Reincarnation

Do you...  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in anything like the afterlife

• Yes
    • No
    • Not a cooking clue
  2. 2. Do you think reincarnation is possible?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not a cooking clue
  3. 3. Would you play with a Ouji board?

• Yes
    • No
    • What is that?

I am bored outta my mind and been reading A LOT of things with reincarnation.

I dont think I believe in it but I wondered what others thoughts were. A friend once said that she believed she was a competitive swimmer in her past life and all I could think about was the swimming scene from Life of Pi.

Im looking for an intriguing discussion I guess.

Do you think its possible to reincarnate or have past lives?

You have anything to suggest to you that its real?

Any interesting article or links I could take a gander at?

2 minutes ago, CBC said:

Don't believe in an afterlife, don't think reincarnation is possible, and hell yeah I'd play with a Ouija board. 🙃

Meet up for drinks at midnight and play a game 😂

No afterlife, no reincarnation, and i don't put much thought into Oujia boards. If someone pulls one out, I might join in just for something to do, but it's jsut another gimmick

I'm one of those switch off people. Death is just death. The world goes on, you don't.

But I'm happy to play with an Ouija board. Messing with people is fun and scared people are entertaining.

Reincarnation is theoretically possible. If everything come back to state zero and reset over and over, you'd just die and live again blissfully unaware you have died. This only works if primordial b-modes are never found.

1 minute ago, Phoenix the II said:

No it is not fun at all 😕 

I've had plenty of time staying up late camping and stuff playing with ghosts and scaring people. It beats staring at the wall. I don't even believe in anything supernatural, but scares are fun. Some people get infectious in their excitement. Now, being scared isn't fun, but if someone is willing to go there, let's go.

RoseGoesToYale

No idea about an afterlife. Reincarnation? Yes, because if the human soul is some form of energy, and according to the laws of physics energy can neither be created nor destroyed, then not only have all our souls always existed within the universe, at the cessation of bodily function, that energy can't just disappear... it has to go somewhere and do something. The question is where and what?

And ouija boards? Why not, haha!

24 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

Why would anyone want to go through this shitfest again?

To keep learning and growing. Besides, it's only a shitfest if you are focusing only on the negatives.

I don't pretend to know what happens after death. It could be different for everyone. But I believe that there could be some traces left here sometimes.

Reincarnation seems unlikely because it goes against entropy but possession...?

I have experienced very strong ill feelings about some places so I would not mess with ghosts or encourage anyone else with this. Even though I was into occult...

19 minutes ago, Saphoune said:

Reincarnation seems unlikely because it goes against entropy but possession...?

If you dont mind me asking if you could clarify on this a bit 😅

33 minutes ago, GatsbyGirl said:

If you dont mind me asking if you could clarify on this a bit 😅

One law of the nature is entropy, the tendency to disorder/randomisation. When there is order there are other specific mechanisms working.

Reincarnation means that the soul of somebody is pushed back to a new body. This fact already seems pretty orderly to me. If there is a clear direction (a good body for the good people) like in buddhist beliefs then it needs to be supervised by something or somebody.

Possession would make more sense: ghost may appear at random then the ghost themselves can initiate possessions.

This is just my take on it.

4 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

No idea about an afterlife. Reincarnation? Yes, because if the human soul is some form of energy, and according to the laws of physics energy can neither be created nor destroyed, then not only have all our souls always existed within the universe, at the cessation of bodily function, that energy can't just disappear... it has to go somewhere and do something. The question is where and what?

And ouija boards? Why not, haha!

a spoon being held in my hand is a kind of energy, you could just as easily say. but most of the universe doesn't know or care about spoons or hands or english used to express spoons and hands. the energy that is a spoon in my hand will never be destroyed, but well I'm not going to hold this spoon forever. pseudoscience ain't a great way to consider things

ExquisiteMystery

I'm a tenative yes, on this. I am fairly sure I've met people I've known in previous lives. More than once, I've had intense, immediate,  rapport with a complete stranger (during work, no less). That both of us recognized, and acknowledged (including the awkward strangeness of it), then never met again.

Also have had super realistic dreams about places/times I have never been, in bodies that were not mine. I picture-checked as well as I could.

But, I have never seen human ghosts. And tend to follow some sort of karmic belief. Not "good" and "bad", more "helpful/kind" and "destructive/selfish" as compasses.  I think reincarnation is probably fast.  And I'd like to think you could take a rest break if needed. I don't believe species is a barrier.

48 minutes ago, Saphoune said:

One law of the nature is entropy, the tendency to disorder/randomisation. When there is order there are other specific mechanisms working.

Reincarnation means that the soul of somebody is pushed back to a new body. This fact already seems pretty orderly to me. If there is a clear direction (a good body for the good people) like in buddhist beliefs then it needs to be supervised by something or somebody.

