Crush vs. Squish

Abigail Rose

I am not sure I understand the difference between what a crush and a squish is. Can someone help me understand better? Thanks in advance. Silence4now. 

A squish is often called a platonic form of a crush. Basically, a squish is wanting to hang out with the person you're interested in, spending time with them, and having long discussions over points of interest, etc. However, I've never wanted to go beyond that point, no hand holding, kissing, cuddling, etc. I just feel happy being in the other person's presence.

If a person is crushing on another person, then they'll be wanting to do all the cuddling, hand holding, flirting, kissing, and such and probably more, as well as having conversations, spending time with them, etc.

I hope that kind of helps! It's a confusing thing to figure out. :)

it can depend on the person, personally anyone i may have had a squish on i wanted to cuddle and hold hands with. i'm a pretty possessive person (not to an unhealthy point) when it comes anyone who i could have a queerplatonic relationship with. Or if their my best friend blah blah. So I might be ridiculously huggy to tell my jealousy to shut the fuck up. 

As above, I've had varying degrees of attraction on my squishes. From simple 'I want to hang out a lot' to 'I want to cuddle on the couch and watch a movie', to qpr. Right now I'm stuck on the between of romantic and platonic with my squish. Like, if he were to ask me out I wouldn't say no, but I'm also fine being friends.

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

A squish is often called a platonic form of a crush. Basically, a squish is wanting to hang out with the person you're interested in, spending time with them, and having long discussions over points of interest, etc. However, I've never wanted to go beyond that point, no hand holding, kissing, cuddling, etc. I just feel happy being in the other person's presence.

If a person is crushing on another person, then they'll be wanting to do all the cuddling, hand holding, flirting, kissing, and such and probably more, as well as having conversations, spending time with them, etc.

I hope that kind of helps! It's a confusing thing to figure out. :)

I find that most helpful. I had read the terms but I just didn't understand the concept I guess. Squish seems far more appealing to me. Thanks.🌸

if you'ld further benefit from some scrupled analogy, maybe consider the king and queen chess pieces. both are very important, but in very different ways. one you must protect at all costs, the other knows karate and that's the coolest thing in the universe.

I've moved this thread from "Questions about Asexuality" to "Romantic and Aromantic Orientations".

Michael Tannock,
Open Mic moderator and Questions about Asexuality Co-moderator.

• 3 weeks later...

it's a struggle. i've been trying to figure out my romantic side. i don't know if i actually do have crushes or they're just squishes. or nothing at all.

my first ever "crush" was a guy 7 years ago when we both started a new job together. took me a couple years to figure out that hey i'm actually asexual and possibly aromantic so that "crush" actually completely bypassed the squish phase and turned into some sort of a QPR. we're super close friends and it's so platonic that it's funny because everybody thinks we're dating or we should date. we just look at each other and laugh.

the most recent "crush" was a girl i've been texting. we've actually known each other since kids but never really had any reason to talk to each other until a year ago. she reacted to an IG story and it just went from there. i honestly cannot tell the difference between crushes and squishes. i really did want to get to know her better and be friends. i find any reason to send her a message (she lives in a different country) and smile like an idiot when i see a text from her. so for my recent travel trip i decided to add her country to my itinerary and see what happens when we hang out. experienced some pretty strong squishy feelings for sure and i definitely would not have minded if it went further than that. the idea of romantic actions/gestures did not bother me, like i could see myself holding hands, hugging, cuddling/snuggling, maybe even kissing this person.. does that make it a crush?? i guess?? i don't know. but i'm a chicken shit and nothing happened. i went home.. went back to my normal life.. and the feelings started fading away. it's only been a week. i still smile like an idiot when she texts me, but the feelings are not as intense anymore. maybe because i know we're friends? and i'm content with just that.

long story short. still confused.

12 hours ago, LHan said:

the idea of romantic actions/gestures did not bother me, like i could see myself holding hands, hugging, cuddling/snuggling, maybe even kissing this person.. does that make it a crush?? i guess??

I would classify that as a crush if it was me experiencing what you described. But obviously we all experience things differently and draw the lines between crushes and squishes differently, so it's up to you if you do too.

Archived