkey D Luffy from anime series One Piece (1999-present).. :D

• Like 1
LiveLaugh(Love?)

Clariel from the Abhorsen book series. It's written by Garth Nix. She doesn't appear until the fourth book, but I thought the series was pretty good overall.

• Like 1

Alice Osman is an aroace author, and apparently her book Loveless is about an ace character (Georgia) going to university and working out she’s ace, having wanted romance for years. I haven’t read it, but it’s YA fiction and she’s won a few awards so she’s supposed to be a good author.

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou
  • Quina Quen of Final Fantasy 8
  • Tokiko Mima of Key the Metal Idol
  • Jughead of the Archie comics
  • The title character of the movie Malcolm
  • Iria in Zeiram
  • Christian Wolff in The Accountant
  • Dorothy in The Wiz
  • Like 2

Here's an obscure headcanon: I am convinced the protagonist of the 1971 film A New Leaf is aroace and he and Henrietta end up in a lovely QPR

• Like 1
Ash_AnimeAndCatFan

I have a few characters i know of that seem pretty Ace in my  opinion. 

Peridot from Steven universe

Alastor from Hazbin Hotel

Senku from Dr.Stone( Science over people)

Pidge from Voltron (Robots over people)

Saiki from the disastrous life of saiki k ( people are too crazy to be around)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
random-person

alice osman is an aromantic asexual author and she has 2 books that i have read with asexual charecters. First off all Loveless with an asexual aromantic charecter and radio silence with a demiasexual charecter. Their really good highly recomennd

• Like 1
fragglerocking

I’m about to read Loveless as soon as it arrives, I’ll let you know how it is.

I’m a bit late here, but Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire has a heteroromantic asexual protagonist. It’s actually where I first heard of the idea that romantic and sexual orientations are separate, thus leading me to my identity, so this book has a special place in my heart.

VeryAsexyIndeed

(OP of "Good books/movies with ace/aro characters?")

Hey hey friends!

I recently realized that I was aroace and it would be really fun to read a good book or watch a nice movie/series with asexual characters in it, and good asexual representation🖤🤍💜

Do y’all have any suggestions for good books/movies that you like?

🥰💖✌️🖤🤍💜💚

The only book I know that I think is good is ‘loveless’ by Alice Oseman, haven’t actually read it but she’s aroace so i think it should be good💖✌️

Edited by Quasar.w
  • Like 1

Sherlock TV series. I believe sherlock in the show is asexual, I think this is what the writers said but it isnt mentioned in the show though.

Edited by WinterMandalorian
  • Like 1
VeryAsexyIndeed
50 minutes ago, WinterMandalorian said:

Sherlock TV series. I believe sherlock in the show is asexual, I think this is what the writers said but it isnt mentioned in the show though.

Yeah I’ve heard about that! I did t realize it when I was watching it but it does make sense when you think about it🖤

A series I can recommend is Monk.

If you never heard about it: it's about a super intelligent asexual private detective with a lot of mental disorders who is hired by the police to uncover murderers. I like it so much because Monk is a really imperfect character which makes him so relatable. The atmosphere is sometimes funny with all the quirky thinks that Monk does, but it's also sometimes about serious issues.

Edited by mozart
  • Like 6

Good Omens has an adorable asexual romance, and the writer, Neil Gaiman, has said that his characters are ace. It is one of my favorite shows.

I'm sure you'll see this mentioned other places, but Bojack Horseman has an ace character named Todd who is honestly very well written.

I think representation in books can be limited- it is challenging to find canonically ace characters that aren't very minor side characters.

• Like 4

@mozart I am a huge Monk fan! I used to watch it all the time as a child. It's funny, I honestly never really thought of him as asexual, though it is really obvious now that I think about it.

• Like 2
VeryAsexyIndeed
50 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Here are some previous threads discussing asexual characters in books and/or films/TV series☺️

Hide contents

Thanks! I’m gonna check them out!☺️💖

• Like 3
On 1/18/2021 at 6:00 AM, Steel13 said:

Good Omens has an adorable asexual romance, and the writer, Neil Gaiman, has said that his characters are ace. It is one of my favorite shows.

Ooooh, I didn't know that! Terry Pratchett (who co-wrote the book) is one of my all-time favourite authors... for some reason I just haven't gotten around to read Good Omens, but now I really need to ^^

thecoffeecricket

(OP of "Asexual characters")

Do any of you have any favorite asexual characters? I'm looking to do a bit of reading/watching. There seems to be a popular consensus that Sherlock is an ace character. I've always thought of Beth from Little Women as ace. And back when Todd came out on Bojack Horseman, even though I myself hadn't realized I was asexual yet, I felt so...relieved and seen?

Any other characters?

Edited by Quasar.w
  • Like 3

Well, not a book or tv show, but Parvati in the game The Outer Worlds is asexual. Also the best character and has the best story ... yeah, absolutely the best part of the game (which is otherwise mediocre), now that I think about it.

• Like 1
Oberon Jasper

I have a theory that Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon A Time is graysexual. Other than that... I don't know too many others.

• Like 2

A few characters from various anime and manga come to mind:

Saiki from The Disastrous Life of Saiki K can be considered asexual due to his actions and statements on romance, etc. in the series

Queen from Devil's Line is actually canonically asexual (stated in the manga)

Levi from Attack on Titan can also be considered possibly asexual

Su-Won from Yona of the Dawn is also probably asexual

• Like 1

It is a common assumption that Charles "Charlie" Weasley (one of Ron's big brothers) from Harry Potter is ace/aro; when asked if Charlie is gay, J. K. Rowling replied "he is not" and "he's more interested in dragons than women". However besides that, Rowling didn't confirm or deny his asexuality or aromance. What she did confirm is that Charlie never married or had children. Source: https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Charles_Weasley

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, thecoffeecricket said:

I've always thought of Beth from Little Women as ace.

Yay, I'm not the only one that thinks this!

Some characters I can think of are Reyna from the Heroes of Olympus series and Elsa from Frozen (that's more of a headcanon, though).