• Post graduate studies
    • Under graduate studies
    • Apprenticeshi/traineeship
    • Secondary school / high school
    • both study & employment
    • Unemployed
    • Internship
    • On disability
    • Leave of absense (like parental leave or just a sabbatical)
    • retired
    • Self employed
    • both self employed and employed
    • both self employed and studying
    • Zero hour contract
    • break between education years
    • full time parent
    • self employed, employed, and studying
    • other
  3. 3. For your jobs, based on your qualifications, are you

• Over employed
    • Right level of employment or qualifications
    • under employed
    • in education
    • not currently working
    • A little of coumn A, a little of column B, and a little of column C (or a combination of 2)
    • unsure
  4. 4. Highest level of education attained

• Masters / Doctorate
    • Professional qualification
    • trade qualification (electrician/carpenter)
    • other post graduate qualification
    • undergraduate graduate (degree / college university diploma / certificate
    • qualification between high school graduate and college diploma (in ireland, this is post leaving cert)
    • secondary school / high school graduate
    • primary school graduate
    • only went to primary school on the wet days
    • Other
  5. 5. Where do you work / study from usually

• regular office / place of education
    • various places
    • from home
    • my work is of a travelling nature so no set place of work
    • not in employment or education
    • other
  6. 6. Since November 2017, has your work situation,,,,

• improved
    • got worse
    • stayed the same
  7. 7. What is your future educational intentions

• Finished Education with no intentions at the minute for further education
    • currently working on furthering my education and intend to go further in education after completing current education module
    • currently working on furthering my education but won't do further exams after completing this
    • not currently but i intend to in the future
    • other

This poll is closed to new votes

one of these ones I like to repeat to keep the demographics of the polls current

and in spite of that, my answers are the same as november 2017

1) working

2) full time employment

3) right level of qualifications for job for the most part (sometimes i verge into overqualified and sometime when i have to do reception, it seems i'm underqualified for that ) seriously it should be a rule that everyone in an office works in receiption for a week, then they would appreciate the difficiulty of that role.

4) professional qualification, member of an accountancy body

5) regular office

6) stayed the same

7) it would have been july 2015 i think, since then i've been back working full time

8 Finished Education with no intentions at the minute for further education

I'm in a really unique situation so I'll give you a quick timeline of events:

• I got my master's in Spring 2018 (public health concentration in policy and management, I got my BA in 2016 in art with a minor in biology)
  • I was employed via a medical scrime company from about 2017 to 2018 (I was terminated, long story, I worked about 10 months)
  • Within 2-3 months of said terminate, I had a medical crisis. It put me out of work for about a year (and I had to drop out of a CNA program I was doing that was from fall-december 2018)
  • Around when I finished my treatment for said problem (about summer 2019) I got an independent contractor contract (so-to-speak, I never signed a contract determining the exact status of employment, I just signed a sheet showing what my exact job duties were - I NEVER signed a document stating the "end date" of said job duties) Legally speaking, I fully believe I was employed by legal definitions (emplyoed vs independent contractor) but the pain management clinic insisted I was an independent contractor (I didn't bother with court - I didn't want to burn bridges and I was just completely burned out by this)
    • Seriously: If I was aware the state of affairs this clinic was in when I got brought on to be their scribe, medical records clerk, and basically "miscellanious everything" (coder helping doctor out with patients, run errands for the clinic, etc.) behind the counter, I would have NOT taken the job. I was doing 100+ notes a week (this is pretty intense for those unaware of workflow). This clinic also had a disgruntled ex employee who was putting them through the ringer with legal stuff (despite how we had mountains of evidence against them)
  • I was "laid off" (not sure what the proper term is, I went into work and at the end of the day they gave me a letter basically saying "your services are no longer needed, we appreciate your professionalism) around December 2019.
  • I've been working as a personal assistant to a doctor (help him organize notes for legal documents, help him with medical coding and medical document archiving and EHR work) from about August/September 2019 because there was a questionable period between me and the doctor I was a record clerk for and myself and I'm still working as the assistant to the doctor today

I recently applied to a CDC position to actually use my Master's degree and I got an email from them basically saying "We are considering you - we will send you a questionaire shortly to fill out and if you do well with that, we will interview you and then if you do well with that, we'll give you an option of where to place you". Crossing my fingers things go well with the CDC stuff I'm kinda in limbo in right now. 

Right now I help with depositions for the doctor (summarize them and the like) as well as organize and write notes for legal cases where he's the expert witness in. 

