antipsychotics and libido

Hi,

I've made a similar post before, but I thought I'd post again to see if anyone has anything else to say.

When I was 8 or 9, I was prescribed risperdal for tourettes. It was necessary at the time, and I continued taking it until a little more than a year ago. I'm 24 now.

In short, risperdal is known to kill libido. Until recently, I've never felt any libido at all, and I always just assumed that I was asexual, even though it didn't really seem to fit. Now that I've been off it for a year, it is there, and I enjoy masterbation, but I still can't imagine doing anything with a partner, even kissing. That being said, I still want it, I'm just not sure I can at the moment.

Obviously, I didn't have a libido at the age of 8, but I'm worried that because I took risperdal prior to and during puberty, it might have permanently weakened it.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? I've scowered the internet, and I've never found anyone with the same situation as mine. Please let me know if you think it will go back to the way it should have been.

I am a 24 year old hetero female.

Symptoms from a psych med should abate if you stop taking it, but you should talk with your psychiatrist about it if there is a significant change in anything related to your health. There's nothing anyone here can say that can give you more information than that.

Until then... don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable, but if you have a higher libido, take care of yourself.

Janus the Fox

That’s quite the med to be put on very early on sexual development.  If it was necessary then it’s that.  I’m lucky not to be put on medication for Tourettes-Autism until much later in life, treating the anxiety and depression behind mine.

I never had sexual attraction and very little libido at any point, meds or no meds.  I’ve checked with docs for the reasons of the meds and the neurological difference, it’s just a normal sexual variation so I take that for as it is for me.

I'm on Risperdal too, a year now, but also on HRT and other stuff...

My Libido is weak, not what it was before it.. It actually doesn't bother me... I more glad that it's a once per 3-4 weeks thing nowadays.

I guess everyone is different to how they respond to things.

I was on Risperidone from the age of 15 to 21. I do have very weak libido, which is quite possibly related to the medication. But then, it might as well just be me. I mean, I've probably had a low testosterone level even before that. My behavior was less masculine than that of my peers, even in elementary. Put me next to the other males in my family and you'll immediately notice I'm much thinner in body and limbs, have an even slimmer waist and very little body hair, which quite contrasts with other male family members who all look like bears. It's difficult to say what was caused by the meds and what is simply inherent to me, but likely part of it can be attributed to the medication.