Possession would make more sense: ghost may appear at random then the ghost themselves can initiate possessions.

This is just my take on it.

That is really interesting. 

10 minutes ago, Miss A said:

And tend to follow some sort of karmic belief. Not "good" and "bad", more "helpful/kind" and "destructive/selfish" as compasses. 

The Karmic belief is also interesting cause I think it go against a lot of ideals as well and they clash. Especially when in stories you have to be considered 'worthy' to be reborn.

ExquisiteMystery
29 minutes ago, GatsbyGirl said:

The Karmic belief is also interesting cause I think it go against a lot of ideals as well and they clash. Especially when in stories you have to be considered 'worthy' to be reborn.

Agreed, it is interesting. There is definite disagreement between Buddhist and Hindu versions. I think sometimes it's a translation error/ translator's bias. So I would triple check important points.

I tend to vote, anyone can get reincarnated, though they may not be happy they made that choice (if they were horrible in a previous life).

Big no on the 3rd question. I mean, at best case scenario, I find it kind of pointless. At worst, it could be a very scary experience.

Also, everytime I hear about the board thingy, I'm always being reminded of this video.

1. No

2. No. Even if I did believe in an afterlife I’d hope it wasn’t reincarnation, having to live another life in this shit world.

3. Sure

No afterlife, no reincarnation, and I kind of want to play with one. 👀 They seem to really freak people out. I don't think anything would happen but if it did, that'd be cool. Or really scary. Either way, could be fun.

The thought of  an oiuja board creeps me out. Any time on TV, it just makes me very tense

The first 2 - not a lie. No opinion

RoseGoesToYale
8 hours ago, gisiebob said:

a spoon being held in my hand is a kind of energy, you could just as easily say. but most of the universe doesn't know or care about spoons or hands or english used to express spoons and hands. the energy that is a spoon in my hand will never be destroyed, but well I'm not going to hold this spoon forever. pseudoscience ain't a great way to consider things

A spoon is not energy, it is matter, and like all matter (including the corporeal human body) it will eventually break down and change form, the molecules recycled, but any energy contained within must go somewhere. The atoms in that spoon can never be destroyed, neither can any energy held by the spoon (potential, electrical, etc.)

There isn't enough scientific evidence to clearly suggest what the human (or any) soul is, as intangible things are quite hard to study. We haven't found an adequate measure with which to quantify it, but lack of laboratory evidence does not mean it is simply not there. I hypothesize that what we consider to be "soul" is in fact a form of energy, as it is capable of doing all manner of work and can be empirically observed (humans perceive individual souls in other living beings).

Lord Jade Cross
13 hours ago, GatsbyGirl said:

If we end up with the clown from IT you are on your own. 

*High fives Penniwise*  

Lord Jade Cross
13 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

Why would anyone want to go through this shitfest again?

My thoughts exactly

1: No I don't believe in afterlife. I'll find out when the time comes.

2: I don't see how it could be, so no. Even if I was a reincarnation of some previous life I don't have any memory of it, so it doesn't really matter to me either way.

3: Sure

7 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

A spoon is not energy, it is matter, and like all matter (including the corporeal human body) it will eventually break down and change form, the molecules recycled, but any energy contained within must go somewhere. The atoms in that spoon can never be destroyed, neither can any energy held by the spoon (potential, electrical, etc.)

There isn't enough scientific evidence to clearly suggest what the human (or any) soul is, as intangible things are quite hard to study. We haven't found an adequate measure with which to quantify it, but lack of laboratory evidence does not mean it is simply not there. I hypothesize that what we consider to be "soul" is in fact a form of energy, as it is capable of doing all manner of work and can be empirically observed (humans perceive individual souls in other living beings).

a spoon being  held in my hand is a number of states of energy, one of which is the mater that make up the spoon and my hand. when those quantums of states of existing go on to be something else they don't have any memory of having been involved in a spoon being held. energy does not contain information, it doesn't care about history. same is true with any sort of soul you'ld like to claim

edit: I forgot something important! I got nothing against spirituality. I certainly got nebulous faiths of my own. all I argue is that grounding spirituality in scientific understanding cheapens both.

My view is that life is a chemical interaction in a glob of goo. Once that is interrupted, consciousness ends. I don't see room for energies.

(That isn't to diss on anyone's views, I just have that outlook myself. I'd just need extraordinary proof to believe something.)

4 hours ago, Zagadka said:

My view is that life is a chemical interaction in a glob of goo. Once that is interrupted, consciousness ends. I don't see room for energies.

(That isn't to diss on anyone's views, I just have that outlook myself. I'd just need extraordinary proof to believe something.)

Interviewer: Thoughts on the meaning of life?

Me: We are glob of goo

Interview: What?

Me: What?

Archived