I'm a full time truck driver, I work long and unsociable hours delivering to shops, many in areas not designed for the vehicles we take there, I originally trained as a mechanic (many years ago), but now it seems you have to be a computer whizz to work on vehicles, I'm useless when it comes to anything more than the basics with computers, if you tell me a computer can do something, I just have to believe you as I haven't got a clue....

I have been looking to get out of driving as employers just expect miracles, do this faster, you're not meeting the averages, this is wrong, that's wrong, you're wrong, bullying is rife in this industry, I need to get out, the trouble is, my age is against me, I'm over 50, I know the law when it comes to employment, so I can't be "moulded" so basically, I stay as a driver till I die or I try education, I'm looking to enrol at night school if I can find a course that runs on Tuesdays that's suitable for me, Tuesdays are my weekends, other than that, I start at silly o'clock in the morning

Working full time at a regular office. Underemployed since I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Finance, but the minimum qualification for my job is a high school diploma, associate’s degree preferred. My situation has gotten a little bit better since 2017 since I’m making a little more money now. I’m done with school.

Kinda complicated. Not entirely sure how to answer.

I have a US high school diploma and that’s it. Minimally qualified for entry level positions in the US.

I do have 8 years of experience in healthcare, again in the US. I’m certified to provide basic life support and mental health first aid. I was under-qualified and overpaid in the US.

... Which is all utterly useless here in the UK. I have the education equivalent to a British 14 year old and my experience is irrelevant. I have zero British qualifications. 

I had/have loads of care homes and agencies inviting me to interviews and calling to recruit me. A carer here is minimum wage and has no real educational requirements. My experience makes me overqualified. But no other job in health and medicine will take me due to lack of qualifications. So I started work as a carer at a local care home. I was doing about 20x more physical labor than my previous roles with 4 more hours a week, no flexible hours, no breaks, and all for a tiny fraction of the income I left behind. I quit yesterday after 2 weeks. Couldn’t do it. It was destroying me.

I’m now looking for jobs again. Except this time, I’m even less qualified because I’m looking at things like retail. I have no experience in anything like that. It’s just become my only option.

So yeah. My work situation since 2017 has gone from fantastic to complete shit.

I have no intention of furthering my education unless I have to and an employer will pay for it. I certainly would not be able to do a degree. I was never any good at academics. I’m not intelligent and struggle to learn new information and memorize things. I’m a hands-on learner and get virtually nothing out of a classroom. I barely graduated high school and it was the worst 4 years of my life that I can recall. I don’t think I could cope with the stress of a more intense high school-like experience, especially if I have to be near college or university students. I can’t tolerate teens and uni kids well.

My education and career paths never met. I went to school to become a teacher, but I've always worked in tech. I am self employed in IT and going back to community college for general education (really, something to do). I've never had formal tech education, just experience. Guess I fall into the cracks in the system.

1. Working!

2. Full time, that is. (Only 37% of respondents fall into this so far? Aven seems absurdly skewed then! 😮 Though potentially that's just the age-spread, which is to be expected to be on the lower end I suppose)

3. I voted right level of employment... though it's a tough call. I have a Bachelor's, but I have colleagues from no relevant degree to people with doctorates among my colleagues, so I don't really think there's a hard "correctly qualified" based on education 😕

4. Undergrad (I think; didn't go to college in the US - that's what you call a bachelor's, right?)

5. Office! Love our office space, it's pretty darn awesome ❤️

6. Same employer, same job! (Well, different title I suppose. Still considering it the same work situation though)

7. No intention to further my education. As much as I liked going to school (I really did!), the moment I had my first professional job (or rather internship) in my current industry (software development), I knew I could never go back to just studying full time, and that has proven true. As much as I like learning new things, working is just more fun! :) (And there's plenty to learn that way as well!)

11 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

2. Full time, that is. (Only 37% of respondents fall into this so far? Aven seems absurdly skewed then! 😮 Though potentially that's just the age-spread, which is to be expected to be on the lower end I suppose

Looking at irish cso figures, it seems of people aged over 15, full time employment is 47%

Looking at my own job, there are 8 people including 2 directors. 2 directors are considered self employed.

Of the remaining 6, I would be the only full time employee so 12.5% rate 

Child care would be a factor for others

I’ve always been part-time due to health problems. I can’t manage more than about 24-26 hours a week.

WanderingKate

1) Working 

2) Full-time 

3) Right level of employment. 

4) Bachelors degree (4 years in college) 

5) Regular office...wish I could work from home though!

6) Greatly improved, seeing that I was still working my part-time college job making minimum wage in 2017. 

