Does a fear of intimacy count towards a person becoming Asexual?

Hi guys 

I have recently looked into the fear of intimacy and alot of factors of that I've found from that information I feel are related to me. I like the idea of being close with someone, going on trips together and stuff. However, now that I look back on relationships that I have had and I realise most of them I actually sabotaged myself. Through various elements I close myself off from my partner and find ways of driving them away instead of allowing them to get closer. 

So could it be that my fear of intimacy lead directly to me being Asexual? 

Guest xAveryx

I think there is a difference between fear of intimacy and asexuality. But I cant say much about it when I dont know what you exactly are afraid of. Is it only physical intimacy or emotional contact & intimacy? 

Lord Jade Cross

No, being asexual doesnt come with a fear of intimacy requirement. Plenty of allosexuals have trouble with intimacy because of its factor of vunerability. 

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, IceQueenn said:

I don't think so. I think fear of intimacy and being an asexual are too different things.

However, it theoretically could make a person effectively asexual.

And - on top of that - my more radical view is that people who are effectively asexual due to "...Issues..." have a right to refuse "fixing" their "...Issues..." and instead accept their condition (in the philosophical, not medical sense! As in "Conditio Humana", not in "She is suffering from a cardiovascular condition") and identify as asexual.

For me... I don't know what would be my orientation if I didn't suffer from allergy and didn't have such bad skin. But it certainly was a decisive factor in the development of my nudity aversion and, as a result, sex aversion. And yet... no, I refuse to "do anything about it". My allergy seems incurable anyway, I have spent years trying to treat it and the most I can achieve is a moderate alleviation of symptoms. But I explicitly do not want to ever become comfortable with sex and nudity. I'm sex-averse and nudity-averse to the point that I don't want a potential future in which I could have sex to ever come true. This is my hard limit. To be honest: while I actually believe that after 30+ years of strong nudity aversion even some miracle making me healthy wouldn't make me nudity-indifferent - even just because I'm extremely unused to dealing with non-solitary nudity - if there was some mechanism which, in the absense of my illness, would suddenly make me comfortable with the idea of having sex, then I would not even want to be healthy. Because I have always been nudity-averse and sex-averse and explicitly don't want to change it.