7) Finished education, no real plans to return right now. Not in the mood for more loans and homework these days :D

Working 

Self employed and employed 

Underemployed 

Made it to uni, but didn't complete the course 

Home

Stayed the same

No

@Dreamer23, couple of reasons why the "unemployed" figure is low, self-employed are categorised separately, and the general AVEN membership is at the younger end of the spectrum, hence the higher proportion in education. 

I'm not working, but it's because I am retired, so I don't consider myself unemployed. I consider education a lifelong activity, although maybe not always formally enrolled in or attending a school.

J. van Deijck

1. less detailed - what is your current employment status: Working. Not sure if working nad education applies to me since the only education I have now is the language, although it's for the benefit of work as well.

2. More detailed - what is your current employment status: Employed full time.

3. For your jobs, based on your qualifications, are you:  Right level employment I guess?

4. Highest level of education attained: Not sure about this one. I have two diplomas (electrician and computer technician), both at the technician level as I've never reached the engineer degree. (Never tried tbh)

5. Where do you work / study from usually: Various places I think. Most of the time i prepare cables on formboards, but sometimes j work inside the train car. I never work from home, though.

6. Since November 2017, has your work situation: Improved a lot. I changed my workplace and now I am better paid and I have a better boss.

7. What is your future educational intentions: For now, the only education I want to follow is the language classes.

Fulltime (though might not seem like it when my hours are compared to the regular teachers' hours) teacher (specifically an Assistant Language Teacher) working in Japan. This summer I'll be looking for a job back in the States though, hopefully will land substituting positions and eventually a fulltime teacher in a school district back home.

I intend to go back to school to get a Master's in TESOL/TEFOL even if it looks like I'll be living in the USofA for the foreseeable future. Not sure how I feel about that yet, we'll see. 

• 5 months later...

Working full time. Completed masters' degree. I intend to start a doctorate one day in the near future (2 to 4 years in the future).

Unsure if my employment corresponds to my level of education. I feel like I could do more, in my field, but also like my job required me to learn skills I didn't have. So it's a bit of both.

Janus the Fox

A fully qualified Undergrad in Computing, due to this I can be seen both as underqualified and overqualified in a lot of areas.  Never been able to work, disabled, in care and caring for parents. 

Social disability means not being remotely practice Information Systems Analysis, Project Management or necessary Business Analysis.  I do intend to try my luck for a Business Information Systems Degree up to a Masters, Possibly looking into Systems Theory up to PhD.  At the moment, because my degree triggered a serious mental illness, I'm best advised not to go ahead with this or a job for my own safety, needs approval of 2 doctors first.  Physical volunteering either but have been advised on 'doing as much online volunteering or projects at my own pace as stress free and as comfortable as possible.

I have care responsibilities so that's another issue, keeping busy otherwise, there isn't a day I'm bored to think about anything like a lack of a job etc.  It would be also useful if Degree Grants where a thing again.  Any further education later in my life would be to have no intention to work in that field, just my own curiosity as the reality is that both parents and partner pass of their illnesses or old age, if i don't pass first.

I do also hold an IMI Level 1, that's a very basic Trade Qualification in Motor Vehicle Maintenance, but got pulled out of the course after the 1st of 3 years due to physically looking ill trying to do the actual work and the best advice is doing something academic again.

fooledbysecrecy

i'm one of them blasted unskilled eu immigrants :P before covid worked in a shop, part time contract but lots of over time (paid, thankfully), currently furloughed.

no education after high school/a-levels/whatever might be the equivalent.

• 2 months later...
CrazyCatLover

My answers have definitely changed since I filled out this poll (recent grad), so I'll write them in here.

1. Working 

2. Employed full time

3. right level of employment for qualifications

4. undergraduate degree

5. I work at a hospital 

6. my work situation has improved since Nov 2017

7. Planning to enroll in school for further studies in January. My eventual goal is a doctorate of nursing practice. 

sSevenOfSpadeƧƨ

What does only went to primary school on the wet days mean? I prolly sound kinda dumb haha

1) Working

2) Employed full time

3) Right level of employment or qualifications 

4) Master's degree

5) Regular office (for now...I'm probably going to be working from home sooner or later)

6) Improved - in 2017 I was still in uni

7) Finished education with no intentions at the minute for further education

• 1 month later...

I will start to answer gradually:
1. working and education
2. Employed Part time
3.under employed
4. qualification between high school graduate and college diploma (in ireland, this is post leaving cert)
5. my work is of a travelling nature so no set place of work
6. improved
7. currently working on furthering my education and intend to go further in education after completing current education module

• 2 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived